PDA

View Full Version : Current Trail condition at Cheoah Bald?

STICK
02-03-2016, 17:23
Hello, I am just wondering how the trail conditions are at Cheoah Bald at the moment? Wet, snow? Also, anyone know how well the water source is at Sassafras? I believe it is generally a pretty good source, but just wanted to check up. Also, I came across some old threads that mentioned water somewhere possibly not far from Cheoah... I assumed they were not talking about at the shelter... Anyone know about this? Also, I figure it's unlikely, but any bear activity in that area at the moment? Anything else good to know?

Thanks in advance!

Tipi Walter
02-03-2016, 17:52
First off, check out this web cam taken in the Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock mountains very near Cheoah Bald---

http://www.fsvisimages.com/24.aspx?site=joki1

As far as I can tell conditions are snow-free but will change soon as here's the Robbinsville forecast---

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USNC0577

Up to this Sunday looks good (Feb 7) but then comes probably snow on the high peaks.

Regarding water on Cheoah Bald, there is supposed to be a source---Check out this old post---

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-53636.html

Here's the Directions when on top of the Bald---

Water on Cheoah Bald, There is a spring a couple hundred yards down the west side of the mountain. When you get into the trees, there are plastic ribbons tied on bushes marking the way. In the center of the field at the bottom of the bald, there is a farm/access "road bed". Follow this road for about 30 yards, right before the road turns to the right, there is an old orange flag/tape tied to a limb on the left side of the road. Follow this path, which is marked by an occasional orange flag/tape to the bottom of a small ravine/draw, about 30 yards. The "path" then turns to the right/down hill following the draw to a good spring/creek, about 20 yards. Overall it is around 3/10 of mile from the top of the bald to the water source, it is steep.

This is quite dated so the flagging may be gone.

This is from 2009 so who knows???

full conditions
02-03-2016, 17:54
Hello, I am just wondering how the trail conditions are at Cheoah Bald at the moment? Wet, snow? Also, anyone know how well the water source is at Sassafras? I believe it is generally a pretty good source, but just wanted to check up. Also, I came across some old threads that mentioned water somewhere possibly not far from Cheoah... I assumed they were not talking about at the shelter... Anyone know about this? Also, I figure it's unlikely, but any bear activity in that area at the moment? Anything else good to know?

Thanks in advance!
I haven't actually been up there recently but... You can see the summit from the parking lot of Ingles grocery store and as of yesterday, at least, it looked pretty snowy but I suspect that at this point, it can't be very deep - we've had a week of very warm temps. Hope this bit of non-information helps.

STICK
02-04-2016, 18:40
@Tipi and full conditions, thanks for the info. I appreciate it!