PDA

View Full Version : Vegan I Scream

ALLEGHENY
02-04-2016, 13:28
http://www.fox28.com/story/31139487/2016/02/04/ben-jerrys-rolls-out-vegan-versions-of-four-popular-ice-cream-flavors

Dogwood
02-04-2016, 14:08
Vegan non-dairy frozen dessert alternatives have been around for awhile. These are flavored well too:

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/product_groups/dairy-free-desserts Good variety of flavors

http://www.tastethedream.com/products/rd_frozen.php The bars, which by all visible and taste perceptions of mine, are vegan dairy free gluten free non-GMO ice cream bars.

Caveat: Just because somethings labeled organic, Vegan, dairy free, vegetarian, meat free, glatt kosher, etc doesn't make it a great food in my nutritional book. At least we have alternatives to choose from though if we want frozen desert that for all purposes are ice cream or ice cream substitutes.

Uriah
02-04-2016, 14:12
Caveat: Just because somethings labeled organic, Vegan, dairy free, vegetarian, meat free, glatt kosher, etc doesn't make it a great food in my nutritional...

To remain healthy I smoke organically-grown tobacco in my cigarettes.

Puddlefish
02-04-2016, 14:20
Half the frozen dairy like substances in the freezer case can't even legally be branded as ice cream anymore. More corn than cream.

perrymk
02-04-2016, 14:24
When I was a puppy we use to push frozen bananas through a Champion juicer (https://www.championjuicer.com/). Toss in some honey for sweetener (some vegans eat honey, otherwise use sugar), berries for flavor or use whatever flavoring one cares for. It made a surprisingly creamy frozen dessert similar to ice cream.

Dogwood
02-04-2016, 14:31
To remain healthy I smoke organically-grown tobacco in my cigarettes.

Healthier(healthy?) is an operative word here as being less dangerous doesn't mean it's healthy or necessarily safe. Smoking organically grown anything has unhealthy consequences. ;) You should go healthier. Get a vaporizer.

burger
02-04-2016, 14:39
FWIW, the Trader Joe's non-dairy ice cream is still the best I've tried. It's usually a lot cheaper than the alternatives, too. I'm psyched to try the B&J offerings.

Dogwood
02-04-2016, 15:07
When I was a puppy we use to push frozen bananas through a Champion juicer (https://www.championjuicer.com/). Toss in some honey for sweetener (some vegans eat honey, otherwise use sugar), berries for flavor or use whatever flavoring one cares for. It made a surprisingly creamy frozen dessert similar to ice cream.

We would add coconut cream to this recipe to get the fat texture that some Vegan "ice creams" are lacking. Took us a while but we learned how to avoid the grainy texture that coconut milks can create in this recipe. We would put into ice cube trays with a plastic sheet over the top and add toothpick popsickle stick handles. Kids loved em.

Uriah
02-04-2016, 15:25
Healthier(healthy?) is an operative word here as being less dangerous doesn't mean it's healthy or necessarily safe. Smoking organically grown anything has unhealthy consequences. ;) You should go healthier. Get a vaporizer.

Good point. Or maybe one of those skin patches.

We have to laugh at what's labeled healthy, don't we? The thing is when I want a snack (ala ice cream), I don't buy it because it's healthy. It's mainly to celebrate that it exists, and that I do too.

Vegan Packer
02-05-2016, 02:22
I make my own from scratch. It's super easy, and it tastes and has a texture that is just like the "real thing." Still, I will try the Ben and Jerry stuff. I have only mastered a few flavors, and nothing as exotic as these.

burger
02-05-2016, 10:41
I make my own from scratch. It's super easy, and it tastes and has a texture that is just like the "real thing." Still, I will try the Ben and Jerry stuff. I have only mastered a few flavors, and nothing as exotic as these.

Got a recipe?

Vegan Packer
02-05-2016, 16:29
Vegan Coffee Ice Cream

Makes 1 ½ Pints
½ cup of coconut “cream” (see note below)
1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup of Grade A Light Maple Syrup (see note below)
6 ounces of silken tofu
3 tablespoons of instant espresso powder (use more or less, to preference)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (use the real stuff)

Always have a can of coconut milk in your refrigerator. That way, you can make your ice cream anytime you want, instead of having to wait until the next day. Refrigerating the coconut milk causes the cream to become a solid and rise to the top of the can, so that you can skim just the thick cream from the can, and then you can drain and discard the water.

Before starting to make your ice cream, chill your ice cream storage container in the freezer. This will prevent the finished ice cream from melting during its transfer from your ice cream maker.

Skim ½ cup of the cream from the top of the refrigerated can of coconut milk. This usually works out to be half of the can, depending on brand.

Add all ingredients of a Vitamix or blender, and blend. Turn off the blender, and immediately add the mix to your ice cream maker. Follow the directions of the ice cream maker.

When finished, add your ice cream to the chilled storage container. You will need to freeze your ice cream for about two hours for it to fully firm up.

Note about the maple syrup: Any maple syrup will work. However, the darker the flavor, the more your ice cream will taste like maple. With light syrup, there is no maple flavor.

Note about the coconut milk: If you find that your ice cream tastes like coconut, change brands. I have good results using Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk.

Dogwood
02-05-2016, 19:20
Very nice recipes Vegan Packer. helps I like coffee flavors too. I have all those ingredients at home but have sweetened with cane sugar vanilla almond milk. I'm wondering if I can use that instead of the 100% REAL maple syrup w/ a pinch less REAL vanilla extract

Rocket Jones
02-05-2016, 19:28
Simple but tasty "ice cream" can be made by slicing and freezing bananas. Toss them into a food processor and buzz a while. You might have to scrape down the sides once or twice, but keep going. All at once, the bananas turn into a frozen creamy texture very similar to soft-serve. Add in some cocoa powder or peanut butter if you want.

burger
02-05-2016, 22:05
Vegan Coffee Ice Cream

Makes 1 ½ Pints
½ cup of coconut “cream” (see note below)
1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup of Grade A Light Maple Syrup (see note below)
6 ounces of silken tofu
3 tablespoons of instant espresso powder (use more or less, to preference)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (use the real stuff)

Always have a can of coconut milk in your refrigerator. That way, you can make your ice cream anytime you want, instead of having to wait until the next day. Refrigerating the coconut milk causes the cream to become a solid and rise to the top of the can, so that you can skim just the thick cream from the can, and then you can drain and discard the water.

Before starting to make your ice cream, chill your ice cream storage container in the freezer. This will prevent the finished ice cream from melting during its transfer from your ice cream maker.

Skim ½ cup of the cream from the top of the refrigerated can of coconut milk. This usually works out to be half of the can, depending on brand.

Add all ingredients of a Vitamix or blender, and blend. Turn off the blender, and immediately add the mix to your ice cream maker. Follow the directions of the ice cream maker.

When finished, add your ice cream to the chilled storage container. You will need to freeze your ice cream for about two hours for it to fully firm up.

Note about the maple syrup: Any maple syrup will work. However, the darker the flavor, the more your ice cream will taste like maple. With light syrup, there is no maple flavor.

Note about the coconut milk: If you find that your ice cream tastes like coconut, change brands. I have good results using Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk.

Sweet (literally and figuratively). I'll give it a try--thanks.

Vegan Packer
02-06-2016, 22:10
Very nice recipes Vegan Packer. helps I like coffee flavors too. I have all those ingredients at home but have sweetened with cane sugar vanilla almond milk. I'm wondering if I can use that instead of the 100% REAL maple syrup w/ a pinch less REAL vanilla extract

Sugar will work without a problem. I just try to do what I can to make things a bit healthier. I know: sugar is sugar is sugar, but I am trying to justify it. LOL