PDA

View Full Version : 1st time thru hiker from Northern Ireland

Ulster Man
02-04-2016, 16:47
My current prospective gearlist for my first AT hike in 2017. Any veteran AT hiker's opinions n weight, cost, quality of the gear etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks

Clothing:

COST: (£)

WEIGHT: (Grams)

Rab Microlight down jacket

Marmot Essence Rain Jacket

Marmot Essence Rain Pants

synthetic t shirts x2

baselayer top

Rab longtitude trousers

running shorts

socks

underwear

Northface cosmos hoody

Marmot precip Hat

Altura Pole Gloves

Marmot Evolution Gloves

Keen Koven shoes Waterproof

Sleep system

STS sleeping bag

STS reactor liner

Thermarest neoair xlite small

thermal longjohns

Down Booties

shelter:

Zpack duplex

(Split between me and trail buddy)

tyvek groundsheet

Backpack:

Osprey Exos 58

Other items:

Leki Micro Ti trekking poles

Microrocket Stove

MSR Titan Kettle 850ml

Long handle Ti Spoon

Sawyer mini

Water bottles

Trowel

Lightweight Towel

First Aid Kit

Assorted Dry Bags (inc food)

Petzl headtorch

Phone/Charger

Owned

Totals:

£
$

kg
16.1876lbs

DuneElliot
02-04-2016, 17:03
60oz for water bottles? Buy a couple of Smart Water bottles when you get to the US...they are a little over an oz each.

DuneElliot
02-04-2016, 17:04
Just realized you had it in grams...ignore me. There is no delete or edit function on this forum (and really needs to be)

Ulster Man
02-04-2016, 17:24
No problem. Noticed that no edit thing myself. Seems odd to not have that function. Anything else you noticed I could do with changing Whether it be cheaper alternative or lighter/more durable?

Slo-go'en
02-04-2016, 17:37
You get edit functions if you donate to the site, which is done as an incentive to do so.

This looks like a late winter/early spring gear list. If so, consider a longer pad to keep your feet off the ground.

Ulster Man
02-04-2016, 17:51
No problem will donate soon then :) Had purchased the down booties in hope that the neolite small would be ok also I'm only 5"7 so have found shorter mats to be perfectly fine even in near freezing temperatures in Ireland. I appreciate the advice on that though and something I'll look at.

DuneElliot
02-04-2016, 18:00
You get edit functions if you donate to the site, which is done as an incentive to do so.

Surprising since this is the only forum I'm a member of that doesn't include it as standard. Off topic, just odd

Ulster Man
02-04-2016, 18:58
I know it's asking quite a bit but could anyone go over the list and give a full review on it pro's and con's I'm still quite new to the lightweight gear market so someone with a more experienced eye would be better suited to critique it. Thanks

4eyedbuzzard
02-04-2016, 19:11
What time of year are you hiking, and are you NOBO or SOBO or flip-flop? And exactly which STS bag and liner are you considering?

Ulster Man
02-04-2016, 21:00
NOBO with another hiker from N.I.Looking to start in around mid April. The STS Spark SPI Bag and reactor bag liner.

4eyedbuzzard
02-04-2016, 21:29
NOBO with another hiker from N.I.Looking to start in around mid April. The STS Spark SPI Bag and reactor bag liner.Bag is EN rated 54°F comfort/46°F lower. Basically a summer bag. Even with the liner adding a few degrees (liner gets mixed reviews, but they won't add more than a few degrees), I think you need to reconsider the sleep setup. Even with wearing additional layers and down booties. Most would recommend a 20°F bag/setup minimum for a mid-April start, and keeping it until you're through GSMNP and higher elevations, maybe around Pearisburg, VA. Which is why I asked.

Many prefer the Sawyer squeeze over the mini. Holds up better, better flow, less clogging, etc. The pad length is a personal preference. I prefer full length, but I don't think it's a major issue.

The rest seems reasonable.

Slo-go'en
02-05-2016, 02:16
and down booties. Most would recommend a 20°F bag/setup minimum for a mid-April start, and keeping it until you're through GSMNP and higher elevations, maybe around Pearisburg, VA. Which is why I asked.

I've done several hikes from Springer in the early to mid April time frame with a 32°F bag and silk liner. That combo was a bit marginal for the April 1st start even with supplemental clothes (it was also a very wet spring), but was fine for the April 18th start. By mid April it's starting to warm up quickly, but a 50F average bag would definitely be very marginal until well into June.

Having used both the mini and full size Sawyer, definitely go with the big one.

Ulster Man
02-05-2016, 06:12
Thanks its small things like that which make the difference. Will upgrade to the SPII bag which is rated down to 2 degrees C. Is the mini sawyer really that bad for a single person's use? Haven't needed to use one before always used aquamira but wanted something quicker and easier for the trail.

Ulster Man
02-05-2016, 06:40
I'm now going to take the mini and Will is taking the squeeze so we can compare them side by side on the trail to get a real world review of them there based on our own experience with both.

chknfngrs
02-05-2016, 08:52
Rab xenon (synthetic) may perform better along the AT otherwise solid list

colorado_rob
02-05-2016, 10:19
Pretty decent kit, I'd lose the down booties though. I don't see any need whatsoever for those.

I agree on the larger Sawyer, I went with the mini briefly, went back to the larger model quickly, but I'm talking for hiking in Colorado. On the AT, I went with Aqua Mira, worked great, nice clear water sources along the AT really don't need a filter, just something to kill the microorganisms. Some don't even treat at all. I did.

I also agree you might be a tad chilly in that sleep setup a few nights. Wouldn't be the end of the world though. I own/use the a zpacks tent, and they are great UL tents, but because they are vented all around, they don't hold any warmth. Your 640 grams of sleeping bag might be better spent on a high quality mid-20 to 30 degree F bag (-5 to 0C). My 25 degree bag weighs less than 640 grams (if my math is right, it's about 1lb 5oz). Plenty of them out there, but yeah, expensive, $400 or so, what is that, about 250£.

FMP
02-05-2016, 12:09
First off, Clothing. I think you'll be able to cut out a significant amount of weight here
-Three shirts seems excessive. Ditch at least one. Use the saved weight for an extra pair of socks
-Two pairs of gloves seems excessive. Your jacket has pockets, one pair should do.
-Are the Keens carried? If so, that is way too much
-Certainly a preference, but carried underwear isn't necessarily needed IMO

Sleep System
-The Liner could be improved. For an extra 2oz, you could pick up a 50 degree Enlightened Equipment climashield quilt and have more flexible and likely warmer system. Would serve you well when the trail gets warmer.
-Small pads have always left me unsatisfied (pun INTENDED). Definitely a preference, but sleep is key on the trail so make sure you're comfortable with its size. The Klymit insulated static V lite is one of my favs.
-A little out there: Ditch the down booties. You have a significant amount of clothing you wont be wearing while you sleep, just shove it to the bottom of your bag for extra foot end warmth.

Shelter
-How do you split a Zpacks Duplex that doesn't have a removable inner/outter? Are you an accountant or something??
-The groundsheet is heavy. A sheet of polycryo (EX: Gossamer Gear. Other names: painters drop cloth, plastic, window insulation, etc...) the same size is a)cheaper and b) at least half the weight

Backpack
-Osprey is nice, and they carry well. An alternative in the same price range with larger capacity is the ULA Ohm (also framed). Will save 10+ ounces

Other Items
-A BRS-3000t canister stove weighs only 25 grams and costs ten bucks
-Cascade Designs trekking poles weigh less and cost less. Also come with flick locks.
-I hope you're bringing the back-flush syringe for the Sawyer Mini
-Natural trowels are free and weigh nothing

The best advice I can give though is that theory and practice are never the same. Put your gear through the wringer before you get out there so you don't have to make as many changes on the fly. If you can, buy used, and while trusting brands is a good thing, you don't always have to chase them. Good luck mate!

Ulster Man
02-05-2016, 12:45
Thanks for the detailed help mate I appreciate it. This is my first long distance hike attempt, having spent the last 4 years in the military I'm still used to carrying too much gear. lol I've tried to include clothes that I will be wearing as well as what will go in my pack on this list. I take what your saying about the booties on board, atm I'm considering them my luxury item for use in the tent if I get stuck in it all day in a bad storm I want comfortable feet, I know socks do the same job but I consider the booties light and compactable so will probably keep them for use around if I decide to bin them well they didn't cost much. :)

Ulster Man
02-05-2016, 12:48
The shelter cost and weight I consider shared as we will split the parts that can be (tent pegs, any spare lines etc.) and the other person carry the full shelter. We anticipate swapping around on this depending on the conditions.

Ulster Man
02-05-2016, 12:50
Will look in cascade trekking poles as loki's are pretty expensive. My mind is definitely changing on the mini having read very mixed review about how often they need back flushed so probably will just suck it up and purchase the sawyer squeeze.

DuneElliot
02-05-2016, 13:02
Will look in cascade trekking poles as loki's are pretty expensive. My mind is definitely changing on the mini having read very mixed review about how often they need back flushed so probably will just suck it up and purchase the sawyer squeeze.

I just bought a pair of the Cascades and I like them very much. Andrew Skurka recommended them and used them for a good, long while and gave them a thumbs-up. $47 a pair (price went up since I got mine a month ago): http://www.cascademountaintech.com/Quick-Lock-Trekking-Poles-p/1010.htm

Ulster Man
02-05-2016, 15:42
Also as I'm coming from the UK it is going to be more difficult/expensive to send cold weather kit home during the summer months when I may need it again at the end of my hike. So where you see a couple pairs of gloves or something like that its so I have most of the gear I'll need throughout, with the notable exception of shoes which I anticipate will need replaced twice and will buy in the US.

FMP
02-05-2016, 16:02
Definitely understand where you're coming from. Buddy of mine is Army Inf. here state side (Green Beret hopeful...) and although I know it's drilled into you guys during training to be prepared he seems to ENJOY it when his pack gets heavier.

Whatever decisions you make, your potential list of gear you put up is squared away and is still at a comfortable weight. I can see how the distance requires a bit different type of planning from us already over here. Remember, its all about HYOH (hiking your own hike).

Ulster Man
02-05-2016, 17:12
Cheers for the quick reply. I appreciate the advice mate and don't think there could be any better than HYOH.

Phoenix23
02-05-2016, 18:19
Heya, just in regards to sending cold weather stuff, I'm heading out to thru hike this year (from UK) and I have a few days before I start hiking when I am going to post myself a box some point after mount Rogers, with some treats, and then use the box to put my winter gear in and post the box on to massachusetts when i'll need it again!

As for down booties, I'm taking them as a luxury too!

StubbleJumper
02-05-2016, 20:49
The shelter cost and weight I consider shared as we will split the parts that can be (tent pegs, any spare lines etc.) and the other person carry the full shelter. We anticipate swapping around on this depending on the conditions.

Is there a reason why you prefer to share a two-man tent rather than purchasing and carrying two solo tents? If your hiking partner is your girlfriend/boyfriend then sharing a shelter might be okay, but otherwise IMO you are asking for trouble. Not all hiking partners finish the trail together because sometimes one guy drops out, one wants to hike faster/slower than the other, or partners just get sick of each other. Even for partners that complete the trail together, it's not everybody who wants to sleep in such close contact with their partner for 150 nights.

I would seriously consider buying separate shelters.

Otherwise, my other observation is that you might be a little short on the essentials...no knife, no maps, no compass, no bear-bagging rope, no duct-tape, no Bic lighter?

Ulster Man
02-06-2016, 11:32
I see where you're coming from Stubble Jumper and it's something we're still discussing about getting two shelters or stay with one. With regards to the other items I already have maps/compass (not including them in my pack weight), other items I will pick up in the states once I get there.

Ulster Man
02-06-2016, 11:34
This is obviously massively expensive as it is the flights are gonna be around $1000 each alone if we book them early so the cost of two individual shelters may become a problem. We're both ex military and served together so don't see it as too much of a problem if we do decide to share but hey who doesn't appreciate the privacy of their own shelter?

Cheyou
02-06-2016, 11:50
U have choices . One could sleep in shelter one in tent . One have small silnylon tarp. Might b nice to have a tarp for lunch. Or a poncho tarp like six moon designs.

Thom

Ulster Man
02-06-2016, 12:59
I believe Will is planning on bringing a tarp as an emergency shelter which the plan was to use to throw up for lunches and any rest stops quicker than putting up our tent which in practice could probably be used from time to time to each have our own shelters overnight. Cheers

StubbleJumper
02-06-2016, 17:34
This is obviously massively expensive as it is the flights are gonna be around $1000 each alone if we book them early so the cost of two individual shelters may become a problem. We're both ex military and served together so don't see it as too much of a problem if we do decide to share but hey who doesn't appreciate the privacy of their own shelter?

Well, do what makes the most sense for you, but my initial thought was that you are budgeting 215 pounds for a really nice two-man tent, which is a shade better than USD$300. Looking at REI,com, there are a number of sub-$200 solo tents, meaning you could purchase two lower quality (heavier) tents for a bit more than the price of that nice two-man tent. I usually would recommend that people buy a high quality item, but on some occasions there are benefits to buying duplicate lower quality items.

While your military experience has allowed you to grow accustomed to being in close quarters with other guys, that was part of your job. If you are not getting paid for it, do you really want to snuggle up to another guy who will be dirty, smelly, and who will fart all night long? Maybe I just like sleeping alone in my tent too much!

Ulster Man
02-06-2016, 17:53
Well, do what makes the most sense for you, but my initial thought was that you are budgeting 215 pounds for a really nice two-man tent, which is a shade better than USD$300. Looking at REI,com, there are a number of sub-$200 solo tents, meaning you could purchase two lower quality (heavier) tents for a bit more than the price of that nice two-man tent. I usually would recommend that people buy a high quality item, but on some occasions there are benefits to buying duplicate lower quality items.

While your military experience has allowed you to grow accustomed to being in close quarters with other guys, that was part of your job. If you are not getting paid for it, do you really want to snuggle up to another guy who will be dirty, smelly, and who will fart all night long? Maybe I just like sleeping alone in my tent too much!

Cheers mate a lot of the posts here I'm using as a soundboard more than anything we are still in the early stage of planning. Most of our current gear we consider too heavy and still have to purchase most of the items on the list so its good to get solid feedback from experienced AT hikers. We may well decide to go with two solo shelters yet but the next thing will be deciding which ones.... lol

colorado_rob
02-07-2016, 12:06
I kinda understand where folks are coming from on the 2-tent thing, but I personally don't think having one good tent would be any problem. On a trail like the PCT, I can see a problem, but with the shelters on the AT, you'll be able to have plenty of time not sharing a tent, and the times you do have to tent will be fairly infrequent. If one of you lags or gets ahead, you can always purchase a 2nd tent, plenty of good outfitters along the way.

And you don't need a knife, maps or a compass, though having a really tiny knife and a little tiny compass is not a bad idea. Maps for the AT? Just not at all needed or really useful. You do need a bear-bag rope though.

Yep, plenty of much cheaper trekking pole models out there, I really like the black diamond zpoles, $100, fixed length, but I have found over 5 decades of hiking I never change my pole length, always use 120cm+/-, and I like the lightness of them and the compactness (they fold into thirds). 12 ounces, what is that, about ~330 grams?

I still don't get the down bootie thing, I wonder if what you call "down booties" is different over there? If the same as here, I predict you'll dump them at first opportunity. If you really want some "luxury" footwear, try some crocs or something. Just an opinion, of course.

$1000 is what we just booked for coming over there in May.... we can't wait!

StubbleJumper
02-07-2016, 13:31
And you don't need a knife, maps or a compass, though having a really tiny knife and a little tiny compass is not a bad idea. Maps for the AT? Just not at all needed or really useful. You do need a bear-bag rope though.

The point I was making is that OP has not addressed all of the "10 essentials" in his gear. Copying from wikipedia:

Navigation. Topographic map and assorted maps in waterproof container plus a magnetic compass, optional altimeter or GPS receiver.
Sun protection. Sunglasses, sunscreen for lips and skin, hat, clothing for sun protection.
Insulation. Hat, gloves, jacket, extra clothing for coldest possible weather during current season.
Illumination. Headlamp, flashlight, batteries. LED bulb is preferred to extend battery life.
First-aid supplies, plus insect repellent.
Fire. Butane lighter, matches in waterproof container.
Repair kit and tools. Knives, multi-tool (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-tool), scissors, pliers, screwdriver, trowel/shovel, duct tape, cable ties.
Nutrition. Add extra food for one additional day (for emergency). Dry food is preferred to save weight and usually needs water.
Hydration. Add extra 2 liters of water for one additional day (for emergency).
Emergency shelter. Tarp, bivouac sack (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bivouac_sack), space blanket (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_blanket), plastic tube tent, jumbo trash bags, insulated sleeping pad.

So, OP's existing gear list nicely covers off #3, 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10. Unless you are very sensitive to the sun, on the AT you probably don't need #2 due to the copious foliage. But #1, 6 and 7 need to be addressed.

In particular, some allowance needs to be made for navigation which could include maps, guidebooks, compass, GPS, altimeter or possibly all five of these navigation tools integrated into a mobile phone application(s). While it can be done, I would never recommend that somebody hike a long trail without having *some* of these tools. All it takes is one wrong turn while "zoning out" and you're "lost".

Similarly, I would never recommend that somebody hike a long trail without some of the tools listed in #7 (especially the knife). I have gone on multi-week hikes with only the SAK Classic, but at least it's a knife/scissors that enable you to do some basic cutting. But, I certainly acknowledge that I have hiked several days on end without ever pulling the SAK out of my rucksack.

And a source of fire? There are not too many ways to get yourself into serious trouble on the AT, but hypothermia is one of them. I would never recommend that anyone do a long hike without some way of starting a fire. My personal preference is to carry two Mini-Bics when temperatures are warm enough for them to function well, but other people have different ways to start a fire. As long as it works and it's reliable, that's all fine....

colorado_rob
02-07-2016, 13:59
Points well taken SJ, I was assuming our irish friend had a fire source, a mini bic being best, and I have to agree a mini swiss knife with a couple tools and some duct tape can come in mighty handy. I also always carry a mini compass. A guide, like awol I also assumed he would have.

Again, good points.

double d
02-07-2016, 16:57
Ulster Man, glad to learn that your hiking the AT, my family is from the Mallow, Ireland area, much more south then your home town, good luck on your hike!!!

pauly_j
02-08-2016, 07:11
Flights can be done a lot cheaper. If you're looking to go straight into Atlanta then you'll pay a fortune. Get a flight to a common holiday airport on the East coast then get an internal flight. I'm flying Birmingham to Orlando for about £130 and then got an internal flight to Atlanta for under £50.

Ulster Man
02-11-2016, 17:32
Yes there was some small items I intentionally left off my list as I don't feel I need any advice on including fire lighting, first aid and navigation techniques and gear. Also thanks about the flights advice didn't know about that. Cheers

Ulster Man
02-13-2016, 05:47
After some discussion and coming across what I believe was a very good offer, I have purchased a Big Agnes CS UL1 with the footprint for $341 for them both including international shipping. I decided that on an undertaking this big there are simply too many variables and things that almost certainly will not go to plan so it just makes sense to each have our own smaller shelters and the total cost for two 1 man shelters if you shop around is not alot more than one zpacks Duplex.

StubbleJumper
02-15-2016, 20:54
After some discussion and coming across what I believe was a very good offer, I have purchased a Big Agnes CS UL1 with the footprint for $341 for them both including international shipping. I decided that on an undertaking this big there are simply too many variables and things that almost certainly will not go to plan so it just makes sense to each have our own smaller shelters and the total cost for two 1 man shelters if you shop around is not alot more than one zpacks Duplex.

I expect that you will be happy to have separate shelters. Just for clarity, have I understood correctly that you purchased two Copper Spur tents for a total of US$341? Or was it 2 x $341 = $682? If you were able to purchase a Copper Spur for US$170 each, from where did you order it?

Ulster Man
02-18-2016, 11:43
I expect that you will be happy to have separate shelters. Just for clarity, have I understood correctly that you purchased two Copper Spur tents for a total of US$341? Or was it 2 x $341 = $682? If you were able to purchase a Copper Spur for US$170 each, from where did you order it?

No just got the one Ul1 + footprint for $341

Badger Ski
02-18-2016, 12:14
Nice looking list. You will absolutely “adjust” on the trail. I agree with the Squeeze over the Mini. You could trade the rain pants for gaiters. I would recommend gaiters even if you do keep the rain pants. Also, the down booties are probably overkill for the time of year you’re going, especially if you upgrade your sleep system. But, you might be one of those cold feet dudes and you should absolutely do what works for you. Having sleeping clothes in a waterproof bag really helps when you’re done for the night. I might dump the hoodie and get a Buff or similar product. Looks like you have enough layers without it. Camp shoes like Crocs will give your feet and boots time to recover.

Ulster Man
02-18-2016, 13:20
Nice looking list. You will absolutely “adjust” on the trail. I agree with the Squeeze over the Mini. You could trade the rain pants for gaiters. I would recommend gaiters even if you do keep the rain pants. Also, the down booties are probably overkill for the time of year you’re going, especially if you upgrade your sleep system. But, you might be one of those cold feet dudes and you should absolutely do what works for you. Having sleeping clothes in a waterproof bag really helps when you’re done for the night. I might dump the hoodie and get a Buff or similar product. Looks like you have enough layers without it. Camp shoes like Crocs will give your feet and boots time to recover.

Cheers our plans are still constantly being amended and tweaked. We now are planning a "half thru" hike basically allowing ourselves a maximum of three months (for visa waiver program) starting in May 2017. Will be doing away with certain colder weather clothing. (NO more down booties!) :(
lol

4eyedbuzzard
02-18-2016, 22:01
Cheers our plans are still constantly being amended and tweaked. We now are planning a "half thru" hike basically allowing ourselves a maximum of three months (for visa waiver program) starting in May 2017. Will be doing away with certain colder weather clothing. (NO more down booties!) :(
lolAre you planning on hiking as far as reasonably possible NOBO from Springer Mtn, and then returning in the future to finish the trail from where you left off? Or is this more likely to be a one-time trip? I ask because if it will be a one-time trip with no urgency to complete the entire trail, you may wish to consider skipping some parts of the trail and moving about a bit to capture some of the varied and scenic parts and enjoy somewhat cooler weather farther north once into mid-June. Being from NH, I'm a bit prejudiced in this sense, but hiking the Whites and parts of New England would be a "don't miss" opportunity if you won't be able to return in the foreseeable future.

colorado_rob
02-18-2016, 22:42
Are you planning on hiking as far as reasonably possible NOBO from Springer Mtn, and then returning in the future to finish the trail from where you left off? Or is this more likely to be a one-time trip? I ask because if it will be a one-time trip with no urgency to complete the entire trail, you may wish to consider skipping some parts of the trail and moving about a bit to capture some of the varied and scenic parts and enjoy somewhat cooler weather farther north once into mid-June. Being from NH, I'm a bit prejudiced in this sense, but hiking the Whites and parts of New England would be a "don't miss" opportunity if you won't be able to return in the foreseeable future.<---- Listen to and consider this! the northern parts of the trail are fantastic, with New Hampshire and Maine being the absolute best.

Just a what if.... hike Springer to Damascus in May (should take about a month, maybe 5 weeks), lot of cool terrain in this first 450 miles or so. Then skip the rest of Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania and get your butts up to wherever you think you can start back up again and get to Katahdin by your 3-month deadline, maybe starting in New Jersey or so? Just a thought.

Ulster Man
02-19-2016, 11:13
<---- Listen to and consider this! the northern parts of the trail are fantastic, with New Hampshire and Maine being the absolute best.

Just a what if.... hike Springer to Damascus in May (should take about a month, maybe 5 weeks), lot of cool terrain in this first 450 miles or so. Then skip the rest of Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania and get your butts up to wherever you think you can start back up again and get to Katahdin by your 3-month deadline, maybe starting in New Jersey or so? Just a thought.

I know have heard how good some parts of the trail are further north Would love to and might still try to. Just have to work out the logistics and cost... any suggestions?

colorado_rob
02-19-2016, 12:51
I know have heard how good some parts of the trail are further north Would love to and might still try to. Just have to work out the logistics and cost... any suggestions?We're outta here in 5 minutes for the weekend, but real quick, first thought pretty much just as I said, fly to Atlanta, get a shuttle to springer, relatively cheap shuttle. Hike north to Damascus catching some of the early highlights of the AT. From Damascus, get a shuttle to Charlotte NC, a major SE airport hub, should be a reasonable cost shuttle. Get a flight to Newark NJ, catch a train to Port Jervis, and a short shuttle (4 miles) or hitch to the AT at High Point State park, something like AT mile 1350 or so, meaning about 800 to go. Get on the trail there and hike to Katahdin! When finished, get free shuttle to Milinocket (At lodge, stay there), cheap shuttle to some town I cannot remember, but there you can catch Concord bus to Boston, should be reasonable flights home from there.

Since you're Irish, you can even visit and enjoy all the cool places in Boston where we kicked the British butts !

Gotta go, others more knowledgeable than myself can off other suggestions.

Scrum
02-19-2016, 13:04
I know have heard how good some parts of the trail are further north Would love to and might still try to. Just have to work out the logistics and cost... any suggestions?

Hike north until early June, get off the trail and take a bus or train to Boston, and from there Bus to Bangor Maine, shuttle to Baxter State Park, and hike South until visa expiration. Search here on WB and you will find good instructions on getting from Boston to BSP.

Alternative, take the Bus or train to New York City, and from there you can get a commuter rail (Metro North) to the AT Station in Pawling, New York, and continue hiking North. http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/station_detail.cfm?key=167

Don't miss the Whites!

colorado_rob
02-19-2016, 13:26
Hike north until early June, get off the trail and take a bus or train to Boston, and from there Bus to Bangor Maine, shuttle to Baxter State Park, and hike South until visa expiration. Search here on WB and you will find good instructions on getting from Boston to BSP.

Alternative, take the Bus or train to New York City, and from there you can get a commuter rail (Metro North) to the AT Station in Pawling, New York, and continue hiking North. http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/station_detail.cfm?key=167

Don't miss the Whites!I like this Pawling idea, very convenient, saves a few miles over starting at HP New Jersey giving you a better time cushion.

4eyedbuzzard
02-19-2016, 13:33
I know have heard how good some parts of the trail are further north Would love to and might still try to. Just have to work out the logistics and cost... any suggestions?So much of this depends upon your conditioning and pace (of the slowest member in your group). I'd somewhat agree with colorado_rob on on the Springer to Damascus, VA and then flip to Hanover, NH and go NOBO to Katahdin. But that is trying to cram a lot into the time you have. It's 467 miles from Springer to Damascus, VA. Hanover, NH to Katahdin is 442 miles. And these are IMO the absolute toughest parts of the AT, especially the northern section. NOT COUNTING ANY ZERO DAYS you are looking at 70 full days of hiking at a 13 mpd average. You're going to lose days due to arrival, flipping, departure, AND ZEROS. Doesn't leave any time for any side trips or complications, and once you are committed to the trail in ME it's difficult logistically to bail out and get anywhere (Maine is pretty remote).

The travel logistics involved once you reach Damascus, VA: Shuttle 30 miles from Damascus to Marion, VA ($?), Greyhound bus Marion to White River Jct, VT (@ <$100 and 26 hours on bus or figure a way to fly). WRJ, VT has free local bus to Hanover, NH. Take yellow line from Veterans Affairs (VA) Hospital near the Greyhound bus stop to Hanover, NH and the AT. http://www.advancetransit.com/routefinder.htm From Katahdin/Baxter State Park in ME, you hitch or shuttle to Medway, ME. Take Cyr bus to Portland, ME ($12), then Greyhound bus Portland, ME to Boston/Logan Airport (@ $20).

Another option would be to start the trail further north at Fontana Dam (NC) the beginning of Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park, and hike NOBO to Atkins, VA (378 miles). Then hitch or short shuttle to Marion as above. This would shorten the overall hike a bit but add the Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers area, and leave more time for any side trips or other if desired (Wash DC, NY, etc., more zeros, slower pace, less time pressure.) Another alternative would be to skip hiking Maine and end at Pinkham Notch, NH - it's a loss in that Maine is some of the most wild and beautiful (and difficult) part of the trail, but it would allow either lengthening the southern section or starting the northern section further south, say in VT, or ??? Again, just throwing ideas out for you to consider. There is bus service from Pinkham Notch/Gorham, NH to Boston/Logan Airport (@ $40 Concord Coach).

Your hiking pace is obviously the key variable in in all this. Depending upon your average pace in the south, you can adjust when to flip, but a safe rule of thumb would be that your pace in NH and ME will be maybe 2/3 or at most 3/4 of what it is in the south. And in a couple of places it might only be half.

EDIT: I also like the Pawling, NY idea. And definitely, DON'T MISS THE WHITES! :)

Ulster Man
02-19-2016, 16:30
Thanks, lots of great info. Some of it is confusing as even what seems like simple stuff like terminology about getting shuttles from one point to another is not something we have in Ireland. Lol will get it sorted am sure it'll work out simply enough once we're there. (Definitely don't miss the whites? what is special about them over other parts of the trail?)

4eyedbuzzard
02-19-2016, 21:09
Thanks, lots of great info. Some of it is confusing as even what seems like simple stuff like terminology about getting shuttles from one point to another is not something we have in Ireland. Lol will get it sorted am sure it'll work out simply enough once we're there. (Definitely don't miss the whites? what is special about them over other parts of the trail?)

Shuttles are just basically taxi service, but typically catering to hikers, often run by former thru-hikers or others interested in the trail. ATC has a list of shuttle providers at http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/at-shuttlesf9e1dd6668ce6efcb07bff000057c13a.pdf?sfvrs n=0 , you can also find them here at WB. You've got lots of time to plan.

What is special about The Whites vs other parts of the trail: The sense of elevation, the unique landscape, the challenge. While they are actually lower in elevation on average than the peaks in Great Smoky Mtn Nat. Park, many of the ridges and peaks in The Whites are above treeline. It's the longest stretch of trail traversing alpine and sub-alpine environment in the eastern US. Most of the AT, even though it stays mostly on the ridge of the Appalachian Mountains, is a woodland trail, and it's earned the nickname "The Long Green Tunnel" as a result. Not that THAT isn't beautiful and enjoyable just by its existence, but much of the trail looks like almost any other part of trail. It's a trail in the woods. The trail is more "rugged" in The Whites. It's typically very rocky, steep, and not as improved. Sometimes there is some mild scrambling involved. The Whites are simply different in that sense.

Here's a few photos from my last hike in the Whites in the Franconia Notch area. Do a google image search search - there is no shortage of photos out there on the web. There are also lots of youtube videos.

33719 33720 33721

colorado_rob
02-21-2016, 18:25
So much of this depends upon your conditioning and pace (of the slowest member in your group). I'd somewhat agree with colorado_rob on on the Springer to Damascus, VA and then flip to Hanover, NH and go NOBO to Katahdin. But that is trying to cram a lot into the time you have. It's 467 miles from Springer to Damascus, VA. Hanover, NH to Katahdin is 442 miles. And these are IMO the absolute toughest parts of the AT, especially the northern section. NOT COUNTING ANY ZERO DAYS you are looking at 70 full days of hiking at a 13 mpd average. You're going to lose days due to arrival, flipping, departure, AND ZEROS. Doesn't leave any time for any side trips or complications, and once you are committed to the trail in ME it's difficult logistically to bail out and get anywhere (Maine is pretty remote). Yeah, sorry, I was way too optimistic saying start in NJ, this is a much more doable plan. If you have 90 days, call it 80 days, 11.5 weeks, including all your travelling to/from Ireland and getting set and flipping, I think Springer to Damascus then Hanover to Katahdin is very reasonable, though as 4eye says, you'll be slowing way down in NH and southern Maine. I personally took very few zeros, 3 all said, in my complete AT hike, but everyone is different. I took maybe 8-10 "neros" (town stop days with only about 3-10 miles or so).

If you're running behind, you could always start the northern section in Glencliff, at the southern end of the Whites, easy logistics to get there; a bus will get you to Lincoln NH, then the Hiker's Welcome Hostel, in Glencliff right on the trail (sort of), will grab you from Lincoln for a small charge, maybe 25-30 bucks, I can't remember exactly. Hanover to Glencliff is nothing special, the good stuff starts just north of Glencliff (Mount Moosilauke, a real charmer!).

Another alternative if you're running behind is to leave the southern section south of Damascus. Cool town, but it's just a town. If you're running ahead a bit though, consider continuing a bit past Damascus including one highlight, Grayson Highlands, maybe another 43 miles or so.

I very much think a Springer-->Damascus+ then Glenncliff-->Katahdin would be a fine "half AT" (significantly less than half the miles, probably significantly more than half of a total AT effort, and 80% of the best AT scenery, just MHO)