PDA

View Full Version : How much clothes to bring?

garminator
02-04-2016, 21:50
Good evening folks, i'm looking at doing a 100 mile section hike from Springer to NC departing in mid April. So far I'm looking at bringing one pair of hiking shorts, pair of hiking boots, crocs for camp, one pair or convertible hiking pants, two athletic t-shirts, two compression type underwear, 3 pairs of merino wool socks, an REI down jacket and a rain jacket. What am I missing??? Thanks for the help

kayak karl
02-04-2016, 22:18
Head and hands ?

egilbe
02-04-2016, 22:39
Baselayers? Still kinda cold at night that time of year.

MuddyWaters
02-04-2016, 23:25
Good evening folks, i'm looking at doing a 100 mile section hike from Springer to NC departing in mid April. So far I'm looking at bringing one pair of hiking shorts, pair of hiking boots, crocs for camp, one pair or convertible hiking pants, two athletic t-shirts, two compression type underwear, 3 pairs of merino wool socks, an REI down jacket and a rain jacket. What am I missing??? Thanks for the help

Might be 55 at night, might be 25. You will know 1 week before.

normal gear for hikers would be:

Worn: shorts, synthetic or wool tee shirt, socks, shoes, underwear
Carried: Long john top, long john bottom, 1pr spare socks, rain jacket, rain pants, insulation jacket, fleece beanie, glove liners, fleece top if really cold

garminator
02-04-2016, 23:43
Yeah sorry guys, I forgot to mention a set of thermals, beanie and gloves that I've got. Are rain pants and gaiters necessary?

MuddyWaters
02-05-2016, 00:41
Gaiters arent unless hiking in deep snow
If its 35 and raining, rain pants come in handy.

rafe
02-05-2016, 01:21
Suggest having a subset of "camp only" items that will kept dry under all circumstances and not worn while hiking. This is your fallback for long days of hiking in cold rain, sleet, whatever.

I like having a wool (or synthetic) flannel shirt in my kit. Extremely versatile item.

Harrison Bergeron
02-05-2016, 16:46
You don't need two SS tee shirts, but if you make one of them long-sleeve, it can do double duty and replace your thermal underwear top, to save almost half a pound, while also giving you a change of shirts that you can wear in town.

You'll want long sleeves for hiking on cold mornings, but you need to keep your LS tee dry for camp. If it's above freezing, your puffy jacket will be too warm and your rain jacket to sweaty. A good solution is a 4oz wind shirt like a Houdini.

jimandlisas
02-05-2016, 19:28
You might want to throw in a few bandanas for use around your neck or face. Comes in handy is there is a wind blowing to protect your face or to keep your neck warm, or other uses like wiping condensation from the inside of your tent, etc.

garminator
02-16-2016, 11:00
Great advice, thank you folks.

lonehiker
02-16-2016, 13:28
Might be 55 at night, might be 25. You will know 1 week before.

normal gear for hikers would be:

Worn: shorts, synthetic or wool tee shirt, socks, shoes, underwear
Carried: Long john top, long john bottom, 1pr spare socks, rain jacket, rain pants, insulation jacket, fleece beanie, glove liners, fleece top if really cold

I fundamentally agree with this list. I deviate a bit in that I prefer long pants and long sleeved shirt year round. I also replace the rain pants with rain kilt.

garminator
02-16-2016, 19:37
That sounds good, ty lonehiker