PDA

View Full Version : small 2 person tent - what to do with packs

SkeeterPee
02-05-2016, 00:16
I have a small 2 person tent and normally backpack by myself so It works out well to have all my gear except food inside the tent with me.

My adult son want to backpack with me so it will be a tight fit without the bags. The tent has a small vestibule at the head end of the tent. So if both bags will fit there, then you have to climb over them at night to go pee.

So what do people do?, I was planning to hang our food. Should I bring a heaver rope and hang our bags too? or small tarp and wrap them up next to the tent. I do not plan to use shelters on this trip, but if we do we can just hang them in the shelter. Trip will be end of March in PA.

Feral Bill
02-05-2016, 00:32
One trash bag per pack, if weather demands.

heatherfeather
02-05-2016, 00:32
Maybe just buy a nice big tarp you can sleep under easily together? Sharing a too-small 2-person tent kind of bites. You should be able to find a big silnylon tarp decently cheap. It's too early for bugs, so all you need is weather protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
02-05-2016, 00:38
About the only thing I have left in my bag at night is stove and eating utensils. Shoes go in vestibule. Pack and extra cloths become padding, insulation, and pillow inside. Pots and stove can be left outside or put in vestibule without taking up much space.

MuddyWaters
02-05-2016, 01:04
Shelters often have nails or pegs for hanging up packs. Just leave pockets and zippers open so mice dont make their own access

I

rafe
02-05-2016, 01:10
Back when I carried an external frame pack I'd always leave my pack outside, with the pack cover on. No food in, obviously. Outer pockets emptied and left open.

I think once or twice I may have heard a critter trying to get at it, but it was never a problem.

guideyououtdoors
02-05-2016, 12:35
I agree with Feral Bill....Get one of those industrial thick black trash bags and throw the packs in it. Cheap, replaceable, water proof. You can use it to line your pack in wet weather and keep the contents dry. Duel purpose...

rocketsocks
02-05-2016, 13:26
Get another tent.

squeezebox
02-05-2016, 14:15
Get another tent.

Maybe rent one??

rafe
02-05-2016, 14:20
rented a tent
rented a tent
rented a rented a tent

- Kurt Vonnegut, Sirens of Titan (I think)

SkeeterPee
02-05-2016, 16:40
my current tent and footprint are over 5lbs so I do want a new under 2lb tent later. But for now I will not want to spend the money on a second heavy cheap tent or that new light one.

yaduck9
02-05-2016, 18:23
I have a small 2 person tent and normally backpack by myself so It works out well to have all my gear except food inside the tent with me.

My adult son want to backpack with me so it will be a tight fit without the bags. The tent has a small vestibule at the head end of the tent. So if both bags will fit there, then you have to climb over them at night to go pee.

So what do people do?, I was planning to hang our food. Should I bring a heaver rope and hang our bags too? or small tarp and wrap them up next to the tent. I do not plan to use shelters on this trip, but if we do we can just hang them in the shelter. Trip will be end of March in PA.

http://www.shop.backpackingadventuregear.com/Slightly-Blemished-8x10-10x12-Silnylon-Tarps-starting-at-blems.htm 60 bucks, hard to go wrong.