PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Attempt

Atraain
02-05-2016, 03:19
I was a thru hiker last year. I started at springer arrived at standing bear farm hostel and decided I was thru hiking. So this year I will be making my 2nd attempt. I had never hiked or back packed before starting so if nothing else I'm a little more experienced this time.

squeezebox
02-05-2016, 04:14
Relax and enjoy your hike. Preferably without expectations. Nothing wrong with section hiking.

Old Hiker
02-05-2016, 11:45
You're lucky to start the NEXT year. I had to wait 4 years from 2012 to make MY second attempt.

Of course, 4 years is good for tweaking gear, planning and saving.

See you out there !

rafe
02-05-2016, 11:55
Go for it, remember at all times it's supposed to be fun. If it's not fun, you're doing it wrong.

Christoph
02-05-2016, 11:58
I tried last year as well. Sure wish I could go for again this year but life happens, so I'll have to wait a bit. One day... one day...
Good luck, you'll make it!

rafe
02-05-2016, 12:00
The trail will always be there. Doing it all in one go is not for everyone. That doesn't mean you can't see it all of it -- over time. LASHers rock.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2016, 12:07
I was a thru hiker last year. I started at springer arrived at standing bear farm hostel and decided I was thru hiking. So this year I will be making my 2nd attempt. I had never hiked or back packed before starting so if nothing else I'm a little more experienced this time.

i attempted 14 times. only completed 5

rafe
02-05-2016, 12:12
You weren't even attempting when I met you, Wolf. Just walking. ;)

bemental
02-05-2016, 12:45

Pretty much the same story for me last year, and this year.

Made it to the damn at Fontana before I had to bail.

Only hiking experience I have was in the Boy Scouts and from the Marines.

Hope to see you out there!

CarlZ993
02-05-2016, 18:52
Good luck in your second attempt. I was fortunate on my thru-hike attempt. I hooked up w/ some people that helped me get through the trying times. With their help & my wife's support from home, I was able to complete it. Listed below in the signature was my hiking schedule. I was 58 when I started and a few days away from 59 when I finished. You can use that - along with your itinerary from last year - as a template for this year's hike. Just stay injury-free, don't have any family emergencies back home, & don't stop hiking unless something is in a cast. :)

SkraM
02-06-2016, 21:44
Best of luck on your 2nd attempt. Hope to see you out there.

Carbo
02-07-2016, 12:05
This year is also my 2nd attempt. The physical part wasn't the problem, it gets to be more of a mental challenge after a few weeks. Not sure how to prepare for that, but now knowing what to expect sure helps.

Malto
02-07-2016, 13:19
This year is also my 2nd attempt. The physical part wasn't the problem, it gets to be more of a mental challenge after a few weeks. Not sure how to prepare for that, but now knowing what to expect sure helps.

you go out and hike, in the rain, in the cold, in the wind, in the snow, in the darkness, in the lonelyness etc. if you can do a thru hike and honestly say that none of the days were the five toughest hiking days of you career then you were mentally prepared. On the other hand if you hike infrequently, bail if it rain or snows then likely to be mentally challenged.

MuddyWaters
02-07-2016, 14:48
I often wonder...how many people that want to thru hike and give it a go, actually enjoy hiking.

If they dont ever hike other places, and have little hiking experience, then possibly they are just enamored with the idea of a thru hike.
Which as many find out, is a bit different from the reality of one.

Groups of people, partying, festivals, etc are all fun distractions that keep people that arent really into hiking...on the trail...for a while.

Grampie
02-07-2016, 15:04
It also took me 2 attempts to finish the whole trail. With knowledge you will bring with you and some good luck you will have a better chance to complete your hike. May you have "happy trails".

squeezebox
02-07-2016, 19:57
I still don't like the word attempt. If you tried the whole trail and did not finish. It assumes failure. You hiked, made a certain distance, and decided to stop. I hope you had a good time. Having a bad time is the only failure.

Atraain
02-08-2016, 15:36
Had a great time. The only issue was sleep. I think I solved that by swapping the foam pad for the thermal rest neo air. Oh, and Tylenol pm

Atraain
02-08-2016, 15:46
Muddywaters, the hiking I enjoyed. The camping, not so much. Groups of people partying, while entertaining, not my thing. The allure for me is experiencing things outside my norm

rafe
02-08-2016, 21:47
I still don't like the word attempt. If you tried the whole trail and did not finish. It assumes failure. You hiked, made a certain distance, and decided to stop. I hope you had a good time. Having a bad time is the only failure.

I dunno. It's a legit word. It means there was, at least, an un-met goal. What's subjective and maybe inappropriate is calling that a failure. A lot of things in life don't go as planned, we don't go around calling all these events failures.

MuddyWaters
02-08-2016, 22:15
Muddywaters, the hiking I enjoyed. The camping, not so much. Groups of people partying, while entertaining, not my thing. The allure for me is experiencing things outside my norm

Wasnt necessarilly referring to you
When someone isnt having fun anymore, for whatever reason, the right thing to do is stop.
Its a vacation after all, not a death march.

squeezebox
02-08-2016, 23:49
Had a great time. The only issue was sleep. I think I solved that by swapping the foam pad for the thermal rest neo air. Oh, and Tylenol pm
Yes bringing some benadryl may help you. But does not work for me. other name dimethhydramine or such. Brand X is cheaper.

Skyline
02-09-2016, 00:47
You could pick it up again at Davenport Gap and hike north from there, unless you're "needing" to do it all in one year.

4eyedbuzzard
02-09-2016, 01:05
You could pick it up again at Davenport Gap and hike north from there, unless you're "needing" to do it all in one year.
I read in a prior post that the OP was flip flopping, starting Atkins/Marion, VA in April. Probably to get ahead of the bubble. Perhaps he is going to flip back via bus (bus station in Marion) and then go SOBO to Standing Bear and call it done. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/116381-Flip-flop-starting-at-Atkins-Va?p=2034886&highlight=#post2034886

showtime_
02-18-2016, 23:14
Pretty much the same story for me last year, and this year.

Made it to the damn at Fontana before I had to bail.

Only hiking experience I have was in the Boy Scouts and from the Marines.

Hope to see you out there!

My first experience with a real pack on my back was in the Corps. Safe to say that, as a 5'6" male, I'm a lot better at hiking now that I get to pick what is in my pack (and that my pack fits lmao).
Semper Fi