PDA

View Full Version : Did you wear gaiters?

Anumber1
12-16-2005, 16:10
I've heard a lot about the rain that occurs during a thru-hike. How many people wore gaiters?

Do you think they are worth their weight. why and why not?

I appreciate all of your opinions...thanks a bunch!

Footslogger
12-16-2005, 16:15
Sure did ...short ones in the warmer months and knee highs when it got cold. In fact, I work shorts all the way to Katahdin. The hight gaiter along with knee length shorts were all I needed.

'Slogger

stickat04
12-16-2005, 16:16
I wore gaiters the entire way. I get poison ivy easy, so I think they were worth it for me. I also like to keep the dirt and rocks out of my boots.

neighbor dave
12-16-2005, 16:18
nope! too hot!! plus didn't think i needed them. wore sock liners and nb runners the whole way,cept for a couple of times when the snow was knee deep! then wore wool socks, that it!:welcome :clap

Lobo
12-16-2005, 16:19
I also wore short gaiters on my 2000 hike. Along with keeping stones out of you boots, they also help to keep your socks clean.

Peaks
12-16-2005, 17:10
I also wore short gaiters on my 2000 hike. Along with keeping stones out of you boots, they also help to keep your socks clean.

Sometimes I wear them, sometimes I don't. It depends on how rocky and muddy the trail is. I did wear them for much of the AT, but if I were to do the trail again, I'd probably wear them less. In any event, I didn't wear them when wearing long pants.

Mouse
12-16-2005, 17:23
I did not wear them at all. There is so much traffic on the Trail that only rarely was I walking on untrampled snow and sleeping in until after more hikers left would have avoided even more.

Heather
12-16-2005, 17:57
Do they help prevent rain running down your legs and into your boots? I had this problem without gaiters and thought maybe gaiters would solve problem.

neighbor dave
12-16-2005, 17:58
Do they help prevent rain running down your legs and into your boots? I had this problem without gaiters and thought maybe gaiters would solve problem.
nope. your feet will get wet!!:welcome

Spirit Walker
12-16-2005, 18:20
No, I find gaiters too hot too. The only time I wear them is when walking through deep snow.

max patch
12-16-2005, 18:26
Too hot for 3 season hiking on the AT.

Footslogger
12-16-2005, 18:41
=================================
No ...but that's not why I wear them. In summer I use them to keep stones and dirt out of my shoes and off my socks. In Winter I use the high ones as my lower pant legs. Allow for some ventilation without my legs getting the full blast of the cold.

'Slogger

bulldog49
12-16-2005, 19:27
nope. your feet will get wet!!:welcome

That is absolutely not so. I hiked from Dick's Creek to Fontana Thanksgiving week through considerable rain and snow and my feet remained completely dry wearing Crocodile Gaiters. I never do it, but if I were hiking in the summer I would not use them, but for the other 3 seasons they definitely work.

bulldog49
12-16-2005, 19:31
I want to add, one day it rained so hard I soaked through my Marmot Precip jacket and pants, but my socks were so dry after, that after changing into dry clothes, I did not bother changing my socks and slept in the same pair I hiked in all day.

TwoForty
12-16-2005, 20:32
I wear short packcloth gaiters all the time. If there is snow, I take goretex high gaiters.
My main reason is that they keep your socks and pants clean from mud. I know it sounds silly, but it makes a huge difference for me.

general
12-16-2005, 21:12

hell yes. if your boots are waterproofed reasonably well, tall gaiters will help to keep your feet dryer. granted, if your wearing pants that soak up water, then water will run down your pants legs under your gaiters. waterproof pants that will stretch over your boot upper, combined with tall waterproof gaiters, will keep your feet drier. your feet will still sweat, and if you walk in deep water they can still get wet. even wearing shorts, it helps, especially in stinging nettles, or somewhere you might find some blackberries.

had a pair from Outdoor Research that i used until they had holes in the sides. it took about 1200 or so miles to wear them out. have some from mountain hardware now, and the seem to work fine.

MedicineMan
12-16-2005, 23:03
if you are going to do a thru-hike you must def. get the snake bite proof ones.

strnorm
12-16-2005, 23:15
where can you buy the snake proof ones? i hike a lot in Pa.with the snakes:jump

swamp dawg
12-16-2005, 23:36
I use them mostly to keep mud off my socks and small rocks out of my trail shoes or mid cut boots. I use the OR short style but the will not keep a whole lot of water out of your boots during a hard rain. Life is good on the trail ... Swamp Dawg

MedicineMan
12-16-2005, 23:50
http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/store/products/productDisplay~manufacturer~RATTLERS+BRAND~model~S NAKE+PROOF+GAITERS.htm

I was just teasing though :)

hungryhowie
12-17-2005, 03:02
I started with gaiters because I wanted to keep the rain out of my boots. That was until I realized that there's nothing that you can do to actually keep your feet dry. At that time, I was wearing goretex boots and had goretex gaiters. After several hundered miles, the goretex began to wear out in the boots and my feet began to get wet. Even days after it rained my feet were still wet because of those damn heavy leather boots. So I switched to running shoes and packcloth gaiters. No it doesn't keep the rain out (but neither did the other combo long term), but it does keep out pebbles, twigs, dirt, etc...and the entire combo will dry completely in the sun in just a couple of hours.

It's not about keeping your feet dry during the rain...it's about drying them out quickly after it stops raining.

-Howie

Peaks
12-17-2005, 08:30

I think it depends on whether the gairters are waterproof or not. When not wearing rain pants, and the rain runs down my legs, my feet still go squish squish, even when I'm wearing OR low crocks.

Other than that, remember that it's easier for scree to get into low cut shoes than high cut boots. So, gaiters are more useful when wearing low cut shoes.

Mouse
12-17-2005, 10:37
You know, I don't think I stopped more than half a dozen times on my entire thruhike to remove pepples from my shoes and on the times that I did, I was grateful for the excuse to take a break. Unless your shoes are veritable pebble magnets that seems a weak reason for wearing gaiters.

hustler
12-17-2005, 21:46
wore very breathable low gaiters both times, kept stuff out of the shoes and the socks a bit cleaner.

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2005, 21:52
I've never worn them, and like Mouse, have always welcomed the opportunity to take a break for a moment and pull the boot off. Digging out the occasional pebble or twig is not that big a deal.

I never really saw the need for gaiters, plus the tall ones make the wearer look positively goofy, especially the electric blue ones.

On the other hand, I know of a wonderful girl who did indeed get struck at by snakes more than once, and ended up with fang marks in her gaiters and not her shins, so you never know...

Mouse
12-17-2005, 22:42
Perhaps chainmail?:rolleyes:

Nean
12-18-2005, 00:21
I've gone w/short gaiters and w/o any, years each. While you might not always need them, I like gaiters more than not.

Ridge
12-18-2005, 12:40
I wear OR short gaiters. They keep out foriegn matter, help keep socks clean, feet warm, rain/snow/sleet out. Protects a lot of the boots. Helps keep laces tied and protects most of the laces. The only negative is they tend to heat up the feet in the summer time. I also do not use gortex boots, this helps in the summer.

bulldog49
12-18-2005, 17:51
I started with gaiters because I wanted to keep the rain out of my boots. That was until I realized that there's nothing that you can do to actually keep your feet dry. At that time, I was wearing goretex boots and had goretex gaiters. After several hundered miles, the goretex began to wear out in the boots and my feet began to get wet. Even days after it rained my feet were still wet because of those damn heavy leather boots. So I switched to running shoes and packcloth gaiters. No it doesn't keep the rain out (but neither did the other combo long term), but it does keep out pebbles, twigs, dirt, etc...and the entire combo will dry completely in the sun in just a couple of hours.

It's not about keeping your feet dry during the rain...it's about drying them out quickly after it stops raining.

-Howie

You must have had awfully cheap boots because the Goretex watrerproofing won't wear out after a couple hundred miles. I've put a thousand miles on my Vasque Sundowners and still work perfectly.

I'll say again that using high Goretex gaitors with light wt waterproof boots will keep you feet dry in extremely wet conditions. Anyone who claims otherwise does not know what they are talking about.

MDSHiker
12-18-2005, 18:02
I wear short ones...carry them and wear them when you need to. I wear them with Merrell gortex trail shoes.

Krewzer
12-19-2005, 00:17
Yes, I finally got tired of rocks in my shoes and went with OR low gaiters. They work great for me.

I may have posted this before, but, here's an idea for really cheap homemade set of gaiters from my buddy Rabbit.

Go to a nearby thrift store and buy a pair of really cheap sweat pants (50 cents or a dollar should do it). Cut the bottom part of the pant legs off (about 6 inches or so). Pull them up over your socks, then fold them back down and over your boot tops. They're not much to look at, but Rabbit says they're not hot and they do keep the rocks out.

Nean
12-19-2005, 00:45
Krewzer, did I meet you at the NOC in 02? Is that the same Rabbit that took me, Cooler and the 4 ladies up to his cabin near the trail? I drove by there last week and wondered if Rabbit was still there. Good people, good times, good memories

MedicineMan
12-19-2005, 00:45
and personally i like gaiters---
pros- like having long pants while you're wearing shorts
if you build up heat/cool off they are easierto pop on and off than
pants including zip offs
def. keep crap out of the socks and footwear
def. keep the boots dry in tall grass/snow but rarely is that an AT prob.
can be very lightweight and very breathable
ex: http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/gaiters/gaiters_trail/61100

cons- do look goofy as jack said but for me its function over anybodies opin.
they aint free
you do have to put them on and take them off so pay attention to which type of closure you get, from experience velcro is easier than snaps, though i've napped
in a shelter with them on

i wouldnt wear them for snakebite protection though

neighbor dave
12-21-2005, 06:20
I'll say again that using high Goretex gaitors with light wt waterproof boots will keep you feet dry in extremely wet conditions. Anyone who claims otherwise does not know what they are talking about.

really? that's pretty funny. are you sure?

Jester2000
12-21-2005, 06:38
I never really saw the need for gaiters, plus the tall ones make the wearer look positively goofy...

Well, I always look positively goofy, so. . .

I didn't wear them on my thru. And it had no effect on whether or not I finished. On the other hand, I have worn them on every other hike since, and I like them. Here's why (many points already made):

First, I am not a GoLite guy, so the extra weight doesn't bother me (though it may you).
Second, they keep crap out of my shoes, and I know that I'm the kind of person that won't stop to take off my boots,and w/o gaiters I'll end up with blisters, 'cause I'm a moron.
Third, they do keep my feet dryer in wet conditions than without them, even with long pants (you guys ever heard of blousing?) (Maybe not. After you put the gaiters on, you pull the pants out and over the gaiters. You get a whole 1776 breeches thing going on for free, which is very sexy -- just kidding, it's not -- and the rain runs down over the gaiters on the OUTSIDE).

Fourth, added warmth when it's cold.

I have OR high gaiters, but not the winter insulated kind. If I had the money I suppose I would buy the short ones for summer day hikes. But to each his own.

MOREHEAD
12-21-2005, 07:21
I dont wear gaitors. I have worn them during 100 mile trail races and found them to be more trouble then they are worth.

Footslogger
12-21-2005, 11:12
[quote=Jack Tarlin]I never really saw the need for gaiters, plus the tall ones make the wearer look positively goofy, especially the electric blue ones.
=======================================

Jack ...is this just your opinion or has there been a survey to support the "goofy" claim ?? I don't really care much about what other people think when it comes to my looks ...but if I did your statement might offend me.

'Slogger

Jaybird
12-21-2005, 11:44
Never have hiked with GAITERS....i've hiked with many folks that LOVE 'em...but, like a load of hikers....i just use the time to sit on a log....take off the boots for a few minutes....& watch the world go by...while i take the miniscule piece of wood outta da boots....hehehehehehehe!:D

Frosty
12-21-2005, 23:38
For those of you who wore short gaiters, how tall were they? Moonbow Gear makes gear to size (something I need for my size 17 feet). They want to kow how high I want them made and I'm not sure. It seems to me that 8 inches should cover the space from the boot sole to above my boot, but should I get them made to go higher than my socks? I am thinking of wet socks wicking water down past the gaiter.

In other words, those of you who wore gaiters, if you could get them made any height, how tall would you have them made?

Alligator
12-22-2005, 01:13
Taller than your socks Frosty. Short gaitors are just to keep dirt, twigs, pebbles, and some water out.

Alligator
12-22-2005, 01:14

I have OR high gaiters, but not the winter insulated kind. If I had the money I suppose I would buy the short ones for summer day hikes. But to each his own.
I bought short ones from MEC for about $4.00 (US).

Heater
12-22-2005, 04:59
I did not bother changing my socks and slept in the same pair I hiked in all day.

Musta been a really BIG pair of socks! :D

general
12-22-2005, 09:23
For those of you who wore short gaiters, how tall were they? Moonbow Gear makes gear to size (something I need for my size 17 feet). They want to kow how high I want them made and I'm not sure. It seems to me that 8 inches should cover the space from the boot sole to above my boot, but should I get them made to go higher than my socks? I am thinking of wet socks wicking water down past the gaiter.

In other words, those of you who wore gaiters, if you could get them made any height, how tall would you have them made?

over the top of your calf muscle for tall under the bottom of your calf muscle for short. you don't want the drawstring to be in the middle of a constantly flexing muscle. uncomfortable.

MOWGLI
12-22-2005, 09:34
I wore tall gators until it got hot. Then I sent them home - I think at Pearisburg. I didn't miss 'em.

Peaks
12-22-2005, 09:58
Taller than your socks Frosty. Short gaitors are just to keep dirt, twigs, pebbles, and some water out.

OR Crocks are shorter than socks. When it's raining out, I frequently push my socks down so they are inside the gaiters.

docllamacoy
12-22-2005, 14:27
I've always worn the short gaiters the whole way. For me, it was mainly just to keep all the dirt and rocks out. It only helped with the rain the first few rain storms.

JoeHiker
12-22-2005, 14:50
While hiking the long trail this fall, I wore some Integral Designs eVENT Shortie Gaiters. Combined with my Lowa Renegade GTX II Low goretex trail hiking shoes (not boots), they kept my feet completely dry for 8 days of solid rain. It wasn't until I stepped in a knee deep puddle that my feet got wet.The only bad part about them was that the understrap is supposed to go under your shoe but is not tough enough to handle being there. After those 8 days, I had to wrap duct tape around them to keep them from wearing away.

TwoForty
12-24-2005, 11:06
It wasn't until I stepped in a knee deep puddle that my feet got wet.
I'm not sure how it is up in VT, but down south we call those rivers :D

neighbor dave
12-24-2005, 12:39
I'm not sure how it is up in VT
very, very muddy!! all the time. don't know why they tell you to stay off the trails during"mud season". i've seen it worse after mud season

PartnerShip
12-24-2005, 15:59
I was thinking of wearing gaiters for the reason mentioned of snakes. Have a terrible fear of them and I think that theiy would help me even though I know they cannot stop a bite.
Just a security blanket of sorts for my mind. :banana

hopefulhiker
12-24-2005, 16:01
I switched to wearing gaitors when I got a bad case of poison ivey. The long ones from OR are goretex and really help protect the lower legs. They allow you to get closer to the brush and give you more options as to where to put your feet without your legs getting scratched up. Later I switched to the shorter OR gaitors (not gortex) but light weight when I switched from boots to trail runners(tennis shoes). The low top shoes almost demand gaitors to keep the junk out of your shoes. Gaitors help keep you warm, dry, and clean. Wearing gaitors with shorts keeps you cool too when you are moving down the trail.

Peaks
12-24-2005, 16:36
I switched to wearing gaitors when I got a bad case of poison ivey. The long ones from OR are goretex and really help protect the lower legs. They allow you to get closer to the brush and give you more options as to where to put your feet without your legs getting scratched up. Later I switched to the shorter OR gaitors (not gortex) but light weight when I switched from boots to trail runners(tennis shoes). The low top shoes almost demand gaitors to keep the junk out of your shoes. Gaitors help keep you warm, dry, and clean. Wearing gaitors with shorts keeps you cool too when you are moving down the trail.

Where the trail is overgrown with poison ivy, I switched and put on long pants.

Panzer1
12-24-2005, 21:42
I was not able to hike any distance without a small stone going down my boot until I started using my short gators. I then found out that they also kept my socks a lot cleaner which is a nice bonus on a long trip.

Panzer

fantasmagris
12-25-2005, 21:10
I have logged thousands of miles from S.America to Florida to N.C., W.V., N.H., ME, etc. much of it in low top trail runner type shoes and have never used gaitors and never had a problem with pebbles, debris in my shoes. I always thought they were for skiers!:D

Knees
12-26-2005, 01:02
I got sick of stopping all the time to empty out my trail runners, so I picked up a pair of OR shorts in Damascus, VA and I wore them for the rest of the trail. These were one of the few items that I added to my gear as I hiked. Do you need them to hike? no. Was it worth the $30 or whatever for the added comfort? you betcha!

mweinstone
01-05-2006, 19:43
any gaiter packed in will be used at times. other times they will sit in the pack.all gaiters must be mailed home at some point if they are to have a meaningful part of a thru hike.rocks in boots do nothing but allow you to trade bending over and getting the rock out instead of carrying gaiters all those days.

Chef2000
01-05-2006, 20:19
I wore full length gaiters all the time. Now i have those Venigators from MH, they have a mesh area in the back to allow breathing

The Solemates
01-06-2006, 11:14
I've heard a lot about the rain that occurs during a thru-hike. How many people wore gaiters?

Do you think they are worth their weight. why and why not?

I appreciate all of your opinions...thanks a bunch!

on an extended backpacking trip we just see them as extra weight. even in deep snow we didnt wear them. we had 3 foot drifts several times on the trail and never really "needed" gaiters. however, on weekend hikes through heavy snow (>1 foot) we will always take them.