PDA

View Full Version : Manatee Numbers Rebounding

Pedaling Fool
02-05-2016, 09:44
I got a newsletter from my Congressman asking for my opinion of the proposed downgrading of the West Indian Manatee from Endangered to Threatened.

Not really knowing the issue, I looked it up and found this http://www.fws.gov/news/ShowNews.cfm?ref=u.s.-fish-and-wildlife-service-to-reclassify-west-indian-manatee-from-&_ID=35428

I had no idea this animal was making such a strong comeback. However, I'm still not sure on how to vote on this issue, i.e. downgrade or keep the manatee classified as endangered.

Any opinions?

WingedMonkey
02-05-2016, 09:54
Since the surveys started in 1991, the number of manatees counted during the surveys had increased, which is related to a growing population, improved survey techniques, and increased knowledge of where manatees aggregate. Synoptic survey counts do not provide statistical estimates of population size and thus are not supposed to be used to determine trends in the population. Rather, these surveys provide a minimum count of manatees. The outcome of the survey is highly dependent on weather conditions and factors including wind speed, glare, and water clarity (turbidity) affect the ability of researchers to count manatees, while the severity of the cold front determines just how many manatees are present at the warm water site to be counted.

http://www.savethemanatee.org/population.htm

SteelCut
02-05-2016, 09:54
I hope the manatee numbers are rebounding but I don't have the greatest confidence in the FL FWS.

We live part of the winter in FL and haven't seen any manatees this year at the usual locations that we have seen them in past years but that be because of the warmer temps this winter.

martinb
02-06-2016, 15:15
FWC will approve a manatee hunt soon, right?

Dogwood
02-06-2016, 17:04
I tend to want to look behind the curtain. I want to know a full range of consequences and impacts to different groups that seek to gain or be somehow negatively impacted by the Endangered to Threatened designation. Someone always suffers and someone always poses to gain as a result of these decisions. Human interests, not often publicly heralded, factor into these decisions. These players will attempt to influence the decision making process. Listen, watch, sniff out, and study carefully ALL SIDES to detect the things that aren't being openly stated.

MuddyWaters
02-06-2016, 17:07
I tend to want to look behind the curtain. I want to know a full range of consequences and impacts to different groups that seek to gain or be somehow negatively impacted by the Endangered to Threatened designation. Someone always suffers and someone always poses to gain as a result of these decisions. Human interests, not often publicly heralded, factor into these decisions. These players will attempt to influence the decision making process. Listen, watch, sniff out, and study carefully ALL SIDES to detect the things that aren't being openly stated.

Homeowners that dislike long no-wake manatee zones..........................

Puddlefish
02-06-2016, 17:09
FWC will approve a manatee hunt soon, right?

No, no, you put a saddle on the Manatee and use it as a trusty steed to hunt pythons from.

martinb
02-06-2016, 17:50

Boat owners. Second only to developers when it comes to influencing FL legislation in their favor.

martinb
02-06-2016, 17:51
No, no, you put a saddle on the Manatee and use it as a trusty steed to hunt pythons from.

I like it! Manatees would also know where to find the Skunk Ape.

WingedMonkey
02-06-2016, 19:59
Homeowners that dislike long no-wake manatee zones..........................

Most waterfront homeowners appreciate no wake zones, no mater the reason for their enforcement.