PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Parking

dAKOTA sLIM
02-05-2016, 14:27
Doing a section hike and want to park my vehicle some where near deep gap where I will be coming out. any advice on safe parking location for 5 nights?

Gambit McCrae
02-05-2016, 14:34
If you mean the Deep Gap close to the GA/ NC Border (First parking available in NC going North), it is A okay to park here. Do you have a good shuttle driver yet? If not I would Highly recommend Ron Brown.

saltysack
02-05-2016, 20:21
Standing Indian campground or backcountry kiosk....never had an issue..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peakbagger
02-06-2016, 06:37
Its been quite few years but I seem to remember Standing Indian Campground had a campground host which generally reduces car breakins significantly

coach lou
02-06-2016, 06:42
there is actually a button somewhere up on the tool bar, that lists all the parking along the trail, with advice and saftey notes. Somewhere here.

coach lou
02-06-2016, 11:30
http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/

Here is that parking link!

dAKOTA sLIM
02-07-2016, 14:21
Thanks fpr all the input. If I park at Standing Indian amp Ground, is there a shuttle service available as it looks to be about 13 miles from Deep Gap to Standing Indian.

If you mean the Deep Gap close to the GA/ NC Border (First parking available in NC going North), it is A okay to park here. Do you have a good shuttle driver yet? If not I would Highly recommend Ron Brown.

Slo-go'en
02-07-2016, 16:58
Thanks fpr all the input. If I park at Standing Indian amp Ground, is there a shuttle service available as it looks to be about 13 miles from Deep Gap to Standing Indian.

Someone would have to drive in from Hiawassee which would be included in the cost no doubt. Give that Ron Brown guy a call and find out.

steve_zavocki
02-10-2016, 16:21
From what I understand, Deep Gap, NC is inaccessible by car until April 1. The forest service road is closed from Jan 4-April 1 each year. I was going to section hike Deep Gap south the Dicks Creek, and the day before I thought that maybe I should check, so I called the NC forest service and got a person who told me it was closed. I missed it by 3 days. I did Unicoi-Dicks Creek instead.

I did hear it is a very safe place to park.

Eric.Hanke
03-24-2016, 14:59
I'm going to section hike starting at Mountain Crossing and ending in NC at the Deep Gap parking lot. Anyone doing a similar hike and want to ride share or split the shuttle costs?