PDA

View Full Version : TRT to PCT to JMT?

The Solemates
12-16-2005, 16:37
Is it possible? what kinda mileage am i looking at?

Ender
12-16-2005, 17:34
Is it possible? what kinda mileage am i looking at?

They (JMT & PCT) overlap for most of the length of the JMT... like the LT and AT. So, there's no mileage between the two :)

They split off at the turn to Mt Whitney on one end... I forget where the split is on the other end. BTW, Mt Whitney is really really cool. I started up at 2AM and made it in time for the sunrise. And then proceded to take a nap. Mmmmmmm....

Oh, and the TRT and PCT overlap as well... or at least cross. I think around the Big Meadows area... don't know the distance between the TRT and the JMT on the PCT though.. maybe 100 miles? Dunno... just a guess...

Sly
12-16-2005, 18:03
The Tahoe Yosemite Trail starts at Meeks Bay, Lake Tahoe. In about 30 miles it reaches the Tahoe Rim Trail/PCT in the Desolation Wilderness. From this junction it's about another 150 miles to Tolumne Meadows. From TM it's about another 200 to Whitney Portal.

Sly
12-16-2005, 18:52
I made a mistake.

It's about 10 miles from the start of the TYT to where it meets the TRT and PCT. I think all 3 are the same for another 30 miles or so where the TRT heads east. The TYT and the PCT share the same trail off and on to TM where you meet the JMT ("southwest" 25 mi. to the Valley). The PCT and JMT share the same trail until Thousand Island Lakes. From here, to Reds Meadow, the JMT is considered more scenic and passes by a couple more lakes, the PCT is considered the high route with nice views of the JMT! ;)

Again from Reds, until near Crabree Meadows, it's the same trail where the JMT heads "east" 8 mi. to Whitney, the PCT south.

The Solemates
12-19-2005, 11:55
I made a mistake.

It's about 10 miles from the start of the TYT to where it meets the TRT and PCT. I think all 3 are the same for another 30 miles or so where the TRT heads east. The TYT and the PCT share the same trail off and on to TM where you meet the JMT ("southwest" 25 mi. to the Valley). The PCT and JMT share the same trail until Thousand Island Lakes. From here, to Reds Meadow, the JMT is considered more scenic and passes by a couple more lakes, the PCT is considered the high route with nice views of the JMT! ;)

Again from Reds, until near Crabree Meadows, it's the same trail where the JMT heads "east" 8 mi. to Whitney, the PCT south.

wow, now im really confused...but its not your fault. i dont know a whole lot about the area, so I guess I just need to get some maps to link up these trails!

my general thought though, is to perhaps hike the TRT, connect to the PCT, then do the JMT/PCT to whitney. i would like to do the entire JMT though, starting at Yosemite and am not sure if this is possible. i would also like to do at least most of the TRT, which may be hard as well without some serious backtracking. maps are needed! anyone have any suggestions on the best guidebooks/maps? an overview map with all 3 trails, plus any connector trails, plus roads and towns would be perfect to get a grasp on logistics.

i have about a month this summer. so, if i understand correctly, doing the 3 trails + whatever connectors would be a little over 400 miles? ...sounds about right for a month hike.

The Solemates
12-19-2005, 11:57
They (JMT & PCT) overlap for most of the length of the JMT... like the LT and AT. So, there's no mileage between the two :)

They split off at the turn to Mt Whitney on one end... I forget where the split is on the other end. BTW, Mt Whitney is really really cool. I started up at 2AM and made it in time for the sunrise. And then proceded to take a nap. Mmmmmmm....

Oh, and the TRT and PCT overlap as well... or at least cross. I think around the Big Meadows area... don't know the distance between the TRT and the JMT on the PCT though.. maybe 100 miles? Dunno... just a guess...

yea, we did whitney this september and had a blast!

The Solemates
12-19-2005, 15:45
yea, we did whitney this september and had a blast!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jcartne/detail?.dir=e42b&.dnm=5e55.jpg&.src=ph

Sly
12-19-2005, 19:25
The Tahoe Rim Trail encircles Lake Tahoe, but never touches the lake and is about 165 miles.

http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/

The Tahoe Yosemite Trail is about 180 miles long and starts on the west side of the lake at Meeks Bay, shares some of the TRT, TRT/PCT and PCT and goes to Toulemne Meadows.

http://www.longtrails.com/tyt/

The JMT is about 220 miles long at starts in Yosemite Valley

You could conceivably hike all of the TYT along with a portion TRT and once in TM drop down to YV and hike all of the JMT which would be about 400 miles or hike all of the TRT, most (or all) of the TYT and then the JMT for about a 535-570 mile hike.

Sly
12-19-2005, 19:37
OK here's a map that will help... click here..

http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/mapstart.htm#

then click view map from Barker Pass to Echo Lake. On this map look for Meeks Bay. From there you can follow the TYT to the TRT as it heads SW and south. The trail in red on this map is not only the TRT but the PCT.