PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to navigate through snow

backtrack213
02-05-2016, 15:38
I'm doing a section hike of northern PA from 501 to DWG. The climb out of Palmerston is something i was thinking would be hard to navigate if covered in snow since there isn't any trees to see the blazes. Any advice on navigating in the snow?

colorado_rob
02-05-2016, 15:41
Gps, i use it all the time in winter in CO

backtrack213
02-05-2016, 16:48
Gps, i use it all the time in winter in CO
Got any recomendations?

colorado_rob
02-05-2016, 17:11
Got any recomendations?Sure, I use the little Garmin Fortrex 401

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Foretrex-401-Waterproof-Hiking/dp/B002EOSQII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454706234&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+gps+-+foretrex+401

When I go to an area that I know will be hard to stay on trail (because of snow), I pre-load a track or set of waypoints that I know does follow the actual trail. Most popular trails have tracks or waypoints somewhere online, just search around. I use TOPO to interface with my GPS, but I think it comes with some software to do this as well.

This little device does not support maps of any sort. there are plenty of other fancier GPS units around that do, if this is important to you. It's not to me, I'd rather have the teeny-tiny unit and just use it to follow a track, or sometimes most importantly for what I like to do, follow my own track back to where I started (n/a for what you need it for). It also makes a nice speedometer, odometer, and accurate altimeter, which can help in navigation as well.

I did NOT bother carrying this on my AT hike, but I didn't have snow to navigate through.

I know smart phones now have excellent GPS units built in, and I betcha using a phone and the guthook app might work for you too. I personally haven't experimented with my phone GPS, but plenty of others on here have.

Slo-go'en
02-05-2016, 17:21
GPS isn't going to help you with the climb out of Palmerston. You just have to pick your way up that rock face as best you can. It might actually be easier in snow, but I would think it more likely to be covered in ice.

Once on the ridge line, the trail should be easy enough to follow, as for the most part it's a wide, straight path. One must be careful though, every so often the trail veers off to visit some pile of rocks off the to side before coming back to the nice easy path.

Turk6177
02-05-2016, 21:53
Follow the footprints of someone who broke the trail! lol

rocketsocks
02-05-2016, 23:14
Take the winter route around the Mt.

rocketsocks
02-05-2016, 23:16
...there's a small sign at the base of the mountain along the access road to palmerton there that says winter trail.

Tipi Walter
02-05-2016, 23:18
Pull 7 days in your tent at the foot of the mountain and wait for the snow to melt.

rocketsocks
02-05-2016, 23:32
Pull 7 days in your tent at the foot of the mountain and wait for the snow to melt.most would lay up at the Palmerston jail hostel, but they shut it down last year for bad hiker behavior.

rafe
02-05-2016, 23:51
I believe it's Palmerton. Just saying.

rafe
02-05-2016, 23:52
Pull 7 days in your tent at the foot of the mountain and wait for the snow to melt.

Sounds like a heap o' fun. :rolleyes:

rafe
02-05-2016, 23:56
I'm doing a section hike of northern PA from 501 to DWG. The climb out of Palmerston is something i was thinking would be hard to navigate if covered in snow since there isn't any trees to see the blazes. Any advice on navigating in the snow?

If you're talking about the climb out Lehigh Gap, your problem isn't navigation so much as the fact that it is extremely steep and rocky. Personally I wouldn't mess with it if it were icy or snow-covered. But maybe that's just me.

Once you're up on the ridge it's easy going. There is an easier way up, what folks here have been calling the winter trail.

rocketsocks
02-06-2016, 00:15
...there's a small sign at the base of the mountain along the access road to palmerton there that says winter trail.

I believe it's Palmerton. Just saying.
I think you're right...sausage feengas.

rocketsocks
02-06-2016, 00:30
Winter trail

rafe
02-06-2016, 00:36
As I recall... facing north, after you cross the highway, to get to the winter trail, you'll turn left and walk a flat path parallel the highway for a few minutes before turning right and heading uphill again. I don't know if it's marked on the AT maps or not.

rocketsocks
02-06-2016, 01:00
As I recall... facing north, after you cross the highway, to get to the winter trail, you'll turn left and walk a flat path parallel the highway for a few minutes before turning right and heading uphill again. I don't know if it's marked on the AT maps or not.
That's right.

ALLEGHENY
02-06-2016, 01:12

If one stays on the path parallel to the highway and not turn right. Will that take you into town?

That was a busy highway if you had to walk it. I got ride from a girl in a jeep.

Slo-go'en
02-06-2016, 10:51
If one stays on the path parallel to the highway and not turn right. Will that take you into town?

That was a busy highway if you had to walk it. I got ride from a girl in a jeep.

Yes, but you have to cross some private, industrial land. I went back to the trail that way from town and had to sweat talk my way past a guard shack at the entrance to the zinc smelter property. The guard was a bit surprised to see me walk up to the shack, but once I explained where I wanted to go, he let me pass.

On the way into town, we followed the RR tracks and that was not a very fun walk.

atraildreamer
02-06-2016, 16:41

Buy a plow.