PDA

View Full Version : Poncho or Rain gear

Longboysfan
02-05-2016, 16:40
I've gotten a poncho to cover me and my pack.

But when I look at gear off other sites people use - more than half have a separate wet weather cover up.

I'm trying to keep the pack weight down and this was one of the things I thought would help.

Thoughts????

Harrison Bergeron
02-05-2016, 17:01
You don't need both. But if its cold and windy, as well as rainy, a poncho might need some help. That's when a windshirt like a Houdini comes in handy.

You can also use some masons line to tie the poncho tighter for windy rain. I actually sewed some straps with velcro onto mine which I use like a belt if it gets windy.

rocketsocks
02-05-2016, 17:53
Also ponchos make it hard to view your footing when going up or down hills if not fastened tight.

ScottTrip
02-05-2016, 18:01
You will dump your poncho for full rain gear. Poncho just does not cut in on a thru..

Jake2c
02-05-2016, 18:46
As always in these "either or" questions there are different views. I have done a few section hikes and will start a thru shortly. For cold weather I will probably wear a rain jacket. In hot weather, poncho. I have seen both during section hikes. When I was hiking in October during all that rain, I just couldn't take the rain jacket. It was a light breathable one but I still dripped sweat and that jacket became the smelliest thing I owned, even beat out my socks.

johnnybgood
02-05-2016, 20:39
Main sure to get a Rain jacket with DryTouch feature that allows for less condensation and better breathability that reduces sweaty skin.

kayak karl
02-05-2016, 20:42
Packa........ (http://www.thepacka.com/)

Venchka
02-05-2016, 21:32
You will dump your poncho for full rain gear. Poncho just does not cut in on a thru..

Nope. Not me.
Ok, what makes a "thru" so special that I would "dump" my poncho? Hey.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Turk6177
02-05-2016, 22:13
Driducks by Frogg Toggs or is it Frogg Toggs by Driducks? Either way, look for the ultralight backpacking rain gear.

nsherry61
02-06-2016, 01:04
Warm, cold, windy, calm, I use and love my poncho year round. I found it works great for me and my pack, except when actually mountaineering where I need the agility and may encounter extreme winds, and, where I am often moving slower so I'm not generating as much heat and moisture.

ALLEGHENY
02-06-2016, 01:29
This is my poncho I used on my A.T. Thru. Use it still to Hike, Hunt, Fish and emergency /backup shelter. Used one of my tree straps as a belt.

ALLEGHENY
02-06-2016, 01:29
This is my poncho I used on my A.T. Thru. Use it still to Hike, Hunt, Fish and emergency /backup shelter. Used one of my tree straps as a belt.

http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/raingear/terrapin-ultralite-poncho-shelter.cfm

Christoph
02-06-2016, 01:37
I was pretty happy with my Frog Toggs rain top. Didn't have rain pants. Might try a packa next time, I hear a lot of good with those.

nsherry61
02-06-2016, 10:41
. . . I use and love my poncho year round. . .
This is my brother-in-law and me on one of our annual winter multi-day back-country ski strips. The sun had come out and the trees were raining on us as the snow melted. We and our packs stayed dry and we didn't overheat.