PDA

View Full Version : compression top base layer or other choice

dbright
02-05-2016, 17:06
I have been trying to test what works well for me and have a questions on what everyone else is wearing. I live in Chicago and the temps have been in the teens - 30. I have tried to wear compression base layer and a synthetic top and wind break for hiking but my chest gets cool. I still sweat. I have also tried to wear my smartwool shirt and a synthetic shirt over that with my wind break and this works better but still cool on top. The rest of my body is warm so I do not have a problem with being too cold. What is everyone else doing for there tops.

MuddyWaters
02-05-2016, 17:08
Compression doesnt wick good, and restricts circulation, both bad.

egilbe
02-05-2016, 18:54
150wt long sleeve merino baselayer, Patagonia R1 hoody and either a fleece vest and/or nylon anorak. Depending on wind and temperature. Can swap out a cap 4 hoody for the R1.

gbolt
02-06-2016, 10:32
I understand your chest getting cool. Hate when the straps rub across the nips! :eek:
Make sure you zip up a layer to the chin to create a microclimate; while loosening the chest strap. I am looking into a neck gaiter/buff that I asked about in another thread. Maybe a possibility for you.

Finally, I solve many cold/sweat problems of the upper body by switching headwear. The choice of what is on my head can improve the effeciency of my layering system tremendously.

Enjoy the tests hikes. I try to do the same thing once a week.

Yiddo
02-06-2016, 13:07
I use long sleeve 50/50 merino wool/primaloft shirt by sherpa equipment with the rab xenon x hoodie. Keeps me warm down to about 25 comfortably

Cheyou
02-06-2016, 13:50
Cheep 100w fleece. Or a nice one if u prefer and afford ! Any color but I am sure green is warmest ;0) and coolest

thom