PDA

View Full Version : the travel hammock

neo
12-16-2005, 17:38
here is a really cool hammock i got one today,made by travel hammock inc
much better than the byer hammock no cords to tangle on sale 19.99
available in od green blue and camo,mine in od green gonna get another in cammo:cool: neo
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000BR8RZM/sr=1-14/qid=1134768824/ref=sr_1_14/102-1760052-4975349?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=3375301&s=sporting-goods&v=glance

neo
12-16-2005, 17:43
here is the cammo version,i used mine in the back yard easy to hang
very comfy and hassle free,:cool: neo

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00030DFP4/sr=1-1/qid=1134769292/ref=sr_1_1/102-1760052-4975349?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=3375301&s=sporting-goods&v=glance

Patrick
12-16-2005, 17:57
neo,

Excellent find. I officially crown you the king of budget hammock gear. Are the weights listed accurate? Do they include all the suspension stuff?

neo
12-16-2005, 20:52
neo,

Excellent find. I officially crown you the king of budget hammock gear. Are the weights listed accurate? Do they include all the suspension stuff?

thanks patrick,i will wiegh it at the post office,the is much better than the
byer hammock,the byer hammock is a hassle because the cords at each
end tangle:cool: neo

neo
12-17-2005, 01:12
not to be confused with the byer traveller hammock:cool: neo

http://www.byerofmaine.com/amazonas-traveller.htm

travel hammock
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000BR8RZM/sr=1-14/qid=1134768824/ref=sr_1_14/102-1760052-4975349?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=3375301&s=sporting-goods&v=glance

smokymtnsteve
12-17-2005, 01:17
U must b feelin better neo...

what with them pictures of the girls in the hammocks ;)

MedicineMan
12-17-2005, 02:28
I use the byer traveler to store sleeping bags/quilts/down parkas/etc in at home, suspended and up and out of the way

attroll
12-17-2005, 03:46
I use the byer traveler to store sleeping bags/quilts/down parkas/etc in at home, suspended and up and out of the way

Wow, I never thought of doing that. Thanks for that idea.

MedicineMan
12-17-2005, 04:12
even the cats cant get up that high to nap :)
the big plus is good aeration and no compression
the bad side is a little dust to shake off when you need the item
i've got three hanging side by side all full of down gear

rpettit
04-04-2007, 07:57
Trying to find an inexpensive entry level hammock for my daughter. She is 5' 7", 125 lbs. How do you think this hammock would work for her? Can you lay flat/diagonally in this hammock?

Grinder
04-04-2007, 10:56
Re. the Byer, even if you are carefull and keep the cords from tangling, the cords seem to stretch out during the night. Every morning, my but would be on or near the ground.

This hammock look good.

Miles of Smiles

Tom

saimyoji
04-04-2007, 11:23
Trying to find an inexpensive entry level hammock for my daughter. She is 5' 7", 125 lbs. How do you think this hammock would work for her? Can you lay flat/diagonally in this hammock?

Make one ala risk.

http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

SouthMark
04-04-2007, 12:00

This hammock would work fine. I'm 5'9" and weigh 160. I have this hammock and a Hennessy ULB. I use the Traveler during non-bug season. I can lay flat/diagonal in it. It is very comfortable. In fact, this past weekend we had a housefull of out-of-town guests for which we gave up our beds. Rather than sleeping on a roll-away bed in the basement, I just set up my Traveler hammock and had a good nights sleep.

It only weighs 10 oz. My friend, my grandson and my granddaughter have the Skeeter Beeter which is the same hammock but with bug netting. At around $20 most places you just can't beat it or make your own much cheaper.

rpettit
04-04-2007, 12:43
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered one, $20 is hard to beat. I figure if I try to make one, after a couple screw ups I would spend as much money anyway. Do you use a pad in it? I had a Byer, didn't like the ropes, the ropes seperated from the knot, and it was hard to keep a CCF pad from popping out of it. If she doesn't like it, I can use it to lay around and drink beer in. Even if she does like it, since I'm paying for it, I might use to lay around and drink beer in anyway!!!

rpettit
04-04-2007, 12:47
Also, did you install a ridgeline on it?

SouthMark
04-04-2007, 14:48
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered one, $20 is hard to beat. I figure if I try to make one, after a couple screw ups I would spend as much money anyway. Do you use a pad in it? I had a Byer, didn't like the ropes, the ropes seperated from the knot, and it was hard to keep a CCF pad from popping out of it. If she doesn't like it, I can use it to lay around and drink beer in. Even if she does like it, since I'm paying for it, I might use to lay around and drink beer in anyway!!!

No ropes like on the Byer (I had one of these also). Sometimes I use a pad and sometimes an underquilt. Just depends on expected temps. I do have a structural ridgeline. Makes hanging perfect everytime and is nice to hang stuff that I might need in the night. I used it last month down to 24 degrees with a Wal-Mart blue CCF and a Thermarest combined in a Speer SPE. Slept cozy and comfortable. One of my favorite ways to use CCF pads is to use one piece 1/4" x 20" x 38" under my legs and feet, then a seperate piece 3/8" x 20" x 36" under my torso and shoulders. Much easier to position and reposition if necessary.

rpettit
04-04-2007, 14:53
How long is your ridgeline? Do you have running from the ends of the hammock body similiar to the HH? I use a HH ULB also.

SouthMark
04-04-2007, 16:17
How long is your ridgeline? Do you have running from the ends of the hammock body similiar to the HH? I use a HH ULB also.

I do not know exactly how long it is. I just set it by trial and error to what was a comfortable sag of the hammock. I'm guessing around 90". I actually used one of the ropes that came with the hammock as I removed the metal "S" hooks and added Speer type straps. I attached the ridgeline to the straps at the point where they connect to the short pieces of rope that form the ends of the hammock. I have my hammock set-up and home and tonight I'll take a picture to post if you would like.

rpettit
04-04-2007, 17:48
I do not know exactly how long it is. I just set it by trial and error to what was a comfortable sag of the hammock. I'm guessing around 90". I actually used one of the ropes that came with the hammock as I removed the metal "S" hooks and added Speer type straps. I attached the ridgeline to the straps at the point where they connect to the short pieces of rope that form the ends of the hammock. I have my hammock set-up and home and tonight I'll take a picture to post if you would like.

Sure post it. I am interested in how you have it set up. Thanks.

rpettit
04-05-2007, 09:47

Do you think it would be possible to attach the ridgeline where the short piece of rope form the ends of the hammock?

SouthMark
04-05-2007, 10:19
Do you think it would be possible to attach the ridgeline where the short piece of rope form the ends of the hammock?

I measured my ridgeline last night. It is actually 104". Attached are two photos (I hope) of how I attached the ridgline.

rpettit
04-05-2007, 10:41
I measured my ridgeline last night. It is actually 104". Attached are two photos (I hope) of how I attached the ridgline.
Thanks for the pic. I think that I can attach the ridgeline at the end of the hammock body where the rope is knotted.