PDA

View Full Version : Ga>me 2006

Pedaling Fool
12-16-2005, 17:52
As I was planning my trip through the Presidentals; I am looking at how to best miss all the AMC huts, not interested in working for lodging. I found that Randolph Mountain Club (RMC) manages four sites, which are:

1. Perch shelter
2. Gray knob cabin
3. Crag camp cabin
4. The Log Cabin

I have not been able to locate "The Log Cabin". Does anyone know where this is located and how far off the A.T. ?

Speer Carrier
12-16-2005, 18:15
A better question is, "who is John Gault"

sincerely,

Ayn Rand

ARambler
12-16-2005, 19:02
I stayed at the Perch in 2004. It was the furthest I hiked off the AT, but I think it was worth it. It is about 1/2 mile flat, but rocky, and 1/2 mile down hill. It has a great sunset and good water. The charge might be a dollar cheaper than the AMC sites. It is a reasonable day from the Mizpah tent sites, aka Nauman. It may be the best spot between Mizpah and Osgood. The Lake of the Couds dungin is dank and Craig/Grey Knob are pretty far off and it usually makes sense to push on to Osgood. However, it took me 3 hr to go from Madison Hut to Osgood in very windy weather, this year.
Rambler

Roland
12-16-2005, 20:12
As I was planning my trip through the Presidentals; I am looking at how to best miss all the AMC huts, not interested in working for lodging. I found that Randolph Mountain Club (RMC) manages four sites, which are:

1. Perch shelter
2. Gray knob cabin
3. Crag camp cabin
4. The Log Cabin

I have not been able to locate "The Log Cabin". Does anyone know where this is located and how far off the A.T. ?
The Perch, Gray Knob and Crag Camp, are nearly equidistant from the AT. Each is just over a mile, off the ridge.

The Log Cabin is more than a mile downhill of Gray Knob, on Lowe's Path. It is roughly 2.5 miles off the AT.

See RMC's website for more info:

http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/aboutourshelters.html

drsukie
12-16-2005, 21:39
A better question is, "who is John Gault"

sincerely,

Ayn Rand

I think he was a friend to Howard Roark...

Smiles, Dominique F. Wynand

The Old Fhart
12-18-2005, 11:17
It isn't just how far off the A.T. the RMC facilities are, but also how much elevation you would lose to stay there and how much climbing you'd have to do the next morning to get back to the trail. The A.T. (local name-Gulfside Trail) in this area is about 5500 feet elevation. The Perch, Gray Knob, and Crag Camp are all about 1 mile from the A.T. and about 1200 feet lower (4200-4400 feet). The Log Cabin is about 2 miles off the A.T. and 2200 feet lower (3300 feet).

Rather than stay at any of these facilities, a better plan would be to hike about 4 miles further on the A.T. and stay at Osgood Campsite. If you really want to stay at an RMC facility I'd strongly recommend Crag Camp right on the edge of King Ravine for absolutely fantastic views (also check out Knight's Castle for views). I've also stayed at Gray Knob summer and winter(fully insulated and heated) and that is a great place to stay as well. The Log Cabin is a narrow deep shelter that will hold about 10 people and I stayed there one winter at 0 degrees. It isn't anything special and not worth the extra mileage and work to get there if you're on the A.T..

neighbor dave
12-18-2005, 11:39
we hiked from mizpah hut to "the bluff" just a short distance beyond osgood tentsite.i wonder how many thru-hikers actually go down to the r.m.c. camps?? they are nice but you do lose significant elevation to get to them.:welcome

rickb
12-18-2005, 12:10
I have an alternative way of looking at the RMC facilities.

To my way of thinking, a stop at the Perch is a great way of crossing the Presidentials, and may well be much better than continuing on to Osgood, which is a very boring tentsite on the way off the mountain.

Why?

1. The trails to and from the Perch are beautiful. You have a some different options.

2. The effort of climbing a relatively gradual 1000 feet feels much less when most of it is above tree-line. All thru hikers are reluctant to drop elevation if they can avoid it, but this is the one area on the whole trail where I'd suggest that it isn't a big deal to do so.

3. You get another day on the Presidentials. Another shot at good weather, or even perfect sunrise. What's more, while you will have walked through big crowds of hut and day hikers the day before (ugh), you now have the chance to enjoy the mountain all by yourself. Just start your walk early-- even the folks at Madison hut wont be on the trails until after their scheduled breakfast. You will have a private mountain (for a while, anyway).

4. If you started your day at Nauman tentsite, rather than Lakes of the Clouds, the distance might just feel right.

5. If the Perch is full, you can walk on to Gray Knob, or get creative. You need a map, of course.

6. If you are a SOBO, staying at the Perch positions you well for a hike to Nauman tent site, if you don't want to rely on the charity of the AMC and a night at Lakes of the Clouds.