PDA

View Full Version : Sept hike fontana dam to damascus.

Trailwolf52
02-07-2016, 01:44
Looking for anyone who may be planning a hike first and second week of September. First time,AT hiker and looking to possibly meet people on the trail so not to do alone

daddytwosticks
02-07-2016, 07:56
That's a very "off-season" time to hike the southern appys IMHO. Between the summer peak and before the leaf season. You'll probably only run into most hikers while in the Smoky's and on weekends. Hope you have a great hike. :)

LuckyMan
02-07-2016, 09:50
Last year I started at Davenport Gap (eastern edge of smokies) and went north to Harpers Ferry and DC, met multiple hikers every day

Trailwolf52
02-09-2016, 07:48
any suggestions on clothing and sleeping bag because I'm curious what the weather is like in 1st of September there. heard there was a lot of rain last year after Labor Day

daddytwosticks
02-09-2016, 08:14
Still summer early in September in the southern apps. By the end of September, days start getting short and you can sense a change in the weather - more fall like. Maybe a lightweight sleeping bag or quilt. I still carry some sort of insulation, like a 100 wt fleece, and a hat these times of year. However, I tend to run cold whenever I stop hiking. :)

LuckyMan
02-09-2016, 09:27
Last fall it varied a lot - hot at the start, some pleasantly cool days and cold nights in the middle, a few hot and muggy days at the end in northern Virginia in early November; a few periods of multiday rain. I thought I'd see snow but never did, but of course every year differs.

Mr. Bumpy
02-09-2016, 11:16
Perfect time to hike down here.
I'd take a 20 bag but outside of a pair of tights, fleece pullover, jacket, and toboggan probably not much in the way of extra clothes.

Trailwolf52
02-09-2016, 11:34
, hoping that means Shelters space will be plentiful

HooKooDooKu
02-09-2016, 12:10
September can be a bit of a tricky month in GSMNP. I've been hiking up to LeConte Lodge in mid-September for about 15 years. I've encountered below freezing temperatures as well as nights where the temperature never fell below 50º.

If you take a 20º bag, you should be good with what ever the weather conditions are likely to be. If you can check the long term forecast just before you leave, you could also likely do just a well with only a 32º.

Sondance Kid
03-06-2016, 14:31
Right now, I'm looking for hiking partner(s) to go from Fontana Dam to Hot Springs in May or early June. If that fails, I'd be interested in hiking that section with you in September, maybe all the way to Damascus. I'm a senior hiker (55+) who thru-hiked in 2009. For the past couple of years, I've been section hiking in the north with Rain Man and the Nashville Backpackers. If you have any questions about the AT, you might want to check them out. They are a great group of people who have a lot of fun on the trail. Hiking the Smokies was one of the highlights of my thru-hike. I'm anxious to get back.