PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag for 11-year old boy

scothiker
12-16-2005, 20:08
Anyone have suggestions? Don't think we'll be doing anything more than 3-5 day section hikes for a while, in not less than 30 degrees.

While we're at it, any ladies have a favorite sleeping bag to suggest for me?

DrewNC2005
12-16-2005, 20:18
You could safely assume he'll outgrow it and may not want to spend a ton of money. A good synthetic bag would be REI's Polar Pod. My wife had that one, and while a little heavy and bulky, it is not pricey at all and works.

Another way to look at it is to invest now so you won't have to spend later. If that is the route you take, go with a down bag. I see you are from Atlanta so a 20 degree bag would be fine. Marmot, Western Mountaineering, and Mont-Bell all make great down bags that you could probably find on eBay or here somewhere between $150-250. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that much money.

scothiker
12-16-2005, 20:28
Actually, my son's name is also Drew. :) Thanks for the advice.

I looked at Campmor and they didn't have very many choices. One was the Columbia Trekster Jr. Mummy - to 10 degrees for $50.00. Anyone have an opinion? Or do I just go to the local REI and have him try a few different ones?

sliderule
12-16-2005, 22:00
I would not buy a "junior" size sleeping bag for an eleven year-old child. He will outgrow it before you can blink your eyes. I would suggest The North Face Blue Kazoo for your son and The North Face Blue Igloo for you. Both are currently on sale at Campmor.

SteveJ
12-16-2005, 23:21
Anyone have suggestions? Don't think we'll be doing anything more than 3-5 day section hikes for a while, in not less than 30 degrees.

While we're at it, any ladies have a favorite sleeping bag to suggest for me?

Hi, Scot. I just bought my son this bag a couple of weeks ago:

http://tinyurl.com/7qxjp

I got it from Campmor - but they don't seem to have it anymore - the above link is $5 less than I paid at campmor...didn't compare shipping costs....

He used it on a campout last weekend for the first time (we went on a Boy Scout campmoree with my older son's troop). Lows in the mid-20's. He was kind of cold when he went to bed. In just a minute, he was chuckling - "Dad, I'm warmer than in bed at home!" Of course, he had a couple of layers on, with a couple of 'handwarmers.' (it's amazing how happy he is when snuggled up with these!)

I like the total wt of less than 2.5 lbs. He'll outgrow it in a couple of years - but it's only $45!

Fun stuff!

Steve

C_Brice
12-17-2005, 02:57
Haven't ever tried this but read about it some time ago. Buy him a full size bag that he can grow into. Until that time take a cord and tie it off below his feet so it's shorter. Bet he's growing like a weed right now and you will be able to adjust it as he get bigger and have a full size bad when he is full grown.

Anyone do this or have opinions?
Chris

littlelaurel59
12-17-2005, 17:24
A sleeping bag is a long term investment, and arguably the most important item in one's pack. Get the best you can afford (for the conditions you can expect to encounter). Teach him how to take care of it well. He will use it until he replaces it with the yet-to-be-discovered insulation material that is warmer, lighter, and more water resistant than down.

betic4lyf
12-17-2005, 19:10
being a senior in high school, and looking back, i would say getting something a bit bigger, but still inexpensive would be smart. say a short adult bag, synthetic insulation. a kelty stratus short, might be good, its light, and inexpensive.

Seeker
12-19-2005, 12:45
my mom bought my daughter a The North Face Tigger bag about 6 years ago, and it's still going strong... she's 11 now. i think it was rated to about 30*, but we've seldom been out when it was that cold overnight. the few times we did, i made sure she was well insulated underneath, and just laid a jacket over her. she was fine. kids run a little warmer than adults anyway.

however, if I were the one putting out the $$ for a new bag for her right now, i'd go with a full sized adult bag and just tie the feet off, as someone suggested...

campmor carries/carried a bag that had a zip off foot compartment for growing kids... don't know if they still do or not, but i'm pretty sure it was in their latest catalog.

scothiker
12-19-2005, 15:16
Excellent advice - thanks to all! And happy holidays!

betic4lyf
12-20-2005, 00:03
one more thing. some might cry fowl, but for a eleven year old boy, heck a seventeen year old to, campfires are a must.

sliderule
12-20-2005, 11:14
one more thing. some might cry fowl, but for a eleven year old boy, heck a seventeen year old to, campfires are a must.

And others might cry "foul." Like your English teacher!!!