PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to OR Helium 2

mml373
02-07-2016, 21:35
Another hiker recommended the above rain jacket to replace my military gortex jacket. Unfortunately, the jacket does not have pit zips. Can anyone recommend a rain jacket that has pit zips and is of similar weight to the Helium 2? I don't want to sacrifice on ventilation, but still require packability and light weight.

Thank you.

B.j. Clark
02-07-2016, 21:46
Montbell Versalite?

u.w.
02-07-2016, 22:06
I've got an Anti Gravity Gear Ultra-Light rain jacket. Works Great, weighs about 5 oz, and has big pit zips. I love mine and would definitely get another.

u.w.

Ksbcrocks
02-07-2016, 23:29
The Helium HD is pretty much the same as the II but with pit zips and hand pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
02-08-2016, 00:53
The Helium HD is half price at OR.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens-helium-hd-jacket-2.html

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Casey & Gina
02-08-2016, 18:01
Crap, just when I thought I was happy with the Helium II...that sale price is a great deal. I was tempted by the Montbell Versalite but ended up going with the OR since I could try it in person before buying it and ensure the fit was great. Happy I did as OR has ended up being one of my favorite brands, but that Helium HD looks like a worthy step up.

Oh well, I'm not buying another rain jacket. :P

Gambit McCrae
02-09-2016, 08:04
Another hiker recommended the above rain jacket to replace my military gortex jacket. Unfortunately, the jacket does not have pit zips. Can anyone recommend a rain jacket that has pit zips and is of similar weight to the Helium 2? I don't want to sacrifice on ventilation, but still require packability and light weight.

Thank you.

The OR Helium HD has pit zips!!!

Venchka
02-09-2016, 09:04
Pit zips: Never leave home without them.

Wayne

BrianLe
02-09-2016, 11:57
Another preference thing, possibly related to personal metabolism, hiking style, sunspots, etc. At home I do sometimes like using pit zips, but on trail I don't miss them with my Helium 2. One trick that I find helpful is that if the wind is coming more or less directly at me to put on the jacket backwards, i.e., so that the back of the jacket is to my front. Blocks the wind, easy to put on and take off without removing the pack, and perspiration can get out the unzipped back.

Each to their own, I'm not suggesting that "no pit zips" is a correct approach for everyone, just that I'm happy to save the weight on this particular piece of gear.

v1k1ng1001
02-09-2016, 21:26

Thank you.
The version with the pit zips is heavier fwiw...wouldn't make a huge difference to me either way but gram counters might care.

The Helium HD is half price at OR.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens-helium-hd-jacket-2.html

Wayne

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Venchka
02-09-2016, 21:39
There is a time to count grams. Comfort in the rain is not that time.

Wayne

cayte03
02-10-2016, 13:29
How do people feel about Marmot Crystalline?

mml373
02-12-2016, 13:10
Thanks for all replies. I ended up going with AntiGravity gear's Ultralight offering. Pit zips, drawstrings, and good reviews. Nice Customer Service answered all my questions.

So...will be trying this stuff out in the rain this Spring... Definitely easier to pack than my Gortex...

Now need to find suitable cold weather clothing. In my Gortex jacket's defense...it served as a raincoat, windbreaker, and regular coat (had a liner installed). Will be interesting to see if I can add cold weather layer and an ultralight coat to my list and still have a weight and space savings (Not sure I can...)

Brewguy
02-12-2016, 14:29
Thanks for all replies. I ended up going with AntiGravity gear's Ultralight offering. Pit zips, drawstrings, and good reviews. Nice Customer Service answered all my questions.

So...will be trying this stuff out in the rain this Spring... Definitely easier to pack than my Gortex...

Now need to find suitable cold weather clothing. In my Gortex jacket's defense...it served as a raincoat, windbreaker, and regular coat (had a liner installed). Will be interesting to see if I can add cold weather layer and an ultralight coat to my list and still have a weight and space savings (Not sure I can...)

not sure of the weight, cabelas has their primaloft hoodie on sale for $50 right now.

I know my military jacket with a uniqlo down jacket under is very warm.