PDA

View Full Version : resupply notepad

hubcap
02-08-2016, 07:57
Anyone considered taking a small notepad on a long hike? I'm an easily distracted, forgetful, daydreamer. I can see myself strolling into a resupply spot with thoughts of what I need, then being several miles down the trail only to realize I was distracted by who knows what and forgot to get something.

Any other easily distracted hikers out there have ideas on this? I'm guessing a small notepad used to make a list should help.

Gambit McCrae
02-08-2016, 08:12
Its a good idea...mail them home when you run out of space, and get another one.

Its not so much about being forgetful, if you've hiked all day, got food on the brain, could be dehydrated...Your head isn't real clear all the time. So if you have a notepad you know to go to as a checklist, it would be a lot easier to remember stuff.

I can see how if lets say you would like to pick up some soy packets the first day back from a resupply, you might forget all about them be time you get to your next resupply. A little 2x4 top flip would do the trick. In a zip lock with a small pen

kayak karl
02-08-2016, 08:20
ive been carrying a 3x5 spiral and miniature golf pencil since the 70's, but i'm sure there's an app for that now.

soumodeler
02-08-2016, 09:06
but i'm sure there's an app for that now.

Every smart phone comes with a notes app. Of course, your list isn't much good on the phone if it dies or you drop it and break it. I carried a phone and took notes there, as well as a small notepad.

rafe
02-08-2016, 09:41
ive been carrying a 3x5 spiral and miniature golf pencil since the 70's, but i'm sure there's an app for that now.

Same here, there's always a small spiral notepad with a bic pen in my "office".

Traveler
02-08-2016, 09:47

Same here. The only difference between the spiral notepads I used in the 70's and now is I use waterproof spiral notepads that allow pens to be used in the rain and don't run.

colorado_rob
02-08-2016, 09:54
Note definitely help me with my failing memory.... I think....

I just use the margins/white space in my AWOL guide with my little golf pencil.

WingedMonkey
02-08-2016, 09:59
Still carry paper and pencil.

But..more and more I've been using the voice record on my very small Casio Exilim camera.

It's strange sometimes when I listen to those recordings much later and wonder "what the hell did I think was important about that?"

:sun

Puddlefish
02-08-2016, 10:39
I can't function without a notepad, my memory is a fragile thing. I find my mind expresses itself better with the handwritten word, rather than typing.

I bought some waterproof notepads (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJN3LMQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage), they aren't particularly light at just over 4 ounces each, but they serve double duty to attach strips of Leukotape to. I'll journal from the front and make my to-do lists in the back, so it will get lighter as I dispose of the lists.

hubcap
02-08-2016, 10:54
Those look awesome! Going to pick up a few. Thanks!

tarditi
02-08-2016, 11:07
I always take a rite in the rain notepad and pencil, but I like to journal at the end of my day or beginning of the day when I'm hiking

Nodust
02-08-2016, 11:10
Right in the rain notebook. Kids fave me a pen for Christmas but pencil is just as good. Sometimes I just need to write something down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
02-08-2016, 11:44
Small 3x5, 4x6 Rite in the Rain book usually a non wire spiraled version always with a non leaking space pen that is compact, lite, and writes in the deep cold and rain. The Fabrikoid version lays flatter with no wire spiral to be concerned about puncturing a inflatable pad, tarp, tent, food sack, scratching anything, etc. I have dozens of them filled as personal trail journals with contacts, sayings, sketches, notes, alternate routes, etc and for making lists all on hikes. Good to get that stuff out of my head onto paper. Maybe I'm old school but I can take notes down on paper faster than I can text into a electronic device although I'm sure there is something available for $200 I don't know about.

rafe
02-08-2016, 12:08
Some of my notebooks from a few decades worth of hikes.

rocketsocks
02-08-2016, 12:09
Still carry paper and pencil.

But..more and more I've been using the voice record on my very small Casio Exilim camera.

It's strange sometimes when I listen to those recordings much later and wonder "what the hell did I think was important about that?"

:sunLol, just the other day I was looking at somthing I drew in one of my note pads, I've no clue what the heck it is, now I'm gonna start writing notes to myself about the notes I write. :D

Been carrying a note pad for about 30 years, every sines I started working in construction. Also good for jotting down ideas that periodically pop up about how to work a problem or project I might be working on away from work. I also like to slip in a few small pieces of graph paper and when I can find it isometric graph paper, neat stuff.

Grampie
02-08-2016, 12:17
A small note book can also be used. To keep a daily journal about your hike. You will be, glad you did keep a journal when you are done.

WingedMonkey
02-08-2016, 12:33
I've been following Handlebars Florida Trail hike, and wondered why no recent posts.

Then he posts this:

Note to reader: While I usually type my journal at the end of each day, I had to recreate all the journals from today thru Jan 24 because the IPhone randomly deleted all my recent journals. Sorry for the delay.

Casey & Gina
02-08-2016, 13:20

The pencil has unlimited battery life, and is easily field-repairable many many times using a small knife. Pretty amazing really. And while regular paper isn't "waterproof", water won't really destroy it as effectively as it will an electronic gadget.

Sadly I grew up with computers and while I can type all day my hand cramps up when I try to write more than a few sentences. :mad:

rafe
02-08-2016, 13:55
The pencil has unlimited battery life, and is easily field-repairable many many times using a small knife. Pretty amazing really. And while regular paper isn't "waterproof", water won't really destroy it as effectively as it will an electronic gadget.

Sadly I grew up with computers and while I can type all day my hand cramps up when I try to write more than a few sentences. :mad:

I grinned when I saw your lists of what-worked and what-didn't. I've been doing that for some time now. Especially when I've changed one or more major items in the kit. I suppose eventually Coyote will stand on his own two feet and you won't have to carry the load for three. :)

hubcap
02-08-2016, 14:10
Some of my notebooks from a few decades worth of hikes.
Nice! Always wished I'd kept a journal. I'm such a lazy bum!

Casey & Gina
02-08-2016, 14:30
I grinned when I saw your lists of what-worked and what-didn't. I've been doing that for some time now. Especially when I've changed one or more major items in the kit. I suppose eventually Coyote will stand on his own two feet and you won't have to carry the load for three. :)

You're assuming that he's the only one that will come along. I am more worried about what happens when we have to carry two children instead of one, haha. :P

Rocket Jones
02-09-2016, 15:03
Like a lot of hikers, I keep a notebook for the hike. I write down notes to myself, names and contact info for people I meet, journal at the end of the day, notes about pictures I take, what works and what doesn't (food and equipment) and pretty much anything and everything else. For shorter trips, I transfer the notes to my "Hiking Journal" once home again so I can go back later and remember a particular trip.

Adriana
02-09-2016, 16:13
Anyone considered taking a small notepad on a long hike? I'm an easily distracted, forgetful, daydreamer. I can see myself strolling into a resupply spot with thoughts of what I need, then being several miles down the trail only to realize I was distracted by who knows what and forgot to get something.

Any other easily distracted hikers out there have ideas on this? I'm guessing a small notepad used to make a list should help.
If you carry a smartphone you might check the App called AnyList.m. I love it!

squeezebox
02-09-2016, 17:03
I need to leave notes to myself. When my son was 7 he was diagnosed ADHD. He had about 2/3 of the behaviors on the checklist. I looked at the checklist for myself. I had nearly 100%. If you give me 2 things to do I will remember, give me 3 and I will forget something. So I do things to counter that.

shawnlakenorman
02-09-2016, 21:22
Love that I am not only one who has fragmented memory. Lol. Note pad pencil and pen. Technology has too much power over us and we need to put it on paper.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Alligator
02-10-2016, 00:02
ive been carrying a 3x5 spiral and miniature golf pencil since the 70's, but i'm sure there's an app for that now.Evernote .

TwoSpirits
07-26-2016, 08:31
Bumping this thread because I'm waffling on whether to pack -

a) a "weather-proof" pen, or
b) a pencil;
c) a regular small notepad, or
d) a waterproof notepad.

Are the "weather-proof" pens & paper worth it? Do you consider them necessary? What drawbacks do they have? Would a regular pencil write well on waterproof paper?

I know, I know -- trivial stuff. I'm just grateful to have such trivial things to think about.

Thanks.

Secondmouse
07-26-2016, 09:50
I want to carry a note pad, but I keep forgetting to bring it...

kayak karl
07-26-2016, 09:59
they sell the water proof 3x5 pads at home depot now.

Tipi Walter
07-26-2016, 10:16
I have a writing system to keep a trail journal on trips and it works well---

** Get 24 weight typing paper and fold into squares and write on both sides.
** Get the proper pen cartridge---Pilot Gel cartridges. You don't need the pen body, just the cartridge. Wrap with fabric bandaid to hold while writing.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2016-Trips-171/24-Days-in-the-Pisgah-Holyland/i-9TqJcMp/0/L/TRIP%20174%20187-L.jpg
My journal in action. The hair tie is to keep the pen inside the paper as I roll it together with a rubber band.

http://ancdn-a-e.shopletcdn.com/productimages/300x300/EJ1019246513.JPG
The secret to writing is having a good pen. These are the best---Pilot gel. I like bold in either blue or black.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2016-Trips-171/19-Days-in-a-Rattlesnake/i-jXhNZGM/0/L/Trip%20175%20361-L.jpg
Here's my journal rolled up with rubber band. Notice the hair tie keeping the pen cartridge inside.

On a normal 15 day trip I take 20 sheets of folded up typing paper, in two rolls of ten.

Leo L.
07-26-2016, 12:40
Thought about going a more modern route by using a smartphone app (ColorNote) for a diary, but during my most recent trips found having a paper diary much better.
Battery life is a constant worry and typing on the phone for 1/2hr every evening doesnt help it. Plus, I like the very personal look of my handwriting years later, refreshes all old memories when reading.

Be very careful if you have any modern (Silicone-)treated jacket. sweeping the paper with the sleeve of a treated jacket will stop the pen working on it.

Nodust
07-26-2016, 12:48
Bumping this thread because I'm waffling on whether to pack -

a) a "weather-proof" pen, or
b) a pencil;
c) a regular small notepad, or
d) a waterproof notepad.

Are the "weather-proof" pens & paper worth it? Do you consider them necessary? What drawbacks do they have? Would a regular pencil write well on waterproof paper?

I know, I know -- trivial stuff. I'm just grateful to have such trivial things to think about.

Thanks.
At work I use a Right in the Rain notebook. It's small and fits in shirt chest pocket. Use a regular ball point and works great all weather. Gel pens won't work on it. The right in the rain pens do work when wet but just a little better than ball points.

Started carrying one on hikes also. Just to make notes, I'll jot down emergency contact in it in case my phone dies. The ones I use are 28 or so pages about as big as a iphone 5

Engine
07-26-2016, 13:03
Talk to text note app on the phone.

TwoSpirits
07-26-2016, 13:06
Great information guys, all & each very helpful. Thank you.

colorado_rob
07-26-2016, 13:07
I'm a gram-weenie, so I just use the margins in AWOL for my notes, using a small golf-scoring pencil. I circle the spot where I camp, put a date, then fill in the nearby margins with notes about weather, people I meet, etc. Since AWOL is so vital and important on the trail, I take good care of it, never let it get wet, etc.

TwoSpirits
07-26-2016, 13:23
Yes -- I actually did that same thing on my [very brief] AT hike. It really is an efficient idea. Right now I'm not hiking the AT, so just wondering what works well for others.

Maydog
07-26-2016, 15:39
I've had a few of these and like them really well: https://store.moleskine.com/usa/en-us/notebooks/journals/cahier-journal/p7?ic=Y14keQ%3D%3D

bigcranky
07-26-2016, 16:28
We make lists while we're hiking, usually on paper since I still carry a paper journal. The lists are for specific things we need, but usually not food. When we're food shopping, we'll get a cart and start putting things in that we want, keeping in mind how many days/meals to the next resupply. I'll organize them in the cart by meal type, and also keep a running total in my head of the weight in ounces. I know we need about 30 ounces of food per person per day, so if I'm not in that ballpark I know I have too much (or too little) in the cart. Then I double check the list for small specific items like first aid supplies or hygiene items.

kombiguy
07-30-2016, 15:38
Moleskine notebook. I don't bring my real pen, a MontBlanc, I just use a cheap gel ink pen. The Moleskine is my daily journal, plus all the various notes and reminders become part of my memories of the trip.

Greenlight
07-30-2016, 15:57
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/394520/Rite-in-the-Rain-Tactical-Pocket/
http://www.theemsstore.com/store/product.aspx/productId/169/selectedVariationId/245/Fisher-Space-Pen-Bullet

With 20 years in the military, I can tell you that with this combo, you can literally write notes in the middle of a downpour with no protection from the elements. You'll gasp at the $20 price tag on the pen, but it is the best "go-to" writing instrument you'll ever purchase. You don't use it for everyday correspondence, but throw it as part of your hiking kit, along with the notebook, and you'll have no excuses for not writing down that thought, to-do list item, or map as you hike.

Best $25 I ever spent. Well, not really, but close!

Greenlight
07-30-2016, 16:02
I wear cargo pants when I hike, and the notebook goes in the cargo pocket. The pen goes in my right pocket. It literally takes me three seconds to take the combo from pockets to "ready to take note" mode. No excuses.

Rmcpeak
07-30-2016, 17:46
Absolutely! I'm a space cadet after a hike when I return to town. I did my first hike with a resupply a few weeks ago. I was a disaster in the store. Wandered around for an hour. A list is a must. Next time I'll make it when I'm clear headed, the night before I go into town. I use my completed AWOL pages (I print from PDF so the backs are blank) for notes and lists, etc.

Old Toad
07-31-2016, 08:20
Used Rite-in-Rains + #2 mechanical pencils during 11 field seasons in Alaska with never a problem.

Tipi Walter
07-31-2016, 08:57
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/394520/Rite-in-the-Rain-Tactical-Pocket/
http://www.theemsstore.com/store/product.aspx/productId/169/selectedVariationId/245/Fisher-Space-Pen-Bullet

With 20 years in the military, I can tell you that with this combo, you can literally write notes in the middle of a downpour with no protection from the elements. You'll gasp at the $20 price tag on the pen, but it is the best "go-to" writing instrument you'll ever purchase. You don't use it for everyday correspondence, but throw it as part of your hiking kit, along with the notebook, and you'll have no excuses for not writing down that thought, to-do list item, or map as you hike.

Best $25 I ever spent. Well, not really, but close!

I always take a Fisher space pen as a backup though I don't like writing with it much---not enough ink flows out of the tip. I take it out of its "bullet" and just use the cartridge.

And I would say military writing requirements in the field are much different than civilian. When it's nasty outside the last thing I'll be doing is penning some thoughts in my trip report. But then again I'm not writing down coordinates for an artillery strike or plotting out mortar fire.

English Stu
08-15-2016, 09:29
I too have spiral notebook for my journal. I also put resupply needs in it as soon as I think of them; it is easy to get to the store and forget something you needed -only to remember as soon as you set foot on the trail.

Another Kevin
08-15-2016, 13:15
+1 on Rite-in-the-Rain notebook and #2 pencil (or Space Pen, but the #2 pencil is a lot easier to replace). For a spare, I have a stub of #2 pencil that's just long enough to fit in the spiral of the notebook. The spiral protects the point on that one.

RangerZ
08-15-2016, 16:50
+1 on Rite-in-the-Rain notebook and #2 pencil (or Space Pen, but the #2 pencil is a lot easier to replace). For a spare, I have a stub of #2 pencil that's just long enough to fit in the spiral of the notebook. The spiral protects the point on that one.

Two pencils! Oh, the weight!

Rite in the rain + 0.5 mm mechanical pencil for me. (I do carry a cheap motel pen as a back up.)

Greenlight
08-15-2016, 16:58
https://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-All-Weather-Student-Notebook/dp/B00ZH85KDC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1471294545&sr=8-13&keywords=rite+in+rain
https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-400B-Space-Bullet-Pen/dp/B000WGD13U/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1471294605&sr=1-1&keywords=space+pen

You're welcome.

The ability to write upside down in any weather condition is priceless. The set will put you back about twenty bucks and they'll be at hour house in 2 days if you have Prime.