PDA

View Full Version : hike in May

flatgrounder
02-08-2016, 10:03
Just looking for info on weather in May in Georgia. I know this year has been quite a different weather pattern. At least here in Fl. Starting a week long shake down starting at Springer and going as far as we can in a week. Just wondering if a 32* sleeping bad good enough? Also what are the bug like that time of year.(tick season/mosquitoes)? The shakedown is mostly for feet and shoes. I wear Chacos only. Born with bad feet and chaos are the only shoes i can wear all day and walk the next day. I have done several 14 ml days carrying 15lbs. Flat Fl. Any comments good or bad appreciated.

FlyPaper
02-08-2016, 10:20
I think 32 degrees should be warm enough for May. The cool think about a one week hike is that you can double check the 10-day forecast before hitting the trail. Although that is far from perfect, you will at least know if an unusual arctic blast is coming through while you're on the trail.

Cotton Terry
02-08-2016, 10:30
Last year, I hiked the Approach Trail to Neel Gap the week before Memorial weekend. The temp's were mid-60's during the day and low 50's at night. I used a 40F bag with no issues. Mosquitoes were out, but didn't seem to be an issue. Some complained of gnats, but I didn't have a problem (I treated my clothes with Permethrin beforehand, though).

flatgrounder
02-08-2016, 13:04
thanks for the input!

HooKooDooKu
02-08-2016, 15:22
I use my 32º for hiking the Smokies in May. The only time I pull out the 20º is hiking in March, or upper elevations in April, October, November.
Climate data shows that typical night time lows at lower elevations in the South East (Birmingham, Atlanta, Knoxville, Chattanooga) is about 50º, with upper elevations (i.e. mountain tops in Great Smoky Mountains) average mid-40's.

daddytwosticks
02-08-2016, 17:02
Just bring along a light insulating layer and hat to supplement the sleeping bag and for around camp in the evening/morning. Spot on about checking the long range forecast before hitting the trail. :)