PDA

View Full Version : Communicating with wife while hiking the AT

billdetzner
02-08-2016, 17:27
I will be hiking the AT starting in March. What handset do most hikers use? What is the most common phone model?

elray
02-08-2016, 17:39
My wife and I made an attempt in 2014 and each carried a phone. Mine a Galaxy 4 and hers a plain Nokia flip, we left them turned off through the day and only turned them on for a short while to check for messages every few evenings. The batteries lasted forever using this method and for what it's worth her cheap Nokia connected almost twice as often as the smart phone. I don't pretend to know the technical reasons for this but there was no comparison between the connections she made versus mine. Good luck with your hike!

Venchka
02-08-2016, 18:02
THE CARRIER IS THE OTHER PART OF THE PUZZLE.
Verizon works when others won't.

Wayne

Busky2
02-08-2016, 18:33
I switch to a lesser carrier so I had an excuse to not call home. Sorry no bars here. Ahhh... the solitude of the woods priceless.

Christoph
02-08-2016, 18:37
I had Verizon and a Droid Maxx with external 10k battery. That was a pretty decent setup but definitely get something durable for a smartphone (a case).

rafe
02-08-2016, 21:33
There is no standard model. Apple or Android, same diff. The carrier and technology makes a big difference. Be aware that coverage can be spotty, often doesn't work in the gaps and notches and so on (where the shelters are.) I've used a few different Verizon phones over the years. My wife understands that there might be gaps in coverage for a day, maybe two.

Slo-go'en
02-08-2016, 22:25
You could try shouting real loud, like usual :)

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

hubcap
02-09-2016, 07:55
You could try shouting real loud, like usual :)

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

it's always scary when I do this on a mountain top and hear her answer me.....

Don H
02-09-2016, 09:19
I was able to get a text out almost every day on Verizon. I don't think the phone make matters but a separate battery pack or a spare replaceable battery is a good idea.

I always kept my phone off until I needed it to text or call. Others kept their phones on all the time and also used them as their camera. That would require more battery capacity.

rafe
02-09-2016, 09:30
I always kept my phone off until I needed it to text or call. Others kept their phones on all the time and also used them as their camera. That would require more battery capacity.

You can keep a smartphone on in "airplane mode" and continue to use the camera. Mine will last about 3 days on a single charge in that mode.

JaketheFake
02-09-2016, 11:50
I hope my wife does not read this!!! I told her Verizon coverage on the east coast is horrible!! Lol.

John B
02-09-2016, 11:59
I sent a postcard or letter when I went through towns or stayed at a hostel.

Leo L.
02-09-2016, 12:14
...her cheap Nokia connected almost twice as often as the smart phone. I don't pretend to know the technical reasons...
Same here, many times the plein old Nokia connected just fine, but the smartphone took forever trying but finally just refused to connect.
Texting was even better with the Nokia than phoning.

Mudsock
02-09-2016, 12:27
My wife enjoyed the tracking capability of the Delorme In Reach. She felt that she shared in my hike somewhat. Text messages to and from the In Reach were always successfully received. If satellite communication was not immediately possible, the device would keep checking and transmit when possible. If you are moving, you won't be out of communication for long. There are three user fixed messages that can be transmitted as often as desired without additional fees. I would expect the In Reach to be more reliable than any cell phone. UHF communications are always line of sight. The height of the receiving and transmitting antennas are critical factors in uneven terrain. Text messages to and from the In Reach can be made using email, text messaging from a phone, or using another In Reach. Two hikers using In Reach on each end would likely always have reliable communications, if they manage a clear view of the sky once in a while.

My Iphone was kept in airplane mode most of the time. It was used for calls at times, for text and for sending pictures - as well as for the Guthook trail app. AT&T has been my carrier. It worked well on my section hike at least part of the day, every day. There are likely multi-day portions of the trail where AT&T coverage is very poor. I didn't try to use it often. The battery lasted several days. When caught at a shelter in a severe thunderstorm, the cell phone had no bars. I was able to request and receive an updated forecast from my wife, using the In Reach. I let the In Reach sit on the rail under the shelter roof for a few minutes until it had completed communications. The In Reach is a somewhat multipurpose device. The battery lasts several days.

Old Hiker
02-09-2016, 12:32
it's always scary when I do this on a mountain top and hear her answer me.....

Don't listen to the voices...........voices...................voices

Had ATT in 2012 - NO, repeat NO bars while standing next to someone with Verizon, chatting away.

Now have Verizon - Galaxy 5. Turned off except for check in at night for a few minutes.

Works for us.

Adriana
02-09-2016, 16:58
I hope my wife does not read this!!! I told her Verizon coverage on the east coast is horrible!! Lol.
I'm with you Jake the Fake, Just 15 miles south of Amicalola Verizon is worthless.

rafe
02-09-2016, 17:03
Also Verizon doesn't work near Great Barrington MA, for some reason.

Don H
02-09-2016, 20:30
I found that generally if I was down in a gap I might not have service but almost always did up on a ridge.

ocourse
02-09-2016, 20:58
I will be hiking the AT starting in March. What handset do most hikers use? What is the most common phone model?

From what I've read and experienced, Verizon seems to do very well. Text works lots of times when phone calls won't. I use an external battery that is also a flashlight. I like Maprika for Android. It can send your location along the trail to any recipient. So if service is minimal, you can often send that spot on the map to someone tracking your progress.

Kaptainkriz
02-09-2016, 21:30
At the top of Mount Washington in 2015 i could get text and limited voice on my wife's Verizon iPhone but no data to check the summit webcam. My work AT&T rocked with solid data.

LittleRock
02-10-2016, 09:16
Taken on a mountaintop on the AT in SW VA:

buoyantbeans
02-10-2016, 16:12
With Sprint, I had really spotty coverage, but I was able to get on WIFI in towns and hostels. With my iPhone, Facetime worked great when I could not get a signal.

Smithwick
02-11-2016, 09:23
What ever phone you choose, consider a waterproof case. Also, there are lots of phone apps that will send your exact GPS location to friends with one click.

I tracked my wife's entire thru hike in 2011 using an app called Followme. Here is a link to the web site I created based on the data. [Yes, I am a computer geek, but I did hike 500 miles of the AT in 2013]

Smithwick
02-11-2016, 09:27
Link to the page I created: http://smithwick.biz/Scribbles.html

colorado_rob
02-11-2016, 10:07
since you asked, it seems like the most common phone out there is the Apple Iphone.

I carried an older Motorola Android with 3 extra batteries, and I tried to text my wife every evening, was successful probably 85% of the nights. The next morning, I'd receive a nice text from her. We'd actually talk a couple times a week. I use Verizon. I use a simple ziplock to protect my phone, and can even found I could use it in the rain while still zipped up in the baggie. I also read on my phone (Kindle app) at least an hour every night, hence the need for the extra batteries. The phone was also my camera for about half of my AT hike. Amazing do-all devices.