PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions

billdetzner
02-08-2016, 20:34
I have two questions: 1) How do I get to Springer Mountain? 2) How can I get a list of post offices/hostels where I can get mail/parcels delivered to me?

Lone Wolf
02-08-2016, 20:40
it's all in here if you research it

Venchka
02-08-2016, 22:02
The WhiteBlaze home page has a section with detailed information on the whole trail. Shuttles, resupply, mail drops, 15 miles per day schedule, hostels, etc.
The first day I visited WhiteBlaze I found this information. I was able to put together a 2 month trip from Springer to US Hwy 19 E that day.
Do your homework.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Slo-go'en
02-08-2016, 22:23
One answer to all your questions: Buy a guide book! AWOL or the ATC companion.

The Cleaner
02-08-2016, 23:06
I see that you're from Miami.You'd better pack some warm clothes.Even in May and June the temps can get into the 40s at night.Once I arrived at Carver's Gap near Roan Mtn. and it was 55* and windy on 6-10.I had to put on my camp pants till I warmed up a bit while hiking.Maps don't tell you much about weather,you gotta figure that out yourself.

MuddyWaters
02-09-2016, 01:03
I have two questions: 1) How do I get to Springer Mountain? 2) How can I get a list of post offices/hostels where I can get mail/parcels delivered to me?

To get to springer, you will need someone to drive you. A shuttle provider works.

Get a guide, and figure out where u want to mail stuff. Baltimore Jack has a resupp!y list sticky here somewheres too.

4eyedbuzzard
02-09-2016, 01:24
Buy AWOLS guide or the ALDHA Companion. All we be revealed. Money well spent. You'll need a trail guide anyway. You can google search your questions as well.

For example, if you want to search getting to springer on Whiteblaze.net use the search string, site:whiteblaze.net getting to springer

Also visit and search the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's website

Don H
02-09-2016, 07:47
The ATC has shuttle information on their website along with a lot of other useful information.
You can find the shuttle information here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/at-shuttlesf9e1dd6668ce6efcb07bff000057c13a.pdf?sfvrs n=0

Also AWOL's guide is a great resource and it can be found here: http://www.theatguide.com

PS. Don't pay any mind to Lone Wolf, he's a grouchy old hiker ;)

Venchka
02-09-2016, 09:11
I'll make it easy. Thanks to snipping tool. The left panel below my ID. Start clicking. It's all free.
Seriously, coming from Miami there are questions that you haven't even thought of. Like how to stay warm and dry during a multi-day rain event when the temperature never rises above 50 degrees. then there are the interminable elevation gains. While it is raining. For days. They don't call it the North Carolina Rain Forest for nothing.
A useful link for mountain weather. Ray has an app for that too.
http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone
This is just a jump start. The rest is up to you.

Have fun!

Wayne