PDA

View Full Version : Lighters

DebW
01-26-2003, 10:31
What kind of lighters do people carry for lighting their stoves? I find the new Bics with the safety feature really hard to use. Sometimes I can get them to light, and sometimes I can't. My thumb just won't twirl that wheel fast enough. Makes me feel really incompetent. Recently found a new type of lighter marketed for lighting candles. A post pulls out about 2 inches to put the flame further from your fingers, and there is no wheel to twirl. It's also refillable, but weighs 1.4 oz, twice the Bics. Of course there's always matches too.

SGT Rock
01-26-2003, 11:58
Cheap bic types are everywhere and I'm pretty sure mine don't have those thumb wheels. I also hate those drunk-proff thumb safety on the back of the gas valve, but those you can just rip off.

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2003, 19:06
A Zippo. Yeah, it's heavy. But it never fails, and it's windproof.

Footslogger
01-27-2003, 19:46
Lighters are not the best way to get an alcohol stove going. Matches have always served me well.

brown bess
01-28-2003, 23:47
deb--stick a nail or small thin metal object under that wheel gaurd and you can pop it out of there--wiggle it a few times and it breaks right off. now you have a bic to flick!!

oh yeah, bic also makes a model for lighting fireplaces or b-b-q's, but it weighs a bit more.

brown bess

MOWGLI
01-29-2003, 09:31
I used a small bic that worked fine. Be sure to get one of a color that allows you to see the butane level inside the lighter. Dark blue and other dark colors don't let you see how much butane is left..

Peaks
01-29-2003, 17:17
When used just to light a stove, the flint wears out before the fluid is gone.

Footslogger
01-29-2003, 17:28
Well ...I guess that's why I stick with matches.

Peaks
01-30-2003, 09:24
Originally posted by Footslogger
Well ...I guess that's why I stick with matches.

I found a lighter to be much more dependable than matches. I have ditched my stash of matches in favor of a backup lighter.

illininagel
01-30-2003, 23:06
For some reason, I never even thought of using a lighter. I've used matches all my life. And, they can tend to be somewhat frustrating in damp, windy conditions. I'm definitely going to try the lighter then next time out!

2Questions
02-08-2003, 20:09
Check out www.getlit.com for a great lighter. .3 oz. and holds allot of fuel. extendable lighting shaft. I put small piece of self-stick stair tread on each side for better grip with gloves on. Called the candle lighter,several colors as well as other styles.

DebW
02-08-2003, 21:15
Originally posted by 2Questions
Check out www.getlit.com for a great lighter. .3 oz. and holds allot of fuel. extendable lighting shaft. I put small piece of self-stick stair tread on each side for better grip with gloves on. Called the candle lighter,several colors as well as other styles.

Yeah, that's the new one I got. It's 1.3 oz though. The flame extender will make it easier to light a stove without singeing the nuckles.

2Questions
02-08-2003, 22:33
still 1.3oz. makes me happy. Used it tonight to light off my alcohol stove and make a cup of coffee to view the posts.

RagingHampster
02-09-2003, 07:32
I have a Djeep lighter. Looks like a plastic Zippo. Zippos are heavy and if water leaks into the inner wall it can screw it up. Djeep lighters are pretty much like Bics, but jumbo size ones. I pry out the safety botton with my knife.