PDA

View Full Version : Easiest to make/most reliable alcohol stove?

DrewNC2005
12-17-2005, 10:03
What is the easiest to make yet most reliable (proven in cold, wet, and windy conditions) alcohol stove? I have seen a lot of posts on stoves and this is the question I'm left with. I've never made a stove before but would like to try.

Thanks

Deb
12-17-2005, 11:11
You will receive a lot of opinions on this, but you did say easiest to make and most reliable. For me that is the cat can stove. You will need two cat food cans, a can opener and a small amount of insulation.
No pot stand necessary, the pot rests on top.
You can make one in a few minutes, lights every time.
Instructions at: royrobinson.homestead.com

betic4lyf
12-17-2005, 14:29
this si just idaea, but m,aybe the o\bottoms of two cans, tops cur off maybe an inch or two from the top, maybe half an inch on the other. put fiber fglass int he biottom in one, squeeze the bottom of the other can into it. probably gives good insulation from the ground. probably no very efficient though

DrewNC2005
12-17-2005, 15:44
Alright - I just made a pepsi can stove. Not too hard. Is it normal to have flames come up the side of the pot every now and again? Also, what is the best way to make a pot stand (mine is not a side burner)? How long should it take to boil water (outside)?

mbroadhe
12-17-2005, 16:43
I used this method....(for the stand, not the stove)
http://www.permapak.net/backpackstove.htm
Works great and stove, stand, windscreen and spoon all fit into one pot.

DebW
12-17-2005, 17:40
3 oz tuna can with fiberglass around the inside edge.

MtnTopThinker
12-17-2005, 21:37
Here is the most simple stove that I have come across--the Cat Stove. It works great. I made mine from a tuna can.

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

Tinker
12-18-2005, 02:39
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

Or, what he said.

Great little stove.:banana

Spirit Walker
12-18-2005, 12:49
Which is the best stove if cooking for two? We currently use a fosters can stove - holds more fuel - but it isn't all that efficient. I usually have to refill along the way in order to cook a double pasta dinner.

Deb
12-18-2005, 15:42
Thanks for the link to the Super Cat stove. I made a few using a regular paper hole punch instead of a drill. This eliminated all rough edges on the vents.
It's a great design and simplicity itself.
The website also includes some useful information about variables: just a small difference in the number or size of holes can make a big difference in no flame, yellow flame (inefficient) and blue flame.
I've avoided the really tiny stoves made from V8 or Red Bull cans because I considered them too unstable. I always use a rock surface and sometimes it's hard to find a flat one. Now I have a small pot that fits perfectly on the Super Cat and I don't think it will be an issue.

Tha Wookie
12-18-2005, 16:42
Alright - I just made a pepsi can stove. Not too hard. Is it normal to have flames come up the side of the pot every now and again? [Yes, normal, but if it happens too much it could become a hassle. then you can make a taller stand or open or tighten the wind cover (aluminum foil foled over three times, bent in circle)] Also, what is the best way to make a pot stand (mine is not a side burner)? [go to hardware store, buy 1/4 inch hardware cloth. Cut in rectangular strip, about 4-5 inches high. Then curl in a circle, use pliers to connect ends of "cloth" together. put around your stove, then set pot on top. Make it so it fits in your pot to carry -Easy] how long should it take to boil water (outside)?[depends on temperature and altitude. I would say about 5-6 minutes for 2 cups.

have fun.:D

Peaks
12-18-2005, 17:12
Which is the best stove if cooking for two? We currently use a fosters can stove - holds more fuel - but it isn't all that efficient. I usually have to refill along the way in order to cook a double pasta dinner.

When cooking for two, I use a white gas stove. Alcohol seems to work just fine when cooking for one, but when cooking for two there is additional water to heat, and that takes time.

Aside from that, my vote for easiest alcohol stove to make is the Cat stove.