PDA

View Full Version : Special on PBS tonight about the AT

Speer Carrier
12-17-2005, 10:48
For the folks in Georgia, or those who can access PBS stations in Georgia, there will be a two hour special on the AT to night at 9:00 PM, on WPBA.

From the advanced information, it looks like it might have been produced by the local PBS station, and probably spends a lot of time on the Georgia portion (just a guess on my part), but the TV listing mentions that in part two (10:00-11:00) it does follow people who are completing the hike.

Spirit Walker
12-17-2005, 11:16
It could be Appalachian Impressions - some of the PBS stations carried that. (Not ours unfortunately - 3 PBS stations in the area, and none showed the film).

Cuffs
12-17-2005, 13:49
For the folks in Georgia, or those who can access PBS stations in Georgia, there will be a two hour special on the AT to night at 9:00 PM, on WPBA.

From the advanced information, it looks like it might have been produced by the local PBS station, and probably spends a lot of time on the Georgia portion (just a guess on my part), but the TV listing mentions that in part two (10:00-11:00) it does follow people who are completing the hike.

What are the odd of someone (you) taping the show for me? I could send you a blank cassette or dvd in return and cover shipping costs?!

You just might be getting into the video business!:D

Mouse
12-17-2005, 14:09
Many PBS stations sell tapes of their programs. Finding the station's website might lead to ordering information.

Rain Man
12-17-2005, 14:34
The website plainly says it's "Appalachian Impressions" at 9:00 and 10:00.

http://wpba.org/tv/

Rain:sunMan

Cuffs
12-17-2005, 14:45
Many PBS stations sell tapes of their programs. Finding the station's website might lead to ordering information.

I found the program on the Atlanta channel, but nothing for ordering... :confused:

Checked my local (Birmingham & Huntsville) channels and its not even being broadcast here... :confused::confused:

Oh well...

Mouse
12-17-2005, 15:15
http://hiking-news.hikemore.com/hiking-documentary/appalachian-impressions.html

http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=462&compid=1

Cuffs
12-17-2005, 15:47
http://hiking-news.hikemore.com/hiking-documentary/appalachian-impressions.html

http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=462&compid=1

Awesome! Thanks!!:clap:banana

Jody7818
12-18-2005, 10:31
You can also order the tape on www.flaglerfilms.com It seems to come on PBS every now and then. I believe that's the 3rd time I've seen it.

Jaybird
12-18-2005, 10:46
For the folks in Georgia, or those who can access PBS stations in Georgia, there will be a two hour special on the AT to night at 9:00 PM, on WPBA.From the advanced information, it looks like it might have been produced by the local PBS station, and probably spends a lot of time on the Georgia portion (just a guess on my part), but the TV listing mentions that in part two (10:00-11:00) it does follow people who are completing the hike.

whether u see "APPALACHIAN IMPRESSIONS" on PBS or view your own DVD copy...its a very nicely done...DVD, complete with "professional narrator".
(Flagler shoulda called me!) :D

I've watched the movie several times (my own copy)....ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
it takes me back to the mountain tops.

Enjoy!

lobster
12-18-2005, 13:10
How does it compare with:

Trek
Walking with Freedom
5 Million Steps

Almost There
12-19-2005, 16:23
I personally like it better than those three, although Trek to me is a close second, for me Walking with Freedom give a nice taste of the trail but the others seem more in depth, with App Impressions being more informational. Great for those looking to start or those who have just started. It's two hours and split by state. It's on two DVDs I like the music in it, and the scenery is great as well. Very good mix of trails and towns. All three are great, but different. 5 million steps isn't as good as any of them. BTW I own all of them!

lobster
12-19-2005, 21:56
That "hikers rock" comment by the little girl was great. Also, that hiker doing that pack flip was cool.

By the way, whose butt was that at Billville?

The piano tune in 5 Million Steps was beautiful music. It was playing as the guy who was in Alcoholics Anonymous was walking over that peak.

I'll have to watch that 5 Million Steps tonight and see how I think it fares in comparison to Trek.

Is Appalachian Impressions worth seeing for an ex-thruhiker or is just a lot of informational stuff that does not get to what a long hike is like?

Jester2000
12-21-2005, 05:56
That butt, the first of many, belonged to a man who will remain Bag o' Trix. I wouldn't come right out with it like that, but he's strangely proud about the whole thing.

Lion King
12-21-2005, 16:09
That butt, the first of many, belonged to a man who will remain Bag o' Trix. I wouldn't come right out with it like that, but he's strangely proud about the whole thing.

Man, I had been keeping that quiet for a year and a half!

The ass is out of the bag now!

Cuffs
12-21-2005, 16:14
For those who arent in GA, but in AL, I have spoken with the local PBS folks (several times) and they are looking at broadcasting it in Feb or Mar if they can.

From reading all the comments, this may be worth the buy instead of waiting for it to air...

One Leg
12-23-2005, 01:02
A friend sent me a copy of Appalachian Impressions (Flagler Films), and it is absolutely the best trail video I've had the opportunity to see. You can order a copy from Flagler Films. Definately worth the trouble of getting, you'll love it.

And, if you do get it, check out the "out takes"....The snakes "making out" are absolutely hilarious..(Why is it that I'm the first person to point this out? Am I truly perverted?)

Youngblood
12-23-2005, 10:17
... (Why is it that I'm the first person to point this out? Am I truly perverted?)
It is only perverted if someone catches you doing it or catches you enjoying watching it. If you are stealthy enough, nobody knows... it is like stealth camping.:rolleyes: Well, sort of.

mbroadhe
12-27-2005, 01:32
To those looking to catch this on PBS: contact the programming department of your local station and ask when or if they are going to air it. That's what I did, and found they are, but it won't be until Feb. 26th. So, those of you in the Lehigh Valley Area with WLVT 39, that's the date and the times are 2 pm for part one and 3 pm for part two.
Another good PBS program to check out is "Alone in the Wilderness". It's about a man who moved to Alaska, built his own cabin with hand tools, and continued to live off the earth for 30 years all the while chronicalling it with a wind up camera and journal. Quite impressive.

smokymtnsteve
12-27-2005, 01:36
And, if you do get it, check out the "out takes"....The snakes "making out" are absolutely hilarious..(Why is it that I'm the first person to point this out? Am I truly perverted?)

it's only preverted the first time U try it. ;)

or is that ole saying it's only kinky the first time U do it. :D

something like that

now were sure why your wife is turning off your internet.