PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding trekking pole rubber tips

Bubblehead
02-10-2016, 17:14
I have a pair of Black Diamond Distance z-Poles....I will be taking them on my hike from Springer to HF in April. I am new to using trekking poles. My question is how long do the rubber tips normally last on the poles? should I take an extra pair or two of the rubber tips, or should they last the entire hike (1022miles)? Thanks....

TNhiker
02-10-2016, 17:22
it all really depends upon conditions of the ground, how you use them, and how hard you poke with them........

i really doubt a pair of tips will last over 1000 miles, but maybe....

in the smokies, its common to find tips on the ground on the more traveled trails.......

i tend to pick them up and put them on my poles, but ive never had tips last very long.....

Ashepabst
02-10-2016, 17:37
it's been my experience that they'll get snagged by rocks and mud and junk, sometimes without you even noticing. except for maybe asphalt walking --what are these things for anyway?

bemental
02-10-2016, 18:04
I do believe the rubber tips are designed to protect the tips of your trekking poles when being used on particularly hard surfaces (asphalt, concrete, etc.) and are meant more for on road use, then off road.

Some people like using trekking poles when doing general-purpose walking on flat, paved surfaces. I personally use my poles primarily for the ups, downs, and particularly rocky areas.

bemental
02-10-2016, 18:06
I do believe the rubber tips are designed to protect the tips of your trekking poles when being used on particularly hard surfaces (asphalt, concrete, etc.) and are meant more for on road use, then off road.

Some people like using trekking poles when doing general-purpose walking on flat, paved surfaces. I personally use my poles primarily for the ups, downs, and particularly rocky areas.

My suggestion would be to take the rubbers off your poles when in the back country so the pointy end of the stick can get some purchase in the dirt, putting the rubbers back on if you're going to continue using them on the hard road-like surfaces (instead of just carrying them on flat ground).

*accidentally quoted my previous post instead of editing it*

peakbagger
02-10-2016, 18:09
I find the darn things frequently when hiking. They tend to get stuck on rocks and pull off. That's why the poles have carbides on them. I have worn through several sets of carbides. Most folks carry their poles when it flat unlike "urban walkers".

dervari
02-10-2016, 19:58
I look at them as more tip protectors when in storage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Traveler
02-11-2016, 06:24
I have a pair of Black Diamond Distance z-Poles....I will be taking them on my hike from Springer to HF in April. I am new to using trekking poles. My question is how long do the rubber tips normally last on the poles? should I take an extra pair or two of the rubber tips, or should they last the entire hike (1022miles)? Thanks....

I use rubber tips a lot for a number of reasons. Leaf spearing tends to build up on tips in the fall through mid spring, which is annoying. Using tips tends to be less damaging to the sides of the treadway and on wood bridge decks, with an added benefit of quieting the poles that helps if you are looking for wildlife along the way. I take them off when the terrain is steep and slippery and on rocks where the carbide tips get a better purchase. Rubber tips on my poles last about 800 to 1,000 miles depending where I am using them.

Rubber tips can come off some poles easier than others when plunged into mud or wedged in rock snags. My hiking buddy drilled small holes through the rubber tips and pole tips, using safety wire to secure them, allowing removal when he needs the carbide tips.

Offshore
02-11-2016, 09:20

Just to clarify for other responders - the BD folding Z-pole rubber tips are not like the slip on rubber tips that cover the semi-permanent carbide tips on the telescoping flick lock BD poles. The Z-pole rubber tips are much smaller and are installed in place of, rather than over the carbide tips. I have a couple of pair of Z-poles and the rubber tips were installed on both the carbon fiber and aluminum models. Carbide tips were also included, but replacing/switching tips on Z-poles is like changing out the carbide tips on the telescoping flick lock poles. Not hard, but not as easy as sticking on a rubber cover.

Traveler
02-11-2016, 09:57
Just to clarify for other responders - the BD folding Z-pole rubber tips are not like the slip on rubber tips that cover the semi-permanent carbide tips on the telescoping flick lock BD poles. The Z-pole rubber tips are much smaller and are installed in place of, rather than over the carbide tips. I have a couple of pair of Z-poles and the rubber tips were installed on both the carbon fiber and aluminum models. Carbide tips were also included, but replacing/switching tips on Z-poles is like changing out the carbide tips on the telescoping flick lock poles. Not hard, but not as easy as sticking on a rubber cover.

Thanks for that clarification, I didn't know that.

iio
02-12-2016, 19:51
I mistakenly bought the replacement tips (1 set carbide & 1 set rubber) for the Black Diamond Z-poles. If any would like them, they are yours for free!
PM me an address and I'll mail'em to you.

sliverstorm
02-12-2016, 20:07
I chewed through the Z-pole rubber tips in no time flat, and switched to the carbide tips which were included with the poles, buried in the mesh bag the poles came in. Haven't regretted it.

iio
02-12-2016, 20:12
I mistakenly bought the replacement tips (1 set carbide & 1 set rubber) for the Black Diamond Z-poles. If any would like them, they are yours for free!
PM me an address and I'll mail'em to you.

Tips are taken...

Christoph
02-13-2016, 18:44
I started with them on and quickly (like the 1st day or 2) found one had come off. I felt bad due to 'littering', so I took the other off and tossed it in the trash. They worked a lot better for me at that point. They were nubs and completely worn down by the time I hit Daleville tho.

Sandy of PA
02-14-2016, 11:49
I asked the Diamond guy at Trail Days and he said 100 miles, for long distance use the carbide.