PDA

View Full Version : Challenges of the Appalachian Trail

methodman
02-10-2016, 19:42
What are some of the "challenges" of thru hiking the A.T. I have heard of the Dirty 30 and the 4 State Challenge. I would love to hear a bunch more!

Slo-go'en
02-10-2016, 20:03
The only challenge is finishing it.

methodman
02-10-2016, 20:06
I agree, but I am looking for some of the other challenges as a different type of entertainment.

methodman
02-10-2016, 20:07
before finishing.

Uriah
02-10-2016, 20:14
What are some of the "challenges" of thru hiking the A.T. I have heard of the Dirty 30 and the 4 State Challenge. I would love to hear a bunch more!

There's the half-gallon challenge, which in turn challenges your digestive tract.

ALLEGHENY
02-10-2016, 20:16
Convincing your parents it's safe.

Lone Wolf
02-10-2016, 20:17

not getting bored with it

lunajo12
02-10-2016, 20:18
I've heard about trying to finish Maryland in one day. 41 miles. I may give it a shot when I make it up there.

tdoczi
02-10-2016, 20:18
the dirty thirty?

i read one on here once called the duncannon 24. dont know if thats a thing or just one person's idea though.

i dont know if anyone ever tries it, but you could attempt a 1 day presi traverse maybe, though doing so strictly on the AT might render it near to impossible.

tdoczi
02-10-2016, 20:19
I've heard about trying to finish Maryland in one day. 41 miles. I may give it a shot when I make it up there.

that and the 4 state challenge are, more or less, the same thing.

ok, now someone please dont tell me how they are actually different, thats what "more or less" means.

methodman
02-10-2016, 20:26
I heard that means you don't wash or bathe for 30 days.

Lone Wolf
02-10-2016, 20:28
i did watauga shelter to damascus just under 12 hours, 39 miles full pack. beat that

Lone Wolf
02-10-2016, 20:29

easy if you're through hikin'

Malto
02-10-2016, 20:47
While I have done the four state challenge twice in under 48 hours, I would never recommend doing this on a thru. While you are hiking via spreadsheet it looks like a great idea, but an overuse injury while thruhiking is not worth it especially if you aren't doing consistent 30 mile days prior to Maryland.

here's a challenge for you. Finish GA without quitting, then TN and NC. Then comes the tough one, VA and if you are still on a roll, make it to Harpers Ferry without quitting. Considering the vast majority of hikers quit, just making it to the end will put you in the top 30% without having to resort to additional challenges.

having said all of that..... I believe CT in a day would be interesting and very doable.

4eyedbuzzard
02-10-2016, 20:50
not getting bored with it

The only challenge is finishing it.

I agree, but I am looking for some of the other challenges as a different type of entertainment.

Finding "entertainment/challenges" to keep up your interest, or to serve as a distraction, is in itself a big challenge for many of us. You are basically going to be doing the exact same thing for some 150 +/- days straight. The scenery and weather changes. And sometimes you meet some interesting people, which can really help. But it's often just dealing with rain and cold and mud, or hot and humid and bugs, or boredom, with competing off-trail interests pulling at you, and questioning why you are doing this. Honestly, those are much, much tougher than any of the physical challenges you can "manufacture" in your mind. At times it's just a grind, and for many it stops being enjoyable.

For this reason, it can really help to always just have a readily achievable daily challenge or goal. It could be a summit, a waterfall, a town, a better than normal trail meal, etc. During the day, the short term challenge is getting up the next hill, making camp before the storm hits, getting to town before dark, etc. Keep it simple. And just keep walking.