PDA

View Full Version : overthinking

snicklefitz
02-10-2016, 20:40
So I was watching my bazillionth video about food load outs, gear load outs, best places to mail drop, I'm over the paralysis by analysis, I'm just going to commit to go and enjoy the hack out of the chance to disconnect from the day race and have an adventure! Everyone can feel free to leave any comments with your own overanalysis below.

Have fun this year & HYOH :-)
Snick

4eyedbuzzard
02-10-2016, 20:56
But, one must analyze their analysis so as not to under-analyze their over-analysis, true? :D
Have a great hike!

snicklefitz
02-10-2016, 21:16
love that, I'm thinking of taking a class in theoretical theory, when I'm done

Dogwood
02-10-2016, 21:26
But, one must analyze their analysis so as not to under-analyze their over-analysis, true? :D

Welcome to NFL(soap opera for males), Political News coverage, and weather commentary. Mind numbing. TMI.

squeezebox
02-10-2016, 21:45
What?? I was thinking about something else.

bemental
02-11-2016, 09:07
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

Donald Rumsfeld

Brewguy
02-11-2016, 09:43
But.... What if you take the wrong spork??

Seriously though, there is a certain value to planning. Have you tested your load for a couple days?

Traveler
02-11-2016, 09:53
Have a great hike!

Quite true! Any analyst advises anyone to analyze analysis avoiding under-analyzation of analysis assuring over-analysis anomalies are analyzed.

Lyle
02-11-2016, 10:00
The only thing you really need to know in regard to gear selection and food planning:

1) Virtually ANY set of gear that is sold today as moderately serious gear, will be better and lighter than the best gear sold, and successfully used, 15 to 20 years ago. It may not be as bomb-proof, but will be wholly adequate to get you to the end of your thru hike. Notice I said "moderately serious" gear, this eliminates most of the bottom of the barrel Walmart junk. In other words, you can't really go too far "wrong" with anything sold by a reputable seller.

2) Only food planning that needs to be done on the AT is to buy and carry enough food to get you to the next town stop. Usually this means 3-5 days worth - hardly a long enough stretch to get you into serious trouble.

My point: RELAX, you aren't really going into the wilderness, you may hit some back country for a while, but exits are quite easy and frequent. Make sure you have enough of SOMETHING to keep you warm and dry, enough food to keep you reasonably comfortable, then go out there and enjoy!

Grampie
02-11-2016, 11:23
The more ties to the off trail world you can cut, the better off you will be. When the reality of doing a thru-hike sets in, that you might be on the list of the 80% failure rate. Try to keep on the 20% success rate.
I offer the following advise: #1 Have enough time. Set aside 6 months of your life to hike. #2 Have enough funds to let you live these 6 months. #3 You are the number one priority in your life. Don't let others, on or off the trail, influence what you will be doing. Remember, "Hike you'r own hike."
Hope you have "Happy trails."

Busky2
02-11-2016, 14:42
I went back and forth thinking over the subject line and even if I wanted to look into the topic and responses and then determined that I just don't think much about over analyzing and said to myself, I think I'll just pass on this one.

QiWiz
02-11-2016, 15:42
"You don't need what you don't have" - Ray Jardine

snicklefitz
02-11-2016, 17:15
Even through the veils of disconnection there is still solid advice here. My biggest hope is I get to meet people of your similar ilks, smart funny, and committed to the journey

Thank you

Snick

Another Kevin
02-11-2016, 18:00
Of course I overthink everything. I'm an engineer. It's what I do. And I had a Transylvanian-American neighbor when I was a kid who would call me "Professor Schnicklfritz" when she caught me doing a particularly egregious piece of overthinking, so I like your screen name. :)

But I've learnt through a great many weekend trips that, even though I often agonize the night before (can't help myself!), I wind up going and having a great time anyway. Hope you do the same! (I'm a clueless weekender, not a long-distance hiker, so have no advice to offer about the long haul.)

FlyFishNut
02-11-2016, 19:30
I tend to not "overthink", but instead "overpack". (I'm a sales guy - so pouring over lists and doing repacks are out of the question). I hone my skills by taking short trips and evaluating what worked, what I didn't use and what I wished I'd had. Plus I have a strong back for those times that I pack too much.

Christoph
02-11-2016, 20:30
A bit of planning will definitely, help out in the sense that you'll find tons of info on what works and doesn't. You can only plan so much though before going loony. I'd be willing to bet, every long distance (or maybe even weekend) hikers tweak their gear and food rations on the fly. This game is definitely "think on your feet" one. Try not to overthink and go have fun and enjoy.

TexasBob
02-11-2016, 20:34
"You don't need what you don't have" - Ray Jardine

Is needing and not having the same as not needing and not having or am I overthinking this?

snicklefitz
02-12-2016, 01:14
You are all killin me! Betwixt and between the notions of "huh, that's a great thought" I'm laughing so much. I think that's the best tonic (in an old timey sense)

Snick

rocketsocks
02-12-2016, 06:21
Sometimes I wish I didn't know now what I didn't no then...ya know?

Marta
02-12-2016, 09:48
An under-appreciated possibility of an AT hike is that you can change your clothing, your gear, your food, your direction, and much, much more once you are underway.

That lovely shirt I put so much thought into choosing before the start...chafed my armpits raw. So at the first town stop I bought another one. I've met people who replaced packs and tents and everything else along the way.

My epiphany came years ago when I was a young would-be yogista. Ten minutes practicing poses got me further than hours of reading about them.

Just do it, as the saying goes. But save up some money first...

snicklefitz
02-12-2016, 23:21
I've got about 5k for the trip. That's after all gear, and about 6 mail drops with 5 days good in each. I hope it's enough

Marta
02-13-2016, 23:59
I've got about 5k for the trip. That's after all gear, and about 6 mail drops with 5 days good in each. I hope it's enough

If you're a habitual over thinker, it probably won't take you by surprise to learn that endless glasses of beer and parties with the gang will chew through $5k in no time. But the act of hiking itself is quite cheap. I'm sure you'll be fine. Have a great hike!

turtle fast
02-14-2016, 00:15
Like many here have said, once you get a week or two in on the trail you realize what you do and don't need. If NOBO, once at Mountain Crossings if your still debating your gear stop in and have then do a gear shakedown. You always learn something new on what you need and don't really need. Resupply points in town as well are normally just a few days away from each other and having some extra meals on hand in your pack will give you a cushion in case it takes you a day longer than anticipated or if you get extra hungry (remember your "hiker hunger" will kick in) you will have to bulk up your meals....or to give to the hapless hiker who lost his food to a bear or raccoon!

George
02-14-2016, 15:27
ponder this:

you are carrying 2 energy bars each weighing 2.4 oz rounding the weights is 2oz +2oz =4oz

but 2.4 oz + 2.4oz = 4.8 oz that rounds to 5 oz

so to be able to eat 2 energy bars that are 2oz each you have to carry 5 oz?????? just does not seem fair does it

the solution: eat one right away, then you get to eat a 2.4 oz bar later that was rounded to only 2oz when carried - obviously a much better deal !

snicklefitz
02-14-2016, 15:33
the weight is equal until I need my trowel...