PDA

View Full Version : Ditch Internal Frame from Backpack?

mbroadhe
12-17-2005, 17:07
I've been in the process of lightening my load over the past few years. It's an ongoing process and I don't feel like I'm finished yet because there are other things I would like to try. This being said, I carry a Kelty Tornado 4900 that weighs in around 6 lbs. :eek: Last year, the hood stayed home because I didn't need it (it was empty). I don't want to go out and buy another pack right now because my stuff is still evolving into smaller and lighter gear. I also don't want to carry a 6 lb pack anymore. My question is.... has anyone ever tried taking the framesheet and stays out of an internal frame to basically give you a frameless pack? I figured this may lose some of that weight. Unless someone has a used, cheap, light pack they want to sell.

Mouse
12-17-2005, 17:20
Gadzooks that sounds like way bigger than you really need. :eek: I think the better option is a smaller lightwer pack and keep the stays or framesheet. They transfer the load to the hipbelt making a much more comfortable load. My chimera weighs just over 3 lbs and had all the space I needed but could pack 35 lbs with ease.

wren
12-17-2005, 17:38
I completely gutted an osprey impala for the pct. Hipbelt off, top pocket off, all padding and stays out, all nonessential straps were cut off. Worked great, was still very comfortable. I cant remember what the before and after weight difference was, but every little bit helped.

stupe
12-17-2005, 18:28
I second the motion to get rid of the hip belt.

mbroadhe
12-17-2005, 20:48
I completely gutted an osprey impala for the pct. Hipbelt off, top pocket off, all padding and stays out, all nonessential straps were cut off. Worked great, was still very comfortable. I cant remember what the before and after weight difference was, but every little bit helped.
Was the difference noticeable? What I mean is, if you can remember, the first time you put it on, after slicing and dicing, did you say "Wow, this is lighter."?
Yeah, I'm definately going to need another pack down the line. But, like I said, I want to get my gear somewhat down to a place where it isn't going to be changing drastically every year before I purchase a new pack. I'll probably keep scouring E-bay and the "for sale" section hear for lighter, smaller models, but was curious what some felt about ripping some stuff out of my current bag.

wren
12-18-2005, 17:06
Was the difference noticeable? What I mean is, if you can remember, the first time you put it on, after slicing and dicing, did you say "Wow, this is lighter."?

It was noticeable actually.. I remember looking at the pile of plastic and webbing that I had removed from the pack and thinking how I was psyched to not have to carry all of it.

I started the trail thinking I had ditched everything possible, and that I was starting pretty light, but the trail became a great lesson in 'letting go'. - not just letting go of gear, but old hiking strategies as well.. That experience has changed the way I currently prepare for trips/long trails.. Now its easier to be ruthless with what I plan to carry, and the little weight savings add up..