PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear

mirandaminer
02-11-2016, 12:01
I have been going back and forth and side to side and all over trying to decide what rain gear I'm going to get! Any suggestions guys?

smokey mtn hiker
02-11-2016, 12:27
I have always just used a poncho, but have recently bought Frogg Toggs. Have not used yet, but from what I read they work pretty good and inexpensive. So if I don't like or they don't work not out lots of money.

Probably not much help here. I am interested to see what others have to say also.

damskipi
02-11-2016, 13:37
I also just picked up Frogg Toggs. No chance to use them in rain yet, but the price and weight sure are appealing. The jacket + pants are 1/4 the price of just my normal rain jacket and only weigh 2 oz more together than the jacket alone.

nsherry61
02-11-2016, 14:23
I'm still a hopeless poncho fan. They vent well. They protect your gear better than any other option. They provide a convenient "tent" to work under while walking or sitting to look at a map or work a cell phone. They are multi-purpose in also being able to be a shelter on their own, an extra shelter for more dry space if you already use a tent, but want someplace outside that is also dry to eat or cook. They work as sit pads, ground cloths, wind breaks, "table cloths", etc.

garlic08
02-11-2016, 14:32
I'm also in the cheap and simple camp. My favorite is homemade of non-breathable silnylon, seven ounces for pants and jacket, packs the size of two fists. On the AT, the rain gear you carry is not a really important decision. How you use what you have is more so. An experienced hiker with a plastic poncho is often better off than a newbie with the highest tech, most expensive garments.

soumodeler
02-11-2016, 14:36
I brought a pair of Frogg Togg rain pants and within 5 minutes of putting them on they had ripped at the seam. Duct tape worked until the trip was over but I learned my lesson on them.

nsherry61
02-11-2016, 14:39
I brought a pair of Frogg Togg rain pants and within 5 minutes of putting them on they had ripped. . .
Gotta go over and check out the O2 raingear (http://o2rainwear.com/2011/03/original-hooded-jacket/). Similar to Frogg Toggs. Equally ugly. Surprisingly durable. Very breathable. About $10 more than Frogg Toggs.

QiWiz
02-11-2016, 15:43
Check out a Packa if you haven't.

daddytwosticks
02-11-2016, 17:02
Packa or poncho. Mostly use the poncho in the warmer months. Love having my pack completely covered. :)

Harrison Bergeron
02-11-2016, 19:01
Outdoor Products Packframe Poncho, Dri-Duck pants, MLD eVENT Rain Mitts. Total weight: 18.6, which is less than a Marmot Precip rain jacket and pack cover alone.

Use the rain mitts as a stuff sack to hold the poncho and pants -- you'll probably never use them, but they're lighter than the stuff sack that came with the poncho and they have the room to hold your entire rain kit.

You can hardly buy cheaper or lighter rain pants than Dri-ducks, and since you'll hardly ever use them, there's not much point in buying any better. If you tear them up, just buy another pair for $15.

For an extra $50, you can lose another 5 oz with a lighter, bigger, but less rugged silnylon poncho.

Add a 4oz Houdini wind jacket for less than the weight of the pack cover you don't need and you're ready for anything. You can probably find one on Ebay in an ugly color for half the price of REI.

Brup Bup
02-24-2016, 22:25
On the AT, a poncho for sure! Although a LW rain jacket will be a nice wind shirt and will help keep you warmer in the early/late months.

squeezebox
02-25-2016, 10:10
Anything to say about the sizing of the O2 products?

nsherry61
02-25-2016, 11:04
Anything to say about the sizing of the O2 products?
Palatial?

Their "Original Hooded Jacket" is a very roomy cut, but pretty standard sizing for length and shoulders.

Cheyou
02-25-2016, 12:52
Umbrella , OR pertex jacket, Helium equipment rain skirt

Odd Man Out
02-25-2016, 13:01
I have a The North Face HyVent rain jacket. It's a basic "waterproof/breathable" unlined rain jacket. Got it on sale so not too expensive. Since "waterproof/breathable" is a myth, I don't chase down the latest (and expensive) technologies. It's not ultra light and doesn't pack real small, but it has a nice hood, nice pockets, and very generous pit zips, which are essential for making it functional. It's the same jacket I use all year when it's raining. And it's an attractive blue color so I look really good on the trail (woot woot!)

Deadeye
02-25-2016, 13:24

That, or similar jacket, but I don't look good in a skirt so I have Golite rain pants when it's cold enough or nasty enough to need them.

Heliotrope
02-27-2016, 09:12
+1 on the umbrella plus rain jacket. Have never owned rain pants usually hike in shorts in the rain. Considering rain pants for chilly rain.

That, or similar jacket, but I don't look good in a skirt so I have Golite rain pants when it's cold enough or nasty enough to need them.

IMO skirts never look good with hiking shoes. Go with a pair of stilettos. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeartFire
02-27-2016, 09:17
LightHeart Gear (http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/rain-gear) Rain jacket, rain wrap, hoodie pack cover for summer time, rain pants - all made in America, VERY light weight.

ggreaves
03-01-2016, 16:09

I'm thinking about doing this. That way I could get away with a water resistent wind jacket and not have to carry a sweaty rain suit. Any umbrella fans out there?

Cheyou
03-01-2016, 16:44
I'm thinking about doing this. That way I could get away with a water resistent wind jacket and not have to carry a sweaty rain suit. Any umbrella fans out there?

I carry a hoody wind jacket and OR rain jacket. Umbrella 8oz OR rain jacket 6.5 oz rain skirt 1.6 oz. No rain jacket ? I have to think about that

ggreaves
03-01-2016, 16:49
I carry a hoody wind jacket and OR rain jacket. Umbrella 8oz OR rain jacket 6.5 oz rain skirt 1.6 oz. No rain jacket ? I have to think about that

have a look at this article.... his argument is that umbrellas keep you cooler because you don't have a non-breathable rain jacket cinched up and making you bask in sweat (and they're all non-breathable). Also, keeping cooler will reduce the need for water allowing you to carry less.

http://francistapon.com/Travels/Advice/10-Reasons-to-Go-Hiking-and-Backpacking-with-an-Umbrella

Lyle
03-01-2016, 18:00
Silnylon, Brawney Gear rain jacket - 3 oz.
Silnylon, ULA Rain Skirt - 2 oz.
Silnylon ULA pack cover - 2 oz.

Been using this combination for about 6 years now, and it works as well or better than any rain gear I've used in the past 40 years. I did modify the pack cover by adding a couple of grommets in the bottom to allow water drainage. Works great now.

Each item packs down to roughly the size of two golf balls, and each stuffs into it's own integrated pouch.

Cheyou
03-01-2016, 18:16
have a look at this article.... his argument is that umbrellas keep you cooler because you don't have a non-breathable rain jacket cinched up and making you bask in sweat (and they're all non-breathable). Also, keeping cooler will reduce the need for water allowing you to carry less.

http://francistapon.com/Travels/Advice/10-Reasons-to-Go-Hiking-and-Backpacking-with-an-Umbrella

Now I carry both wind and rain jacket and umbrella . It's the cold weather rain I need a rain jacket. Warm is not a problem. Would love not to have both . That may just b stupid light ;0) .