PDA

View Full Version : Resupply Plans

mirandaminer
02-11-2016, 15:55
Is anyone interested in sharing their resupply schedule/plans? I'm finding this to be the most difficult part of the planning process.

ALLEGHENY
02-11-2016, 16:22
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/1105-AT-Resupply-information-from-Springer-MT-Georgia-to-Mount-Katahdin-Maine

This helped me in my 2012 plan.

Slo-go'en
02-11-2016, 16:32
This is one of those things you just figure out as you go along. How far to the next town/store/restaurant? How long will it take me given the current weather, terrain and level of motivation? If your doing mail drops, tell the person sending them out where you expect to be in the next week to 10 days.

The best you can do before hand is just to make a list of all the towns along the way and how far apart they are. Since you won't know how far your going to walk everyday or which ones you might end up skipping before hand, planning too far in advance doesn't usually work out very well.

4eyedbuzzard
02-11-2016, 16:56
AWOL's site has some good info on planning. Go to http://theatguide.com/ then drill down through the menus on Hike Planning - Daily Plans - choose 12, 15, or 18 mpd plans. Just adjust for your own pace/timetable as needed. Note that some of it changes. Get his 2016 guide for the most up to date info.

Harrison Bergeron
02-11-2016, 19:08
No need to over think it unless you're doing mail drops for a special diet or something. A town comes up every week at some point, and they all have a grocery store and most have an outfitter. But everything you ever wanted to know is in AWOL's guide, including maps of the trail towns that tell you where the stores and post office are. Be sure to get the PDF version so you can put it on your phone.

RockDoc
02-11-2016, 19:21
Don't worry about it. You will figure it out as you hike. There's roads, stores, restaurants everywhere except for SMNP and the 'hundred. Other than those two areas you should never need to carry more than a 4-5 day supply of food (often less).
Just carry good documentation so you can plan out a few days ahead.

bugeyemonster
02-13-2016, 10:48
Is anyone interested in sharing their resupply schedule/plans? I'm finding this to be the most difficult part of the planning process.
I am planning to resupply solely on the way. I'll have only one mail drop to switch out gear. Two reasons for this plan. I don't want to be tied to mail drop locations, and I am living in Latvia so planning for and cost of mail drops are to much.
This approach provides a great deal more freedom. However I do worry about finding enough healthy food this way.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Kaptainkriz
02-13-2016, 11:13
I just realized there is a whole planning section on this website outside the forums thanks to this post! Thanks.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/1153-Appalachian-Trail-Data-and-Schedules

not sure why I never noticed it... :datz

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/1105-AT-Resupply-information-from-Springer-MT-Georgia-to-Mount-Katahdin-Maine

Christoph
02-13-2016, 18:25
I just looked at my guidebook, then went from there. I usually carried about 2 extra meals in case of a mouse incident, something got spoiled, emergency, or if someone ran out and needed some help. Resupply was easier than I thought, though.

Jack Tarlin
02-14-2016, 16:28
You might want to check out the "Articles" section of this website and read the "Re-Supply" piece. It is out-of-date and needs some fixing up (it mentions places and facilities that are no longer viable and omits some recent ones) but most usefully, it will tell you with some degree of accuracy how long it'll take the average hiker to traverse a particular section of Trail, and will tell you how many days to plan for,and subsequently, how much food to bring along for each section. It covers the Trail in its entirety. I've received some very nice feedback from hikers over the years from this article, and despite its need for some updating, I think you still might find it useful today.

attroll
02-14-2016, 22:24
Jack brings up a very good point. Here is the article that he is referring to http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/1105-AT-Resupply-information-from-Springer-MT-Georgia-to-Mount-Katahdin-Maine

ALLEGHENY
02-14-2016, 22:37

Post #2

Cotton Terry
02-14-2016, 22:43
AWOL's site has some good info on planning. Go to http://theatguide.com/ then drill down through the menus on Hike Planning - Daily Plans - choose 12, 15, or 18 mpd plans. Just adjust for your own pace/timetable as needed. Note that some of it changes. Get his 2016 guide for the most up to date info.

I have AWOL's plans downloaded on my iphone. I expect it to work until Hiawassee after which I will probably throw it out.

4eyedbuzzard
02-14-2016, 22:49
I have AWOL's plans downloaded on my iphone. I expect it to work until Hiawassee after which I will probably throw it out.
That'll save a bit or byte(s) of weight? ;) :D Yeah, plans have to be fluid. But, it's a better start than nothing at all for those that don't have any idea what's out there. At least it gives people an idea of how far and how long between resupply. If they can't figure out the rest and how to adjust, they probably have difficulty at home with things like eating and getting to work on time as well. Most thru-hikers tend to obsess about resupply during the planning stages. If nothing else, detailed plans ease their angst a bit.

ALLEGHENY
02-14-2016, 23:05
I planed 3 mail drops using Jake's article. Only needed to send my venison jerky that I made.

ALLEGHENY
02-14-2016, 23:09
Jack Thanks

lonehiker
02-14-2016, 23:58
You might want to check out the "Articles" section of this website and read the "Re-Supply" piece. It is out-of-date and needs some fixing up (it mentions places and facilities that are no longer viable and omits some recent ones) but most usefully, it will tell you with some degree of accuracy how long it'll take the average hiker to traverse a particular section of Trail, and will tell you how many days to plan for,and subsequently, how much food to bring along for each section. It covers the Trail in its entirety. I've received some very nice feedback from hikers over the years from this article, and despite its need for some updating, I think you still might find it useful today.

I used this article to develop my resupply plan along with the data from mapmans article on hiking statistics. If you take the lower number in Mr. Tarlin's article, for each section, it equates to a 5 month schedule. I have sent my spreadsheet to several people over the years and would be happy to send it to anyone interested. I suspect if you used the higher number you would have a 6 month schedule although I have not verified that.

Don H
02-15-2016, 09:08

I downloaded Jack's article to my phone and referred to it often during my thru. I found the information on average distances between supply points to be accurate for me and the store information still good even though the article had been written 4 years before hand (written in 2007).

Jack, how about an update for 2017?

Cheyou
02-15-2016, 11:29
My plan . Every month the government puts money in my bank. I use a bank card to resupply on trail

thom

Puddlefish
02-15-2016, 12:05
My re-supply plan is untested, so take it with a grain of salt. 90% of the time I'll resupply on the trail getting whatever I can get that's vaguely appropriate.

I didn't want to carry the full weight of the guidebook, or exclusively count on the PDF version. Therefore I figured I'd mail sections of the guide to myself. Since I'm mailing the guide, why not mail some handy items, and healthy food supplements along as well? I looked at this website (http://appalachiantrials.com/best-towns-send-mail-drops-appalachian-trail/) of possible tough re-supply towns and decided which ones I could flat out skip, which ones I'd probably have to stop in at. I then marked the guide with sticky notes into roughly six sections and looked for either a tough re-supply town, or an interesting looking lodging spot that was near the trail, or within free shuttle service of the trail.

Then using magic, I combined all this data in my brain and chose six private businesses to send maps, guidebook sections, food, food supplements, and expensive single portion supplies to. I also checked online to verify those businesses were still in business and used the same mailing address. Simple!

billdnc
02-15-2016, 17:05
As an engineer, I tend to put everything on a spreadsheet, timetable, i.e. plan each day weight each gram. I have been advised by close friends who have completed the AT and PCT thru hikes NOT TO OVER PLAN, but to leave some mystery in the adventure. Let each day's challenges unfold. Live in the moment of that time. Trying to do this is one of the reasons I'm doing the trail this year - to force me into some spontaneity and uncertainty. My son SOBOed the trail in 100 days in 2005 and did absolutely NO planning or training, but then he's not like most people.

4eyedbuzzard
02-15-2016, 18:12
As an engineer, I tend to put everything on a spreadsheet, timetable, i.e. plan each day weight each gram. I have been advised by close friends who have completed the AT and PCT thru hikes NOT TO OVER PLAN, but to leave some mystery in the adventure. Let each day's challenges unfold. Live in the moment of that time. Trying to do this is one of the reasons I'm doing the trail this year - to force me into some spontaneity and uncertainty. My son SOBOed the trail in 100 days in 2005 and did absolutely NO planning or training, but then he's not like most people.A hiker named Murphy once said something to the effect of, "Lots of things can happen on a thru-hike - and they always do." But any good engineer can figure out the solutions on the fly. ;)

High Mileage
02-16-2016, 00:07
I didn't mail any food in 15 on my complete Thru hike and was extremely happy with that. In 14 I read all these places you needed to send food to and sent some to Fontana Dam. This was off of several A.T site's and it was one of the best spots on the trail to supply on.
I've got to do some planning though for the PCT this year as the supply locations are scarce.
The longest I went between supply sources was 3 days, I was moving pretty good though but it's highly doable.

kenl
02-18-2016, 09:44
I found this site very helpful and will be using it as a basis for my resupply. I liked the general perspective of staying as close to the trail as possible. Lots of drops/resupply but thankfully I have someone back home who can deliver pre-packed boxes to the post office.
http://wanderingthewild.com/2013/02/07/appalachian-trail-food-resupply/

CarlZ993
02-18-2016, 17:17
Most buy their food as they go. I used mostly food drops from home (personal preference). I tended to have more food drops to keep the pack weight down. Where I resupplied is in my schedule that is linked in my signature below.

I'd suggest using businesses rather than PO if possible. Good luck on your hike.

Dogwood
02-18-2016, 20:50

An issue some ATers or new LD hikers have is assuming they need or can know everything pre hike. Society teaches us we must know all the answers or have familiarity to be comfortable. Every AT hiker does not need to know their entire resupply plans in minute detail pre AT hike! OMG, I know of three who traversed the length of the Andes on little trail with no guidebook to point out oodles of resupply info that resupplied rather impromptu style as they went. I went through a difficult time finally enjoyably embracing that I didn't or couldn't know everything about upcoming hikes. As others, I too mistakenly tried though. It stressed me out until I let go from having to know or plan for everything. It can easily become mentally overwhelming to attempt to do so especially as a new LD hiker planning so many other aspects of a thru-hike. Chunk it down to generalities at first. ie; I will buy along the way, I will mostly buy along the way, etc. Avoid looking too far ahead and if and when you do don't stress about it. The AT in many aspects is forgiving.

Definitely read through Jack Tarlin's Resupply Article here on WB. Kudos to Jack Tarlin, a multiple time AT thru-hiker, who has been plugged into the ins and outs of hiking the AT to one degree or another for more than three decades. He's a straight shooter who really loves the AT and hikers. His AT resupply article listed here on WB is exactly as he relates. It also has been an appreciated original core resource for resupply for most of my own hikes regardless if they involved the AT or not that saved me from some of my own resupplying assumptions that would have been problematic long term. As always, find what's appropriate for your hike. HYOH.

evyck da fleet
02-18-2016, 22:11
What Dogwood said. I had a general idea what I'd bring for meals and snacks at the beginning and as I met other hikers I'd occasionally see someone eating or mixing in something I hadn't thought of and my resupply purchases changed. That and after 700 miles I got sick of trail mix and started to buy different candies and chocolates. I even mixed in a Cliff bar every now in then to break from my usual peanut butter crackers. Planning out my meals for the next six month doesn't sound like much fun anyway.

ajcajonel
02-22-2016, 07:17
I'm living in Germany with an APO box - I'm amassing bulk grains and dehydrated goods on a daily basis here, and plan to resource at least breakfasts and dinners for the entirety of my route via the USPS. I've bought a lot off of Bob's Red Mill and Amazon, and am dehydrating fruits several times a week with my Nesco dehydrator. I need to do the down and dirty digging still, but plan to hike about 18 a day, as I'm starting in early May from Harper's Ferry and flip-flopping NOBO then SOBO.

Jake2c
02-22-2016, 09:05
I have a few things I need that can't be supplied on the trail so made up 6 boxes (1 a month) with those specific items. I didn't want to hassle anyone at home with all this on a weekly basis so will resupply on the trail. I started my thru hike this month and will cross into GA tomorrow. Not many people out here and some places are not running shuttles yet but first indications are that this plan will work fine.

attroll
02-26-2016, 15:17
I put together a new listing that I hope is helpful. If you find any problems with the list, please send me a private message so that I can correct it.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/1344-Resuppling-within-one-miles-from-the-Appalachian-Trail-for-a-thru-hike

George
02-26-2016, 23:45
my resupply plan is to subsist exclusively on shelter mice - it coincides very well with weight loss plans

CamelMan
02-27-2016, 00:55
my resupply plan is to subsist exclusively on shelter mice - it coincides very well with weight loss plans

You'll still have to bring some food to attract them, LOL.

Nonfiction
02-27-2016, 11:17

I just posted a video on my youtube channel on my typical 3-4 day Resupply. I show what I pack & how I pack it. Just go with the Flow, it is super easy to resupply on the AT........ Go check it out, hopefully it helps!

Resupply Vid ----- https://youtu.be/N2VQhW0gym4

Hike On,
Darwin

Dogwood
02-27-2016, 13:08
I'm living in Germany with an APO box - I'm amassing bulk grains and dehydrated goods on a daily basis here, and plan to resource at least breakfasts and dinners for the entirety of my route via the USPS. I've bought a lot off of Bob's Red Mill and Amazon, and am dehydrating fruits several times a week with my Nesco dehydrator. I need to do the down and dirty digging still, but plan to hike about 18 a day, as I'm starting in early May from Harper's Ferry and flip-flopping NOBO then SOBO.

Bob's Red Mill products are found along the AT in med to large grocery stores.

Suggestion: you could, once in the U.S. spend a couple of days purchasing some larger bulk bin items similar to Bob's Red Mill Products, likely costing perhaps less for unpackaged product, package yourself, and mail from within the U.S. to other parts in the U.S. Earth Fare, Harris Teeter, Whole Foods, some Krogers,, healthfood stores, etc are some stores that carry bulk bin items. This will likely save you some do re mi but cost you a couple of days. Doing this at say a Hostel like in Dahlonega GA might be ideal.

George
02-29-2016, 00:59
You'll still have to bring some food to attract them, LOL.

my fellow hikers have always graciously aided in the attraction of mice

Dogwood
02-29-2016, 01:37
As an engineer, I tend to put everything on a spreadsheet, timetable, i.e. plan each day weight each gram. I have been advised by close friends who have completed the AT and PCT thru hikes NOT TO OVER PLAN, but to leave some mystery in the adventure. Let each day's challenges unfold. Live in the moment of that time. Trying to do this is one of the reasons I'm doing the trail this year - to force me into some spontaneity and uncertainty. My son SOBOed the trail in 100 days in 2005 and did absolutely NO planning or training, but then he's not like most people.

Some worthwhile advice given. Worthy advice heeded.