PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing rain gear for my 10 year old?

JackThLion
02-11-2016, 17:01
Hi all! I'm planning a month long trip on the northeast AT this coming summer with my then 10-year old and am working through his gear, trying to upgrade some things to cut weight and bulk. He's pretty small (55lbs, size 8) so I end up carrying a lot of his gear...

Right now I'm stuck on a rain jacket for him. The kids' version of frog toggs is thick and bulky and just ick. I do use the adult ultralite set for myself and have been happy with the utility vs weight.

His current jacket is an old (OLD, like handed down through multiple families old) llbean jacket that does the job, but weighs about 13oz and is bulky. It has some kind of lining that is totally and unnecessary, but it's beyond just cutting it out... Probably isn't the most waterproof either at this point, who knows.

Thoughts on these? Apparently manufacturers can't be bothered to list the weights of items for kids.
Lands End Navigator - shows as being packable, which means it's probably pretty thin. Major pro - $20ish total even with shipping - https://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-443477_8J.html

Marmot Precip boys - $31 for certain colors, http://www.rei.com/product/859366/marmot-precip-rain-jacket-boys (I've heard this one mentioned but it might be bulkier?)

Columbia Glennaker - $30, but again, no weight info or packability photos, but at least free returns - http://smile.amazon.com/Columbia-Boys-Glennaker-Rain-Jacket/dp/B00S6P1W26/

Any other ideas? Most things are made for adults and he's too small even for women's sizes...

So typing it out, I guess I'm leaning toward that first one, but I'd be out $8 shipping if it comes and it's heavier than we wanted. But the marmot is tempting since I know I've seen it on people's lists.

Alternatively, since it's an august hike, should I just assume it won't be THAT wet and have him bring a 99c emergency poncho? Feel kind of bad doing that when I have a full frog toggs set.

Thanks for your help, WB! :)
-Alyssa

HooKooDooKu
02-11-2016, 17:41
The Amazon web page indicates a shipping weight for the Columbia Gleenaker at 6.4oz.
Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-precip-jacket-waterproof-for-little-and-big-boys~p~109wv/?filterString=boys-jackets~d~7078%2F&colorFamily=01) indicates the weight for the Marmot Precip at 9.8oz

The Kisco Kid
02-11-2016, 17:59
My first thought was a poncho, especially in August. He'll outgrow any jacket you buy too soon to make the investment worthwhile. I'd avoid the 99 cent ponchos though. It will be torn to shreds in a day!

JackThLion
02-11-2016, 18:27
Ooh thanks HookooDooku. Guess my interweb skills were failing me today (probably because I have 5 thousand gear tabs open).

Marcovee (sorry, not sure how to actually tag people yet), any recommendation on a poncho if we went that route? While on the AT for a rainy week last year in July a friend was regretting hers (frog togs poncho) because she couldn't keep her arms dry, so she was chilly setting up camp.

Feral Bill
02-12-2016, 00:20
My kids at that age used basic nylon ponchos from Campmor. As adults, they still do. 33625
Hm? My son (below) seems to have a jacket in that picture

FarmerChef
02-12-2016, 16:55
Alyssa,

I completed the AT in a bunch of section hikes (some as long as 2 weeks) with my wife and 3 of our 4 children, ranging from 15 to 10 now but 10 to 6 when we started. In the beginning we used solely disposable ponchos. They were light, cheap and rain showers in the summer "tend" to be short lived, though the occasional day of full on rain was had. The ponchos stood up well to the test and we could carry a couple in case one got shredded, usually by my son who liked to rub on trees as he walked down the trail. The biggest plus was that we bought them 2 sizes too big when possible and put them on over the pack. This helped keep the pack dry but also allowed plenty of breathing room underneath. Otherwise, we fried in the summer time.

As we worked our way further north and hiked more in the winter, we changed over to Frogg Toggs even for my son who was 9-10 through this period. Yes they were bulky and hot but if the weather was cool, unlike the ponchos, the long sleeves kept our merino wool long sleeves from getting soaked - the biggest problem for later when we would stop or the rain would stop. Once again these were hot, though buying them too big meant we could kind of drape them over our packs.

Honestly, unless it's a really wet year, most rain is short lived in the summer in my experience and most rain gear makes you as wet underneath of it as you would have been without it. The key is to balance water repelling ability with ventilation and that keeps me going back to the poncho again and again for warm to hot weather. If you could get a lightweight poncho, say nylon or even cuben ($$$, I know) that might be the best way to go. Hope that helps.

Brup Bup
02-24-2016, 22:37
Another vote for a poncho.