PDA

View Full Version : Jersey hike itin help

cnikirk
02-11-2016, 17:06
I will be in New Jersey this year very close to the AT with a few days to spare. I was thinking of getting dropped off at the Culver's Gap parking lot by Culver Lake and head north. I will most likely need to exit close to where highway 94 intersects with the trail. I should have a ride waiting on me there. Is this a decent say three day trip? I have three maybe 4 days, but I figured going through Stokes and High Point state park would be nice.

Feel free to throw out ideas and opinions and best camping spots. I'm not too concerned with mileage, but 25 - 40 is basically what I'm after. Thanks!

runt13
02-11-2016, 17:42
Don't discount Worthington State Forest.

RUNT ''13''

tdoczi
02-11-2016, 18:52
assuming you havent already done it, the southern end of the kittatiny ridge is much more scenic and enjoyable then the northern end. looking at the elevation and the presence of high point, etc, i can see why it mean at a glance seem otherwise, but most of culver gap to high point is the most boring stretch in NJ. either del water gap north for 30-40 miles or route 94 north for 30-40 miles are better hikes.

egilbe
02-11-2016, 19:07
Dress warmly. Gonna get cold.

cnikirk
02-12-2016, 00:34
Never hiked in NJ at all so no clue about the terrain. Also I should have noted that this hike won't happen until it is warmer :-) I can look into what has been suggested so far. I just need to make sure I don't have to drive too far away from 94/AT cross or I won't have time. Hard to explain, but my window and shuttle distance will be somewhat tight I believe.

cnikirk
02-12-2016, 14:10
assuming you havent already done it, the southern end of the kittatiny ridge is much more scenic and enjoyable then the northern end. looking at the elevation and the presence of high point, etc, i can see why it mean at a glance seem otherwise, but most of culver gap to high point is the most boring stretch in NJ. either del water gap north for 30-40 miles or route 94 north for 30-40 miles are better hikes.

Wouldn't the route I suggested include the famous suspension bridge? That seems pretty cool.

somers515
02-13-2016, 00:33
Wouldn't the route I suggested include the famous suspension bridge? That seems pretty cool.

Yes and agreed. From Culver's gap to Route 94 is roughly 35 miles. From Culver's gap some highlights of your trip would be the Sunrise Pavilion, High Point State HQ at Route 24, then up to the Highpoint Monument (definitely worth the short side trail to it), Wallkill River National Wildlife Refuge, some boardwalking, some walking by farms and the suspension bridge. If you make it early go a little bit past Route 94 and climb up to the Pinwheel Vista to finish off your hike with a great view. I think you'd enjoy that trip. If you do it report back when you are done and let us know what you thought of it.

cnikirk
02-13-2016, 11:02
Yes and agreed. From Culver's gap to Route 94 is roughly 35 miles. From Culver's gap some highlights of your trip would be the Sunrise Pavilion, High Point State HQ at Route 24, then up to the Highpoint Monument (definitely worth the short side trail to it), Wallkill River National Wildlife Refuge, some boardwalking, some walking by farms and the suspension bridge. If you make it early go a little bit past Route 94 and climb up to the Pinwheel Vista to finish off your hike with a great view. I think you'd enjoy that trip. If you do it report back when you are done and let us know what you thought of it.

Awesome thank you!