PDA

View Full Version : Tent Question

New England Guy
02-12-2016, 01:52
I am finally almost finished purchasing all my gear for my upcoming thru attempt in April.....however, The one last major purchase is my shelter. I can't seem to make up my mind, so I figure I'd try and get some Sage advice from the WB community. Both my choices are by far the most expensive single piece of gear I will be taking along, and that is probably the reason I am having such a difficult time deciding! The candidates have come down to either the Zpacks Duplex Cuben Fiber which from what I hear is pretty amazing, or the newly redesigned for 2016 MSR Carbon Reflex 2. I need to hurry up and decide, because I would have to order the Zpacks in the next day or two in order to have it for my April 1stish start date. The MSR Carbon Reflex will be available March 1st, so I shouldn't have any issues getting a hold of one of those. Both are extremely expensive, but the way I look at it, this will be my home for 6 or so months, and a whole heck of a lot cheaper than rent or a mortgage! Basically I am worried about the durability of the carbon fiber tent poles on the MSR, and the Zpacks gives me concern due to the price and the time frame it will take to get one. I have always used double wall tents, BA Seedhouse SL 1, Marmot limelite, Northface Roadrunner 22, to name a few, but feel the hybrid design of the Zpacks, would be faster and easier to put up, which would be a bennefit in rainy conditions, or at the end of a long day when I'm tired. Thanks in advance for any input.

Traveler
02-12-2016, 07:55
From 93 responses you will probably get 107 opinions, with little consensus. It will eventually come down to what you want to afford, what you feel most comfortable using, and if it can arrive in time.

Its always best to see the tent you are interested in set up so you can get into it and get a better feel, but thats not an option with the cottage makers. If one of these is what you are looking for, order it so you have it in time and check it out, using retailers as a back up if you don't like the product.

daddytwosticks
02-12-2016, 08:10
100's of opinions. Tons of hikers here swear by tarp tents. I've strayed away from these silnylon products and went back to a single person double wall tent. I've tried three tart tents from Henry Shires and Lightheart Gear. All fine products, but I love my MSR Hubba NX-1. Freestanding, easy to set up, and pretty much bomb proof. :)

Dugout
02-12-2016, 08:41
Both are good choices and as the 1st two replies stated, you will get votes either way as well as many other recommendations to consider. If you do decide to go the Z-Packs route, I think you'll have it sooner than you think. I ordered a Solplex from them and had it in just over three weeks. Just let them know your start date and I'm sure they will get it to you in time.

Venchka
02-12-2016, 09:36
The wind is blowing stink. Sideways rain coming down in buckets. How much water will the floor of the MSR tent hold by the time you get the fly on? Did you look at how light the fabrics are? 7D-10D-15D fabric. Silly light. The complexity of a fiddly freestanding pole system without a freestanding pitch. Makes me wonder "Why?"
All of these newfangled Super Whiz Bang Gizmos send me back to tried & true double wall reasonably study dead simple shelter solutions. There is no free lunch. Gear gets lighter because stuff is tripped off. Stuff you may need sooner or later.
Good luck.

Wayne

nsherry61
02-12-2016, 11:03
I've never used or touched either of these tents, so you should probably ignore everything I type. That being said, I'd go with the duplex because it is basically a shaped tarp with a built in bug net and ground cloth. I looks a fair bit roomier than that MSR. It's a fair bit lighter than the MSR. When wet, it will be even lighter since the MSR's nylon will hold more water. I expect, like stated above that z-packs could meet a departure deadline if you let them know soon. The duplex comes in camo!

SteelCut
02-12-2016, 11:16
I have the Duplex and highly recommend it provided you can handle the price.

Coming from a background of double wall tents you might find the Duplex breezy in windy conditions.

I would make sure that ZPacks can have it to you a week or more prior to your departure date so that you can make sure that you have time to practice setting it up. Not something you want to try to figure out in the dark or in a storm.

colorado_rob
02-12-2016, 11:32
I've never used or touched either of these tents, so you should probably ignore everything I type. That being said, I'd go with the duplex because it is basically a shaped tarp with a built in bug net and ground cloth. I looks a fair bit roomier than that MSR. It's a fair bit lighter than the MSR. When wet, it will be even lighter since the MSR's nylon will hold more water. I expect, like stated above that z-packs could meet a departure deadline if you let them know soon. The duplex comes in camo!Yeah, when I bought my zpacks tent last spring, I was pressed for time, and the guy got me my tent in 3 weeks, if memory serves, no extra charge.

People keep talking about getting the duplex for a solo hike, but the duplex is 5 ounces heavier and $150 more than the Hexamid Solo-plus (assuming you go with the mesh floor, rather than the cuben floor; just use a cheap and UL polycro sheet in lieu of the expensive and heavier cuben). the Solo-plus is plenty palatial for one person and all his/her gear, so check that one out. I've even shared it (the Solo plus) with my wife (she is petite), though I wouldn't do this for more than a couple nights... hence why I will probably but that Duplex when my wife retires next year and we hit some serious long trails together.

yaduck9
02-12-2016, 11:35
The MSR Carbon Reflex will be available March 1st, so I shouldn't have any issues getting a hold of one of those.

Whenever I listen to someone trying to make a decision, and the word "should" pops up, I tend to cringe internally.:(

IMHO, it is better to have all of your ducks in a row, several weeks ahead of time.

bigcranky
02-12-2016, 13:23
I like our Zpacks Hex Twin, though if I were ordering today I'd get the Duplex. It's freakishly light, sets up quickly, and holds up to wind and rain. Not much room inside for two, but plenty for one. No issues with the fabric, and it's easily repaired in the field. All the seams are pre-taped, since that's how it's made.

That said, the Tarptent Notch is a fine solo tent, doesn't weigh much more, and costs about half the Zpacks. Get Tarptent to seam seal it for you.

Note that all these tents require two hiking poles to pitch, but you probably know that. :)

Christoph
02-13-2016, 18:56
Hopefully you can see this pic if it posts right. I took a Dowson Products "Load Mountain" 6x4 "2 person" tent I got from Ebay for 40 bucks and it lasted all 750 miles. No doubt it would have lasted an entire thru. I slept diagonally, very comfortably. The only thing I changed was the pole setup. They came with thick and heavy poles (overkill) so I swapped them out with some smaller ones I already had from my daughters old pup tent. Came in around 3.5 pounds all together. I'd use the same one again because it very durable and fairly light for the price. Just my 2 cents, high price doesn't always mean better, so you're definitely on the right track by researching. This is one of the most important things you'll bring and it HAS to be reliable.

New England Guy
02-13-2016, 23:53
Thank you all for the responses! About what I expected. I knew I would get varied responses....that's what I was looking for! Mainly to see what points or issues would come up that were not coming to mind while thinking this through. Wayne, thank you for bringing up rain set up...it's been a while since I pitched a tent in less than desireable weather. Duplex owners, correct me if I am wrong, but I assume due to the design, the duplex is pretty easy to keep the inside dry while setting up in the rain? Nsherry61, Love your "it comes in camo!" comment! That's definitely the one I am eyeing up! Not only because I like camo, but it would probably serve me well if I have to stealth camp. MSR tents have a solid reputation, and the few I've seen in person seem very nice, but I do think this particular tent might be a little too delicate for a thru attempt. I mainly was considering it because every tent I have ever owned has been double walled, and this was the lightest one I could find that also has 2 side entry points and vestibules. Colorado_rob, I was considering one of the 1 person shelters, but I have a hiking partner flying in from Arizona to do a month long section with me, and he will not have a tent with him. He is planning on staying in shelters for the most part, or cowboy camping, but I thought it might be nice if I have the room for him if we are in a pinch, and the weather sucks. The one plus tents would be an option, and I like my friend and all, but I really don't want to be that close to him if it comes down to sharing a shelter. The other reason for me to consider the MSR is that I have the ability to get the carbon reflex for less than the full retail price, but I think I have made up my mind, the weight savings and the ability to pitch in the rain and keep the tent body dry out weigh the cost savings. I will be ordering the Zpacks this week! Now, practicing setting it up will be another issue as I live in Vermont and it's negative 15 degrees and snow covered here at the moment! Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond. I truly appreciate it.

aka.cyberman
02-14-2016, 00:40
Check out Six Moons Design & Yama Mountaineering for good CF Tents. Nothing wrong with ZPacks either.

SteelCut
02-14-2016, 07:39
Duplex owners, correct me if I am wrong, but I assume due to the design, the duplex is pretty easy to keep the inside dry while setting up in the rain?

Yes, it's very easy to keep interior dry while setting up in rain. Try to keep the outer CF doors covering the interior mesh doors as much as possible when you first unroll and lay it out.

nsherry61
02-14-2016, 09:49
. . . Now, practicing setting it up will be another issue as I live in Vermont and it's negative 15 degrees and snow covered here at the moment.
And help me out here. What is the reason to not practice setting your tent up in winter conditions? The tent sure isn't going to care that it is cold and snowy. Are you suggesting that just because it is cold and snowy you are not going to head out for a weekend snowshoe trip to play with your new gear?

Never let weather get in the way of a good time. ;-)

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2016, 10:04
http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Carbon-Reflex-Tent-Red/dp/B019F2QNKE/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

There are very few of the new Carbon Rexflex in available for purchase.

johnupton318
02-17-2016, 18:25
I will be carrying the Tarp Tent squall 2. Super easy setup, small vestibule at the door, and 34 oz. I've slept in extremely rainy conditions and it has held up. It's also significantly cheaper than many of its ultralight competitors.

bugeyemonster
02-18-2016, 15:44
I would advise buying a tent at REI as they have a very liberal replacement/return policy. You can get a really great tent for the price of the zpacks duplex cuben fiber.

New England Guy
02-18-2016, 21:31
And help me out here. What is the reason to not practice setting your tent up in winter conditions? The tent sure isn't going to care that it is cold and snowy. Are you suggesting that just because it is cold and snowy you are not going to head out for a weekend snowshoe trip to play with your new gear?

Never let weather get in the way of a good time. ;-)

I wasn't planning on it...not because it's cold or snowy. I work as a snowboard instructor, so I am out in the snow and cold plenty. Honestly, I'm not going to have two days off in a row until March 28th, and I am planning on heading south on April 1st, so I really won't have the opportunity. I'll be in Virginia for a few days to finalize logistics, so I'll probably go for a quick shaledown trip in the Shennandoahs to get acquainted with my new tent... which ever that may be. I went to order the ZPacks, but there website has been changed to an 8 week processing period... I've tried to email a few times, but I have yet to hear back. That means a new duplex might not be ready in time! I'm sure they are very busy with people like myself who waited to the last minute to get a tent or bag. We'll shall see what I end up with at this point...

SWODaddy
02-18-2016, 22:56
If you like the Zpacks Duplex design and are OK with the weight of the MSR Carbon Reflex, take a look at the redesigned Nemo Meta LE 2P that was just released and is less than $300.

I just bought one, but haven't had a chance to take it out yet. Weight is 2lbs 3.2oz according to my scale. Size is plenty for two folks. Silnylon weight is heavier than the Carbon Reflex.