PDA

View Full Version : Webcams at popular shelters

Gambit McCrae
02-12-2016, 10:10
The National Park Service has webcams stations all over the country, with live feeds. I can see both sides of installing some webcams not IN the shelters, but say on top overlooking the front area of a shelter. It would give people a live perspective of the area, and could help in trip planning.. Im thinking more so in winter. These little types of cameras can be run off of solar power, and maybe shelters aren't the right place for them, maybe at iconic spots along the way.. Fontana, Snowbird, Washington Monument, Harpers Ferry. Of course vandalism, maintenance, repairs and solar contact would all be discussed lol

Wet Foot
02-12-2016, 10:16
Most shelters have no cell coverage or electricity and are too far from developed areas for landlines. So, not only would you have to install cameras, you'd have to string power lines and/or phone lines. I'd rather the various authorities spend that money on basic trail maintenance or upkeep of the shelters. Plus, I hike to get away from all of that electronic noise and I don't need a bunch of pajama boys in their parents' basements spying on me while I'm at the shelter. There are more than enough information resources on shelters for planning. Bad idea.

Gambit McCrae
02-12-2016, 12:11
Solar Power*
Possibly not at shelter*
Would not be directed IN the shelter*
Didn't know Pajama Boys watched national Park webcams in parents basements?*
Basic trail maintenance is done by volunteers*

It cant be too bad of an idea the NPS has already installed them in all the national parks from Mammoth cave to the National Mall in DC, even out west...

I think you were a bad idea :welcome

Puddlefish
02-12-2016, 12:53
Hate the idea. I understand when I go into public I'm under near constant surveillance already. The difference is that this would be a public cam, where anyone can just sit back and observe for whatever purpose they want. Oh, a single female is camping in the shelter tonight. Oh, look at that $800 camera that guy just left unattended. I haven't posted a single image of myself online, ever. I know that's hard to understand in today's look at me, look at me, give me your online affirmation society, but I don't want to dance for your amusement.

burger
02-12-2016, 13:38
Why do people keep trying to replace real life with screens? If you want to see the woods, go outside.

Furlough
02-12-2016, 18:37
Great response Burger. In the words of those ESPN football analysts, "Come on, Man." Usually said in response to a bone headed play. I see no upside to this idea. Maybe move this thread to the Humor forum.

Furlough

MuddyWaters
02-12-2016, 18:46
Ridiculous

Theres a difference between front-country "natural attractions", and people camping in the woods.

jimmyjam
02-12-2016, 19:28
A terrible idea.

SWODaddy
02-12-2016, 19:31
I'm still shocked that Google hasn't mapped the entire trail yet with one of their cameras. Then people can "virtually thru hike" the trail. :-?

TexasBob
02-12-2016, 20:04
The National Park Service has webcams stations all over the country, with live feeds. I can see both sides of installing some webcams not IN the shelters, but say on top overlooking the front area of a shelter. It would give people a live perspective of the area, and could help in trip planning.. Im thinking more so in winter. These little types of cameras can be run off of solar power, and maybe shelters aren't the right place for them, maybe at iconic spots along the way.. Fontana, Snowbird, Washington Monument, Harpers Ferry. Of course vandalism, maintenance, repairs and solar contact would all be discussed lol

Maybe it should be tested in your backyard pointed at your house.

rocketsocks
02-12-2016, 20:18
Maybe it should be tested in your backyard pointed at your house.it already is, big brother is watching.

I'm for less big brother, not more.

BillyGr
02-12-2016, 20:22
The one part that might be useful is to have them somewhere to show what the area looks like. For example, when there is any kind of winter storm it seems there are always people posting wondering what it's like on the trail (as opposed to lower elevations in town(s)). That would be where having a viewpoint would help - not necessarily at a shelter.

Heliotrope
02-12-2016, 21:33
Annoying and repulsive idea. Like others have said: "go out there and see for yourself" and "we have enough surveillance"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
02-12-2016, 22:52
Privacy is relative when hiking, but more importantly it is based on trust and mutual respect. Neither of these things exist when a web cam enters the equation.

Mtsman
02-12-2016, 23:59
I can just imagine not knowing the camera was there and being in the shot when I had a deep grumbling in my stomach and the urge to release said monster quickly.

Traveler
02-13-2016, 07:10
This issue may be in the same realm as the use of drones (some with cameras) on the AT. Since drones are banned in the AT corridor, it probably should be the same for stationary cameras, with exceptions for both when used temporarily to document/capture people engaged in criminal acts or finding lost people.

Presuming the consensus is no webcams due to privacy and other reasons, how about those making the next "great trail video" and filming their adventure continually. This also includes filming people that are encountered on the trail, with the footage eventually finding its way onto the internet and is no less intrusive than a web camera at a shelter looking at the front "social" area. If the common cry of those who film others is, "I can film you if you are in a public place", why would this be considered allowable but web cameras are not.

Interesting question with the growing number of amateur video log capture others in their "work" and throw it onto the internet without any hesitation. Many of these folks object to web cameras but are oblivious to the privacy issue that they pose.

Puddlefish
02-13-2016, 10:05
This issue may be in the same realm as the use of drones (some with cameras) on the AT. Since drones are banned in the AT corridor, it probably should be the same for stationary cameras, with exceptions for both when used temporarily to document/capture people engaged in criminal acts or finding lost people.

Presuming the consensus is no webcams due to privacy and other reasons, how about those making the next "great trail video" and filming their adventure continually. This also includes filming people that are encountered on the trail, with the footage eventually finding its way onto the internet and is no less intrusive than a web camera at a shelter looking at the front "social" area. If the common cry of those who film others is, "I can film you if you are in a public place", why would this be considered allowable but web cameras are not.

Interesting question with the growing number of amateur video log capture others in their "work" and throw it onto the internet without any hesitation. Many of these folks object to web cameras but are oblivious to the privacy issue that they pose.

In several trail blogs I've seen a couple of examples of people glaring at the camera, and scooting off to the side in the background. I tend to stop watching their blogs at that point, because I realize they're self absorbed idiots and don't want to give them the Youtube hits that earn them their pennies. Seriously, you may have the right to record your video, but it's tacky and lazy not to edit out the ten seconds of the clearly uncomfortable person stepping out of the bathroom at the bunkhouse. I would hope that a simple "please don't film me and use this footage" would suffice on the trail (assuming you aren't doing anything illegal at the time.)

In general, I'm a bit cantankerous and easily annoyed about poor video/Youtube etiquette. That even includes people on this site who do nothing but post their videos in response to barely pertinent questions. What's your favorite color you ask? Here's a link to my blog where I review a green backpack! Sure, they're within their rights to post those links, but it doesn't mean I have to click them. Maybe Whiteblaze should add a "Shameless Self Promotion" section.

Emerson Bigills
02-13-2016, 11:30
Everyone has an opinion and this might be somewhat generational, but as a backpacker, I see very little upside of having cameras on the trail, except possibly at trailheads to combat vandalism (and the cameras would probably get stolen). In a nutshell, I think it is a bad idea. For me, part of the lure of the trail is trying to interpret a weather forecast with my equipment, while knowing there is that element of surprise. With so many people having smartphones, I would hate for any hiker, especially a female, to have the fact she is staying in a shelter along broadcast across the web.

squeezebox
02-13-2016, 12:50
Add me to the No list, for all of the above reasons.

gpburdelljr
02-13-2016, 17:47
Really bad idea.

Christoph
02-13-2016, 18:13
Hate the idea. I understand when I go into public I'm under near constant surveillance already. The difference is that this would be a public cam, where anyone can just sit back and observe for whatever purpose they want. Oh, a single female is camping in the shelter tonight. Oh, look at that $800 camera that guy just left unattended. I haven't posted a single image of myself online, ever. I know that's hard to understand in today's look at me, look at me, give me your online affirmation society, but I don't want to dance for your amusement.

What a horrible idea and I agree with Puddlefish 10000%. We're already surveillanced enough. Unfortunately, I think this (single female coming into camp, merchandise, theft's, etc...) would happen and that would lead to more security issues then anything. The world is already too reliant on screens and heck.... here I am as well. Uhg!

mysteryguest
02-13-2016, 19:06
I also don't want to see cameras along any trail.
As others have stated, we have cameras on us at all times as it is. Just go here to see traffic cams all over the nation- http://www.trafficland.com/map . The Dept.of Transportation pays more for data on each camera than most pay for monthly rent, ($700+ per month, per camera). That is after they pay for the costs of building telco lines to the site.

You could look at the traffic cams located nearby the AT and get an idea of real-time weather.
Here's some more cams at ski resorts in the Mid-Atlantic. http://www.resortcams.com/all-cams/

You could find countless others with a bit of searching.

RockDoc
02-13-2016, 21:39
It all started with putting cameras everywhere...

tdoczi
02-13-2016, 22:18
worst idea since this one-

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/74705-What-s-the-Deal-With-Poor-Pinkham-Notch-Cell-Service?highlight=cell+tower+pinkham+notch

turtle fast
02-13-2016, 23:23
If it's a good solar with battery backup along with satalite transmission you can have an independent camera. Though the cost would be so prohibitive to make it unfeasable. The only application I could see is a mobile unit for areas on the trail of repeated criminal activity or vandalism...like some parking areas or illegal grow sites. ....though again cost to benefit...

Mountain Dog
02-13-2016, 23:53
Stupid idea. How many miles has Gambit grabbed? I can't see one serious hiker wanting to be part of a couch potatoes "venture" outside. There are enough web cams pointing at mountain if you want to see the scenery. I personally do not want to be a part of some voyager's excitement when I am hiking. I'll stop here before my real opinion shows.

Skyline
02-14-2016, 00:47
I can't see this webcam lasting a week. Weather, humans, critters would see to that. Would be a waste of much needed NPS funding. And a really, really bad idea.

singing wind
02-14-2016, 03:33
Gambit you're joking right? Seriously. How nice it used to be when we had a bit of privacy anywhere anytime. Now surveillance cameras are like a cancer spread everywhere. At shelters or on the trail - no thanks. Got that right. No. Thanks. Nature connection is an in person, real time boots on the ground experience. No cameras needed.

BonBon
02-14-2016, 10:16
A web cam at Mt Washington would be amusing. It is so entertaining up on the most dangerous weather mountain in the world.;) Such a mix of characters- I loved it.
Anywhere else- no- that would really infringe on peoples privacy. Try to imagine the opus of snoring and farting episode during the wee hours in a full shelter. Nobody wants to see that!

Sarcasm the elf
02-14-2016, 11:23
A web cam at Mt Washington would be amusing. It is so entertaining up on the most dangerous weather mountain in the world.;) Such a mix of characters- I loved it.
Anywhere else- no- that would really infringe on peoples privacy. Try to imagine the opus of snoring and farting episode during the wee hours in a full shelter. Nobody wants to see that!

There is a mountaintop webcam for Mt Washington. I'm having trouble getting the link on my phone, but google Mt Washington Observatory and you should be able to find it. They have an online weather station posted on the site as well. It was -38f up there last night before the windchill.