PDA

View Full Version : Keeping cam clothes dry

radevil5
02-12-2016, 22:41
I was thinking leave my camp clothes and sleeping bag liner inside my sleeping bag, roll it into its stuff sack, then put it in a dry bag. Keeping everything for sleep nice any dry. Any thoughts?

Mtsman
02-13-2016, 00:02
sounds like a winner to me, as long as you don't plan on layering with said camp clothes at any point along the trail.

garlic08
02-13-2016, 08:36
As mentioned above, sometimes, especially on the AT, it's nice to pull out a dry layer for a break in a shelter. Days like that I keep a gallon ziplock with a dry shirt and a hat at the top of the pack. The dry bag (a trash compactor bag in my case) stays in the bottom. Be sure to test your dry bag often for holes, and keep some duct tape handy for patching. With some care, that system works very well. I haven't used a pack cover in years, and have kept my insulation dry in extreme conditions, even including momentary dunking on deep fords.

Rocket Jones
02-13-2016, 21:06
Yep. Pretty much what I do for my "sleep clothes". The exception is if I'll want to change into "camp clothes", then I keep them separate in a giant ziplock.

Slo-go'en
02-14-2016, 12:36
You can try putting them all in one bag, but you'll probably find it gets bulky and is more space efficient to pack them separately. You'll also want to keep your "camp" clothes on until the last minute before putting on the wet hiking shirt and leaving camp.

My sequence of events when I get up is as follows:
1) Deflate sleeping pad (assuming you have one which needs deflating)
2) Sit up and put on my warm shirt or jacket
3) Stuff the sleeping bag
4) Put on socks and pants
5) Take a pee
6) Break down the rest of camp and start stuffing pack
7) Cook breakfast (or just eat a Honey Bun)
8) Change to hiking shirt.