PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Warm - August through November SOBO Thru Hike

mml373
02-13-2016, 00:01
I am planning a SOBO thru hike and would like thoughts on what gear I need to consider in order to stay warm. Especially interested in name brands/models of any clothing suggested.

I recently gave up on carrying my old military Gortex jacket (with liner) after folks here convinced me it is too heavy and bulky. It would have served the purpose, but indeed it is bulky.

I'm not sure that a warm under layer, coat, and my new ultralight rain gear are going to be any less heavy or bulky than the single Gortex jacket I'm trying to replace. It is a fact the Gortex was paid for years ago and would have held up to rocks, limbs, etc. better than ultralight rain gear. But...your suggestions are why I'm here...

Thanks in advance.

Goozpah
02-13-2016, 18:56
I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but have the same question and one of my own to add: will a synthetic insulated jacket be warm enough or is a down filled jacket a must?

gbolt
02-13-2016, 20:01
I am no expert, but the purpose of Gortex is to repel water and keep a person dry. It doesn't breath all that well so it does create a sauna effect if sweating underneath. Step one of staying warm is to stay dry. The next step is to layer up and down to control heat and sweat and achieve step one. With a proper base layer, a hiking shirt, a midlayer fleece or Patagonia Cap. 4 3/4 Zip, an outer Windshirt (Patagonia Houdini) and/or Outer Shell (your UL Rain gear); you should be able to regulate your temperature needs from August to November. I was once told that you should be able to wear everything you carry at once (minus your dry camp/sleep wear). Don't forget to cover your head with a ball cap down to a fleece beanie (major heat loss surface area).

My opinion on the second post is that the warmth is not the difference between synthetic and down. The differences are: cost, weight, and bulk or pack ability. Down is lighter and packs smaller but at a much greater cost. The other issue is that Down does not work wet where synthetics will. However, most that lay down the cost for down (especially new DRW possibilities), have very little problems keeping their down equiptment dry.

Hopefully others well weight in as well; but hope this gets it started for you both.

Mtsman
02-14-2016, 03:51
I am no expert, but the purpose of Gortex is to repel water and keep a person dry. It doesn't breath all that well so it does create a sauna effect if sweating underneath. Step one of staying warm is to stay dry. The next step is to layer up and down to control heat and sweat and achieve step one. With a proper base layer, a hiking shirt, a midlayer fleece or Patagonia Cap. 4 3/4 Zip, an outer Windshirt (Patagonia Houdini) and/or Outer Shell (your UL Rain gear); you should be able to regulate your temperature needs from August to November. I was once told that you should be able to wear everything you carry at once (minus your dry camp/sleep wear). Don't forget to cover your head with a ball cap down to a fleece beanie (major heat loss surface area).

My opinion on the second post is that the warmth is not the difference between synthetic and down. The differences are: cost, weight, and bulk or pack ability. Down is lighter and packs smaller but at a much greater cost. The other issue is that Down does not work wet where synthetics will. However, most that lay down the cost for down (especially new DRW possibilities), have very little problems keeping their down equiptment dry.

Hopefully others well weight in as well; but hope this gets it started for you both.

There are a bunch of gold nuggets in this post. Re-read it several times to extract more of that ore and mold it into the jewelry that you like.

egilbe
02-14-2016, 07:55
In an August through November hike, I would start with a 30* quilt and see how far it takes you. You way have to purchase another, warmer, bag towards the end of your hike, but you could combine them to get down to even lower temps. Do the same thing with your clothing. Start off minimal and purchase additional layers as you find you need them. This means you will need a larger pack to start with, or plan on buying a larger pack as you add more gear.

garlic08
02-14-2016, 08:24
It's not the gear that will keep you warm, it's your experience and knowledge. An experienced hiker with a plastic poncho can often be more comfortable than a newbie with the most expensive garments.

If you're not sure the gear you're carrying is right for you, it's best to go out and carefully build confidence in it and augment it as is necessary for your hike. For example, it took an entire winter of experimenting with a new insulated windshirt (Marmot Driclime) before I felt comfortable leaving my bulky old fleece behind on my first thru-hike. It was hard. That was over ten years ago and I never carry a fleece any more. And I seldom take off the Driclime (wearing it right now). Others will disagree with me, having had different experiences on different trails and having different hiking and camping styles, and that's fine.

Good advice above about adding (or removing unused) layers as you hike. You'll have time to develop your experience, style, and gear before the dark days of winter.

rafe
02-14-2016, 09:13
I don't do long hikes in winter, but I have a fair amount of experience on winter day hikes. A wool or synthetic flannel shirt is almost always worn, or in my kit. Usually some synthetic base layer under that, and some nylon or Goretex layer above - some kind of windbreaker shell.

I've found that puffy down outerwear is problematic while hiking -- it traps and absorbs too much moisture, loses its loft and insulation power when that happens.

aka.cyberman
02-23-2016, 10:10
You stay warm on a SOBO the same way you stay warm on a NOBO. I doubt if that helps much, but you asked.

B.j. Clark
02-23-2016, 11:22
Try here: good ideas of what can work at different times and different locations on the trail.

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-clothing-systems-3-season-conditions/