PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst vs GG Blaze

Just Tom
02-13-2016, 12:06
So on my journey towards lightening up, I find myself considering a new pack. I normally use a 50 liter pack that weighs about 3 1/2 pounds for short trips, but I find that if I get beyond a couple of days the room for food starts getting tricky. Plus sometimes on outings with the scouts troop gear gets divided up between everyone and that adds to the capacity and weight requirements. In these cases I switch to my 65 liter pack that weighs 4 pounds and that one is the one I'm looking to upgrade.

The two packs that I am looking at are the Catalyst (currently on sale via massdrop) and the Blaze, so the cost is the same. (The Blaze would be cheaper initially since I have an REI gift card, but I'm sure I could sell the gift card if needed.) The return policy on the Blaze via REI is also helpful.

Additional info, my base weight last year was an unimpressive 19 pounds. Since then I've dropped about a pound from my shelter and I continue to whittle away on things (it is a process). And of course a new pack will shave about a pound as well.

Long story short, has anyone on here used both packs or have impressions based on my use cases?

Thanks!

Cheyou
02-13-2016, 12:39
Ula is made in the USA .

Deadeye
02-13-2016, 16:52
I have the Catalyst and a Granite Gear pack with a similar suspension to the Blaze. I can't help you much, because you can't go wrong with either pack. I use a bear canister, so I really like the fact that the ULA pack is wide enough to carry it horizontally and still have everything inside. The Granite Gear hip belt and shoulder pads are thicker and softer and more comfortable. I still use both.

Just Tom
02-13-2016, 18:02
Thanks for the feedback so far!

Just Tom
02-16-2016, 13:37
Deadeye, a question for you. Can either of these packs accommodate a Z Lite sleeping pad? It lloks like maybe the GG pack maybe take one going vertically in the center, or perhaps on the top with the front-to back buckle? The Catalyst perhaps could hold it under the shock cord criss crossing the center pocket. What do you think?

heatherfeather
02-16-2016, 13:57
Deadeye, a question for you. Can either of these packs accommodate a Z Lite sleeping pad? It lloks like maybe the GG pack maybe take one going vertically in the center, or perhaps on the top with the front-to back buckle? The Catalyst perhaps could hold it under the shock cord criss crossing the center pocket. What do you think?

Generally, it is easiest to attach most ccf pads to the outside of the pack. They take up too much room inside of the pack. I probably wouldn't attach it to the very front of the back. That makes your profile a little think and could pull weight from your center of gravity. I would use a couple straps on the very bottom of the pack, personally. It also helps protect your pack from abrasion on the bottom if you're scooting around on rocks or rough logs. The top strap on the granite gear is also a good option. But YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
02-16-2016, 14:41
Generally, it is easiest to attach most ccf pads to the outside of the pack. . . I probably wouldn't attach it to the very front of the back. That makes your profile a little think and could pull weight from your center of gravity.
And my favorite place to attache my z-lite is vertically on "the very front of the back" for several reasons. If positioned correctly, it acts as a bit of a tripod leg so my pack will stand erect on the bottom, using the bottom of the mattress as the "third leg". That way the pack doesn't topple over every time I put it down. Also, the pad is so light that it makes no discernible load shift being placed there. I attach the pad under simple criss-crossed elastic bands so it is super easy to take on and off to provide a nice sit pad/picnicking pad when the ground is wet, cold, rough or whatever. Also, I like the pad not getting shredded if I'm scooting around on rocks or rough logs because the pad sits down so much lower than the bottom of the pack with nothing on it. But then, YMMV. :-?

Studlintsean
02-16-2016, 14:49

I had a question about this a few years ago but I was (and still am) using a Circuit. I normally put the Zlite in the pack vertically on the left side, then I put my trash bag with sleeping bag and clothes in the bottom on the right side. Everything else stacks on top of the trash bag. I have seen others put the Zlite in the side pocket of a ULA packet. Just thought I would offer another suggestion to the two above.

Deadeye
02-17-2016, 12:48

I carry 1/2 a z-lite pad, and in either pack, I pack it vertically on the outside, either under the GG straps or in the front pouch of either pack or under the shock cord of the Catalyst. Kinda depends on the day, but it's always very handy as a lounge pad.

heatherfeather
02-17-2016, 12:51
And my favorite place to attache my z-lite is vertically on "the very front of the back" for several reasons. If positioned correctly, it acts as a bit of a tripod leg so my pack will stand erect on the bottom, using the bottom of the mattress as the "third leg". That way the pack doesn't topple over every time I put it down. Also, the pad is so light that it makes no discernible load shift being placed there. I attach the pad under simple criss-crossed elastic bands so it is super easy to take on and off to provide a nice sit pad/picnicking pad when the ground is wet, cold, rough or whatever. Also, I like the pad not getting shredded if I'm scooting around on rocks or rough logs because the pad sits down so much lower than the bottom of the pack with nothing on it. But then, YMMV. :-?

I'd just rather a ccf pad get worn/shredded than the bottom of my pack. It's a lot easier to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Tom
02-17-2016, 13:18
Thanks for all of this feedback. I was looking at the stats on both packs and it looks like the Catalyst has an internal volume of a bit less than 50 liters (with all of the pockets etc getting counted up to the total size). The Blaze is listed at 60 liters and I think the more mass-produced pack makers count only enclosed spaces (so that would exclude the side and stuff pockets). To those that have use both, does that sound correct, that the Blaze has a larger internal capacity?

Deadeye
02-17-2016, 22:37
Thanks for all of this feedback. I was looking at the stats on both packs and it looks like the Catalyst has an internal volume of a bit less than 50 liters (with all of the pockets etc getting counted up to the total size). The Blaze is listed at 60 liters and I think the more mass-produced pack makers count only enclosed spaces (so that would exclude the side and stuff pockets). To those that have use both, does that sound correct, that the Blaze has a larger internal capacity?

I can't say for sure, since I haven't used that exact pack (the Blaze), but my impression in the store was that the main bag of my catalyst was bigger. I can easily fit all my gear inside, and only water bottles, the z-rest, and a few handy items are in the outside pockets.

slims
02-24-2016, 04:26
The Blaze carries really well. The straps and hip belt have a lot of padding which makes it a very comfortable pack. I think it'll carry heavier loads better than the ULA pack. I've had all my gear, water, 7 days of food and a bear canister in it before and it still felt good. Plus I've got about 3000 miles on it and it's still in good shape. I think it's a great pack.

Deadeye
02-24-2016, 10:10
slims - how did you pack the bear canister? I can pack mine horizontally in the Catalyst, but most packs aren't that wide, so the can is either packed vertically or strapped on top somehow.

colorado_rob
02-24-2016, 12:22
Looks like a great pack, the GG blaze. A couple lady friends of mine did the complete PCT thru last year with them, they loved them. Even though I'm a huge ULA fan, the Catalyst is no real weight savings over the GG.

Kinda cracks me up though, here's REI's headline on the GG blaze:

"This award-winning ultralight pack combines Spartan simplicity with a well-engineered suspension capable of toting 40 lb. loads, so you can save weight while maximizing speed and comfort on the trail."

How is one "saving weight and maximizing speed and comfort" if they are carrying 40 pounds? Please don't (unless it's winter).

Water Rat
02-24-2016, 13:36
Kinda cracks me up though, here's REI's headline on the GG blaze:

"This award-winning ultralight pack combines Spartan simplicity with a well-engineered suspension capable of toting 40 lb. loads, so you can save weight while maximizing speed and comfort on the trail."

How is one "saving weight and maximizing speed and comfort" if they are carrying 40 pounds?

Didn't you know Keds make you run faster, jump higher, your favorite beer will draw all the beautiful people to you, and the REI GG Blaze will make you float down the trail with minimal effort - as if you were a gazelle??? :D

Just Tom
02-24-2016, 17:51
Even though I'm a huge ULA fan, the Catalyst is no real weight savings over the GG.

Hence the compare-and-contrast questions :) They seem really close in many ways, so I was looking for a tie-breaker.

slims
02-24-2016, 19:15
slims - how did you pack the bear canister? I can pack mine horizontally in the Catalyst, but most packs aren't that wide, so the can is either packed vertically or strapped on top somehow.
I had to pack mine vertically which wasn't a problem for me since I didn't have a clothes bag and could just stuff my clothes and a few other things around it to fill in the space. With my gear I always have a lot of extra room in this pack so this wasn't really an issue but if you're already packing it quite full and need to pack a bear can this could be a problem.

This is probably the main difference between the two packs. The Catalyst is wider. The Blaze is nicer for someone like me that's tall and skinny as the narrowness suits my body type and the extra padding on the hip belt is good for bony hips.

Deadeye
02-24-2016, 21:04
thanks, plus a few letters

Just Tom
02-24-2016, 21:18
Well I ended up getting the ULA pack on Massdrop, but I'm still torn. I too am tall and skinny (though getting less skinny by the year it seems). At least if it doesn't fit well it will hold its value for resale.