PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Cove to Damascus with 6-year old Son

Teatime
12-18-2005, 15:17
Thinking about doing this little section with my 6-year old son this Spring, either during his Spring Break or after school lets out. From looking at Data Book, I see it's about 50 miles, which I think we can do in 5 or 6 days. His Spring Break is in late March and I realize the weather can be a big factor at that time. Is it better to hike from Dennis Cove to Damascus or Vice-Versa?
After school lets out in June, we may do a section between Dennis Cove and Erwin. Would love to get input on this as well.
My 6-year old Son is in good shape and very athletic. He has his own backpack (Deuter Fox-30) and will carry most of his own stuff.

weary
12-18-2005, 17:15
Thinking about doing this little section with my 6-year old son this Spring, either during his Spring Break or after school lets out. From looking at Data Book, I see it's about 50 miles, which I think we can do in 5 or 6 days. His Spring Break is in late March and I realize the weather can be a big factor at that time. Is it better to hike from Dennis Cove to Damascus or Vice-Versa?
After school lets out in June, we may do a section between Dennis Cove and Erwin. Would love to get input on this as well.
My 6-year old Son is in good shape and very athletic. He has his own backpack (Deuter Fox-30) and will carry most of his own stuff.
All my kids were backpacking by the age of six. But I always found that more than an occasional 10 mile day was too much. It's not that they couldn't do it. They just got bored and whiney, especially if I interupted their curiosity about things along the trail in the interest of making time. The uncertain March weather is also a reason for minimal mileage goals.

I never scheduled more than five or six mile days, though sometimes we did 10, mostly to reach a shelter with rain threatening. REgardless of the time of day, they rarely passed a shelter without wanting to stay, so we basically went from shelter to shelter.

Cookerhiker
12-18-2005, 18:15
Despite your son being athetic young age notwithstanding, I'd recommend starting at Rt. 321/Hampton and hiking to Damascus. Otherwise, starting at Dennis Cove Rd. means you're starting with your toughest ascent - Pond Flat - the first day, that is if you're hiking northbound. And I believe northbound is preferable because if for no other reason it's cool to end in Damascus. Also northbound starting at Rt. 321 means your first day is around Watauga Artificial Lake; you'll have views within your sight for 7-8 miles. Personally I don't like phony lakes but your son might find it more interesting to see the water as you're making your way.

Another advantage to your proposed route is there are many opportunites to stealth-camp so you're not bound by the shelter spacing.

Hope it works out. Happy Trails!

orangebug
12-18-2005, 19:22
I'd echo that advice to start at US 321. You might do a shake down day hike with your son from 321 back to Dennis Cove, and there is a very neat spring and waterhole near the top with cool newts and such. But a first day starting up Pond Mtn would probably not be so much fun.

Get current info on water north of 321. This section has many water sources that are far from shelters and the trail, down some pretty steep hills.

hustler
12-18-2005, 22:17
I think its great you're taking you son out on the AT. I wish my dad had done that when I was six. I think your choice of trail is excellent for a young hiker.

rainmaker
12-18-2005, 23:46
I agree with Weary. Ten mile days are tough on six year olds.

gsingjane
12-19-2005, 07:58
Sorry if you feel piled on here but.. I also hike with my kids (and other people's kids) and I think 10 mpd with a six year old over 5-6 days is asking too much. Hiking has a mental as well as a physical component, and even if, on a sheerly physical level, a six year old is up to 10 mpd, I don't think 99.9% of kids are mentally up to it.

The object here is for him to like hiking, and being with you, and doing both those things together, on a long-term basis. Take it easier now, so he'll want to go out again later. Doing a Long March with kids is never a way to insure they'll love it in the future, take my word for it.

Jane in CT

weary
12-19-2005, 09:30
Just another quick thought. The important thing for young kids is hours in the outdoors with a parent, and having a fun time. Young kids have no concept of distance. I forget the age when my kids began to think in terms of miles or getting to a specific location. But it was several years beyond six.

They do get bored though, which is why I always allowed plenty of time for them to explore and tried to get them to a shelter fairly early in the day, where new activities took over -- getting water, getting fire wood, building fires (a favorite) and preparing supper.

Through the age of seven or so, we would spend six hours doing 3.5 miles, thus leaving plenty of time for rest stops, long lunches, and exploration of whatever the three kids found interesting.

As I've mentioned in other threads, my wife and I would read the trail signs and discuss the remaining distance. whether 3.7 miles, 5.2 or whatever. The kids took to asking "How many more points?" I never did figure out what they thought a "point" was other than the vague concept that points were somehow related to that something called "time" to reach a shelter or camping place.

Weary

The Solemates
12-19-2005, 11:00
just to restate what others have said....pond flats is difficult, especially with 6-year olds. thats not to say they cant do it though. most kids are resilient. the only other real climb you will have is up to vandeventer coming off the lake. other than that, its an easy cruising stretch. i did it in 2 days last year.

Teatime
12-19-2005, 12:16
I think I will take all the advice and start at U.S. 321. I'm not familiar with this section so thanks for the input. My Son and I hiked to the Calf Mtn. Shelter from Rockfish Gap and back last Spring. He did it easily. We have also hiked from Elk Garden to Mt. Rogers/Thomas Knob Shelter, which was a little more difficult for him but still managable.
We just finished watching TREK together. Yes, my 6-year old son was interested enough to sit there and watch it with me. A good sign, no?
Thanks to everyone for your input. Much appreciated.