PDA

View Full Version : Time and Distance Calculator

TiHiker
02-14-2016, 02:50
I found a nifty calculator last week that allowed you to enter your start date/location and end date/location. Then you had the ability to select your pace on a slider. It then calculated the time to reach designated points along your path as well as the total time and suggested zero/nero days. It seemed to be a good tool for determining how long it would take before next resupply options. My problem is that I accidentally deleted the web page and can't seem to find it again. Anyone know of what I speak and a link to the page?
Thanks!

Ewker
02-14-2016, 12:47
I remember that site and feel like I bookmarked it. Unfortunately I'm not home or will be for a while

4eyedbuzzard
02-14-2016, 12:52
http://www.wikitrail.org/

trpost
02-14-2016, 13:05
I found this site which has a spreadsheet you can download to help in finding your future pace.

http://www.outdoorblueprint.com/read/estimate-your-hiking-travel-time/

TiHiker
02-14-2016, 16:09
Thanks 4eyed...very elegant and will definitely be useful, but not the one I was looking for. The one I saw was simpler with output in a simple matrix format, showing distance and time to each well known measuring point (shelter or road crossing) and then total distances and time on the bottom. Additionally, based on your pace, the beginning point and ending point entered, it showed time to get to next reliable resupply in RED. For me, that was a good first step tool in seeing what part(s) of the trail where I would need to either carry more food or pick up my pace.

TiHiker
02-14-2016, 16:14
Thanks trpost. It looks like an interesting concept with the potential for good use. Seemed "complicated" for this simpleminded guy. Please see reply to 4eyedbuzzard.

mtntopper
02-15-2016, 00:51
Thanks 4eyed...very elegant and will definitely be useful, but not the one I was looking for. The one I saw was simpler with output in a simple matrix format, showing distance and time to each well known measuring point (shelter or road crossing) and then total distances and time on the bottom. Additionally, based on your pace, the beginning point and ending point entered, it showed time to get to next reliable resupply in RED. For me, that was a good first step tool in seeing what part(s) of the trail where I would need to either carry more food or pick up my pace.

Try Postholer.com