PDA

View Full Version : Snow Shoes

ATaBoy
02-14-2016, 11:42
Have given thought to moving up my 2017 thru hike to early March from latter March. Realize that would provide more cold ,ice and snow but the idea of some true winter conditions has some appeal. Realize that would put me in snow shoes. I have pair of Tubbs and a pair of MSR's (that I like a lot) that would suffice. But I have scoped out Northern Lites that "look" great in that if you ever had to take 'em off and tie 'em to the pack that they are not much in the way of added weight and truer still they would be lighter on the feet when on.Would like some feedback on N. Lites with respect to/specific to,
AT trail conditions -any compromise in terms of resilience? Any and all feedback appreciated.

Slo-go'en
02-14-2016, 12:10
The chance that you'd need snowshoes is pretty remote. For snowshoes to be effective there needs to be a lot of snow - at least a foot or more, and that just doesn't happen very often when and where you'll be. About the only place it might happen is in the Smokies. You'd be better off with something for traction on ice, but even needing that will likely be rare if at all given this years weather patterns.

1azarus
02-14-2016, 12:54
I got a pair of northern lites to replace my MSRs, with all the same feelings and rationale that you express. I am very happy with the northern lites and do not regret making the change.

1azarus
02-14-2016, 12:58
...although, I agree with slo go'en... I most likely would leave them home and just bring microspikes if I was heading NOBO in early march. I pretty much hate wearing snow shoes, and bring them on winter hikes when it really looks like I'll need them -- and then I'm happiest when they stay on my back.

George
02-14-2016, 14:58
even for a jan start carrying snowshoes just does not add up, too many better choices for that weight - having a set boxed and ready to quick ship is a logical alternative if conditions would merit(lots of light fluffy snow that is likely to stay around) - might happen in the south once every 20 years

traction devices are more for pre march starts - for early march I would give it 20% chance that it would be: glad I carried it/ wished I carried it

the main logical extra prep for early march is reserve food and a warmer sleep system ( for me a 15F setup would be about right)

bigcranky
02-14-2016, 15:29
I'd bring some sort of traction device for my trail runners, but in March there is no need for snowshoes except in VERY rare circumstances. (And even then, a humongous nor'easter dumping three feet of snow on the Smokies is likely to show up in the NOAA forecast.)

Traveler
02-14-2016, 15:50
I'd bring some sort of traction device for my trail runners, but in March there is no need for snowshoes except in VERY rare circumstances. (And even then, a humongous nor'easter dumping three feet of snow on the Smokies is likely to show up in the NOAA forecast.)

Have to agree with with this assessment. Even if there is 18" that falls over a few days the traffic level in the southern sections of the AT will groom the treadway pretty quickly so only microspikes will likely be needed. If a blockbuster moves towards the AT, it should be known about well in advance so you can get off the trail in time.