PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrators, Bass Pro, Redhead< Excalibur...My experience with a happy ending

Gambit McCrae
02-15-2016, 09:20
I don't really ever post in specific forums mostly just the "General" forum...But this story needs told.

2 Xmas' ago I got a Basspro Redhead 8 (http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-8Tray-Food-Dehydrator/product/1303230601414/)try dehydrator.. It was a big upgrade from what I had and was quite impressed with its capacity.

Long story short on that... I had to return the first one after less then a year due to the heating element going out in it. It decided to go out with $40 of beef in it..of course because it was in use.

I drove all the way to my closest Basspro at the time..150 miles round trip, and exchanged it for a new one.. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I wake up to another $40 of ruined meat and another shot heating element.

After contacting Basspro CS I received a phone call from the GM of the Basspro that I had done the exchange from. he offered me a new dehydrator, and $100 gift card.. I declined. I had already gone thru 2 of these and didn't want the hassle of it again.. Fool me twice kind of thing?..

$170 Dehydrator - $80 in wasted meat - 150 mile travel time + my pain and suffering... =

My request was for him to pay the shipping on the dehydrator that I had in my possession, and in return order the dehydrator of my choice.. while staying realistic on the cost variation.. He bit on it and Saturday my Excalibur 3948 Digital 9 tray dehydrator a (http://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-3948CDB-Dehydrator-Digital-Controller/dp/B0115X5UGE)rrived. I am amazed at this thing.. cook time on first jerky round was reduced 3.5 hours from the old units I have used, and it is very specific in its controls. Just wanted to acknowledge Basspro's efforts to keep a customer satisfied and happy and Excaliburs fine quality product..

Happy ending

WingedMonkey
02-15-2016, 11:10
I would never leave my dehydrator going overnight while I slept.

attroll
02-15-2016, 11:38
I have left my dehydrator going overnight many times and never had a problem with it, just saying.

Puddlefish
02-15-2016, 11:51
I often leave it on overnight, but I'll reconsider doing so if I have something more expensive in it from now on.

atraildreamer
02-15-2016, 13:06
I would never leave my dehydrator going overnight while I slept.

Buy a timer to shut it off when the drying is finished.

tiptoe
02-15-2016, 14:37
I've used an Excalibur for several years, and I almost always run it overnight. That way, I don't have to listen to the whirring hum during the day. A better reason is that often drying takes a little longer than the recommended time. So if instrux call for drying for 8 hours, I can start the batch around 10 or 11 in the evening, check it when I wake up, and adjust accorgingly.

HeartFire
02-15-2016, 15:03
I have a 10 yo Excalibur - still going strong. It gets heavy use for a month or two every year as I get ready for a trip, and sporadically through the rest of the year. I almost always run it over night.

Gambit McCrae
02-15-2016, 15:13
I've used an Excalibur for several years, and I almost always run it overnight. That way, I don't have to listen to the whirring hum during the day. A better reason is that often drying takes a little longer than the recommended time. So if instrux call for drying for 8 hours, I can start the batch around 10 or 11 in the evening, check it when I wake up, and adjust accordingly.

The one I got is a new model and is so freakin quiet I ran it during the day, even talked on the phone right next to it and didn't bother a thing

Rocket Jones
02-16-2016, 09:49
Kudos to BassPro! I "graduated" to an Excalibur a few years ago after using a cheapie round Nesco for almost a decade. Never had a problem with either, but the Excalibur is an amazing step up in quality and ease of use.