PDA

View Full Version : New Budweiser aluminum bottles

Skidsteer
12-18-2005, 20:18
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9595&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

Here are some photos of stoves I've been working on using the new Budweiser aluminum bottles. Not perfect yet, but they make a beautiful, sturdy stove!

Lanthar Mandragoran
12-19-2005, 13:55
I like the one with the spiral cuts (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9593&c=newimages&cutoffdate=1)

jimmyjob
12-19-2005, 14:58
i tried it with those bottles a few months ago and found that it took to long for the fuel to get to peek temp. and besides the aluminum is much heavier than a regular beer cans....

thats what i found at least....

Skidsteer
12-19-2005, 18:03
i tried it with those bottles a few months ago and found that it took to long for the fuel to get to peek temp. and besides the aluminum is much heavier than a regular beer cans....

thats what i found at least....

So far with my tests, all the stoves pictured will boil 2 cups in 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 minutes with @ .6 oz. alcohol. As to the weight of the aluminum, all came in at about .8 to .9 oz. Heavy, yes but for a do-it-yourselfer concerned about durability, they seem pretty tough. I plan on doing some field tests, though. Maybe I'll run over one with the truck, just for grins.:D

betic4lyf
12-20-2005, 00:01
bet the heavier aluminum will allow it to burn more fun fuels, like liter fluid:sun

Skidsteer
12-20-2005, 07:34
bet the heavier aluminum will allow it to burn more fun fuels, like liter fluid:sun

Yes, I tried that, too, and it works about as effecient as denatured. It soots up your stove, though.

betic4lyf
12-20-2005, 17:26
i bet whitegas/coleman/whatever, would work well to

kdholmwood
12-20-2005, 18:54
White gas or anything similar would be very dangerous in a stove designed for alcohol.

betic4lyf
12-21-2005, 18:08
obviously not a pyro...:rolleyes:

Skidsteer
12-21-2005, 18:49
obviously not a pyro...:rolleyes:

Well, but He's right. I wouldn't want to have to change my trailname from " Skidsteer " to " Skinseared ":D

IdahoDavid
12-22-2005, 17:00
I experimented with the Bud bottles, too. I found the best use for them to be a quick water boiler. I use it in conjunction with my pepsi can stove, I have a tin can with the bottom and top cut out and place the bud bottle inside this on the stove. The heat rises up through the can like a chimney and gives maximum heating surface up the sides of the bottle. I have a bit of clothes hanger bent around the top for a handle. Works fast, similar to the volcano waer heaters from England.

Skidsteer
12-22-2005, 23:43
I experimented with the Bud bottles, too. I found the best use for them to be a quick water boiler. I use it in conjunction with my pepsi can stove, I have a tin can with the bottom and top cut out and place the bud bottle inside this on the stove. The heat rises up through the can like a chimney and gives maximum heating surface up the sides of the bottle. I have a bit of clothes hanger bent around the top for a handle. Works fast, similar to the volcano waer heaters from England.

Can you, if convenient, post some pictures of this? Thanks.

Burn
12-23-2005, 11:50
i like this idea....it may be just what i need. my pepsi can stove finally bit the dust after using yellow HEAT for prolonged periods of time on trail. the metal seemed to thin out due to excessive temps...a theory any ways...it just bent, but i continued to use it for a month. the thicker metal may just be the trick.

i usually cook 2 or 3 times a day....including the coffee or hot choc, even in spring/summer...if friends are around, they usually want coffee too so that may make it 4-5 times a day ...my guess above average use

Chef2000
12-23-2005, 14:34
The beer is really cold and goes down so smoooth, can not wait to the hot climb up Kilington this summer then going into the restaurant and drink about a dozen of them.

Skidsteer
12-23-2005, 21:33
i like this idea....it may be just what i need. my pepsi can stove finally bit the dust after using yellow HEAT for prolonged periods of time on trail. the metal seemed to thin out due to excessive temps...a theory any ways...it just bent, but i continued to use it for a month. the thicker metal may just be the trick.

i usually cook 2 or 3 times a day....including the coffee or hot choc, even in spring/summer...if friends are around, they usually want coffee too so that may make it 4-5 times a day ...my guess above average use

So far they seem to be more effecient than pepsi can stoves but less effecient than Ion or cat stoves. The big advantage of this material is, in my opinion, the possible durability. If that is important to you, you might want to play around with them. Good luck and please share you experiences. It will help us all.

Patrick
12-29-2005, 16:29
What happens when you use white gas in an alcohol stove? Does it just overheat and melt the metal? I had a wedding tin stove melt with one of my designs and another exploded, but both were using alcohol.

Alligator
12-29-2005, 16:58
Fireball, Fireball, Fireball!

Patrick
12-29-2005, 17:20
Alligator,

You know that post is trouble. I must have 25 alkie stoves at home in my gear box and something like that is only going to make me rush home, dump a few ounces of Coleman into one, and fire it up.

Actually, my fireworks cache is starting to get low. This might be just the way to celebrate the New Year...

Alligator
12-29-2005, 17:49
In all seriousness, I don't recommend it at all.
BUT if you must, use long wooden matches, an eye dropper, and start small.

And since one of your alky stoves exploded, consider a blast shield too!

Patrick
12-29-2005, 18:40
Oh, I must. As soon as I dig up my blast shield, it's go time.

Burn
12-29-2005, 20:31
see, i think the properties of denatured alcohol will give equal burn times for equal amounts of fuel. reason i believe this is, @ miss janet's we tested something like 15 different kinds of stoves with what appeared to be equalamounts of alcohol. (1 shot glass) burn times were within 10 seconds from worst burn time to best burn time....the boil time was a tad different, but in retrospect, there was no significant difference that would spoil or make a hike...everyone who made it that far still had their baby fat for hikers.

only one stove burnt a few seconds longer than Miss Janet's personal design, but she probably added 3 cc's more fuel to her shot glass

we started to spark interest in many hikers who had never built a pepsi can stove...one fella's design did not light well and appeared to never fire...which was incorrect...thus causing the ignition of a fuel gallon can of denatured that shot fumes and flames 15 ft or more...Bam Bam's girl friend kinda liked his hairless legs tho...hehehe

Skidsteer
12-29-2005, 23:16
Oh, I must. As soon as I dig up my blast shield, it's go time.

Please, by all means, post the results( for scientific purposes, of course ).:D . If you don't post right away, we'll understand:D .

Patrick
12-30-2005, 19:29
Have you tried an Ion stove? It burns forever. If you don't have a pot on it, it'll burn for more than twenty minutes on 15 ml. With the pot on (creating the back pressure) it'll still burn for around fifteen minutes.

Also, stove diameter can matter. I made a SuperCat with a small cat food can and a very similar design using a wedding tin. The wedding tin stove burns for about two or three minutes longer on 15 ml, although both will bring a pint of water to almost boiling.

Skid, I'll be firing it up within the hour. I've got my camera ready.

Skidsteer
12-30-2005, 19:46
Skid, I'll be firing it up within the hour. I've got my camera ready.

I love anticipation. Careful with the camera!

TDale
12-30-2005, 22:19

Not to alarm anyone, but those bottles have a heat-releasable coating inside them that's not exactly good for ya'. I work in aluminum recycling and we cook it off when we recycle cans. We spend major money to keep those fumes out of the air. I have no idea how you would get it out of there at home.

betic4lyf
12-31-2005, 14:01
if you keep water in it, it should never get higher than 212 f

strnorm
12-31-2005, 20:37
I made a stove today with the large Foster 24oz beer cans, just test fired it tonite with heet yellow bottle, talk about a fire .man oh man, oy yea the 48oz of foster beer was good also

smokymtnsteve
12-31-2005, 21:17
attention moderator

this thread should be moved to the pyromaniacs forum :jump