PDA

View Full Version : Best large pad?

wornoutboots
02-15-2016, 12:44
With things changing so quickly in backpacking gear, what it the best 3"-3.5" sleeping pad on the market these days?

HooKooDooKu
02-15-2016, 13:22
Are you looking for a sleeping pad that is 3"-3.5" thick? For backpacking? The only pads I can think that are going to be that thick are going to be pads designed with front country camping in mind.

Otherwise, for back packing, I'm only familiar with pads that are 2" to 2.5" thick.

IMHO, the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir still leads the pack. For a given R-Value and size, the NeoAir is going to be the lightest weight option available. But they are also going to be the most expensive (but then that is why they are the most expensive).

Hosh
02-15-2016, 13:33
Big Agnes has 3 or 4 models of pads ranging from 3.5 to 4" thick. I have 2 Q-Core SL in 25" width. They are very comfortable, easy to inflate/deflate and BA has great service/warranty.
The 20" Q-Core SL's run very narrow more like 17 to 18" inflated.

I have thought about the Insulated Double Z, it's an interesting approach.

Exped also makes thicker pads, I had some de-laminate, and returned them to REI. Nemo is another source, but tend to be really heavy

swisscross
Ran into a hiker that was using one of these a few weeks ago.
He was sporting the XL. Thing was huge.
Seemed he slept well.
Said he was a 2 time AT thru and a PCT thru...after walking that much an extra pound might not be a big deal.

Sure looked comfy.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/neoair-camper/product

sparky2000
Are u a side or back or belly sleeper. The choice will influence ur choice.

damskipi
02-15-2016, 13:35
I really like the Big Agnes Q-Core SL Insulated. So much that I've bought two (one is for sale if you are interested). 3.5 in thick, 4.5 R-value, 19.2 oz verified weight for the 78" long regular (not mummy). Some people don't like that the outer baffles are larger, but I appreciate the cradling feeling because it keeps me on the pad instead of rolling off :D

LIhikers
02-15-2016, 13:37
Please define what you mean by BEST so that we can steer you in the right direction.

DuneElliot
02-15-2016, 13:39
When I was doing all my research for pads, tents and sleep system I wasn't finding anything lightweight that was over 2.5" thick. Believe me, I would have been interested too since I value a good night's sleep more than almost anything.

I finally settled on the 2.5" Klymit Static V insulated pad. It's heavier than the other recommendations at 19oz but also wider and slightly heavier-duty fabric which was important to me due to the risk of pinholes and punctures, and insulated because I'm a cold sleeper.

Hosh
02-15-2016, 18:55
Comfort was a big issue in getting the 25" Q-core SL. I sleep on my side so the extra thickness allows for releasing air to get a comfortable contour yet not allowing the hip to touch the ground. It's heavier at 23 ounces, but well suited for use with quilts and my sleeping style.

I do like the V shaped pattern on the Klymit and it is a bit wider than a conventional 20" pad.

My daughter has an Air Core mummy that's 20 ounces, but she's a back sleeper using a BA sleeping bag. She could probably get away with a 2" pad, but I think the extra thickness has got her spoiled.

When I was younger, I could sleep on an 1/2" closed cell foam pad. If I did that now, not sure I could get up.

A good night's rest is pretty key for a successful trip.

Cotton Terry
02-15-2016, 19:02
I prefer ccf, but am using an inflatable for the cold weather portions of my hike. I am also a side sleeper and am liking the Big Agnes 20" wide Q-Core SL mummy with my Big Agnes Zirkel UL20 bag.

Sethern
02-15-2016, 20:56
I fell in love with the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus. Not for the gram counters that is for sure But I have never got a better nights sleep with any other pad. The water bed effect of other pads make it hard for me to sleep and I have never been a fan of closed cell foam pads as a side sleeper and when it gets cold I like the 5 R-value. Also I think its only 2" or 2.5".

SWODaddy
02-15-2016, 21:07
I fell in love with the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus. Not for the gram counters that is for sure But I have never got a better nights sleep with any other pad. The water bed effect of other pads make it hard for me to sleep and I have never been a fan of closed cell foam pads as a side sleeper and when it gets cold I like the 5 R-value. Also I think its only 2" or 2.5".

Ditto. I have one and it's incredible. Dual chambers, only 2.5" thick but you'll never touch the ground. Go-to mat for shorter trips.

squeezebox
02-15-2016, 21:14
I went from the therma rest Xtherm to the xlit because on the noise. Below freezing I'll bring a CCF pad also.

Sethern
02-15-2016, 21:22
Ditto. I have one and it's incredible. Dual chambers, only 2.5" thick but you'll never touch the ground. Go-to mat for shorter trips.
That is what I said when I first got it. (Short trips only.) But I cut an extra 15 oz from my base weight to make up for the pad and will be taking it on my thru-hike. My full pack weight with food and water for 5 days is 30 lbs. If I replace the pad it would only take me down to 29 lbs 1 oz. I can live with the extra 15 oz. But then I am not an ultra lightweight hiker in the first place. But for sure there are pads that weigh a lot less. I guess its one of my luxury items.

Venchka
02-15-2016, 22:55
Broken Record # 857:
2014 model.
NeoAir.
Xtherm.
Large.
150 pounds.
Side sleeper.
3 months total use.
2 months continuous use.
Toasty warm at 25 F.
Comfortable from upper 60 F to upper 70 F range.
SILENT. REPEAT. SILENT. I've tried to get the Xtherm to make a sound. Rolled from side to side repeatedly. SILENCE.
The best sleep I've ever had on the ground. Rivals my bed at home.
For me, the Xtherm Large is the Best.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Hosh
02-15-2016, 23:26
They do look pretty cool, the dual chamber is a nice feature in the event of a leak. Good to hear they do well for side sleeping. One of the things I like about the Q-Core SL is the quilted design, the StS looks very similar

High Mileage
02-15-2016, 23:56
I'm a side sleeper and have tried alot of pads and the Neo air lite large with 3.2 R value does the job well.
I don't wake up feeling like a mallet smashed my hip bone in the morning. Not the cheapest option but at 1 lb it's really nice to have.

wornoutboots
02-16-2016, 12:44
I'm a side sleeper & have been carrying a therma rest "pro-lite" since they came out. I'm a Lasher so I need something light, but want a more comfortable loft than the current 1.5" pad I use.

wornoutboots
02-16-2016, 12:50
Also I need one that's NOT crinkly!! Nothing more annoying than a LOUD pad!!

Venchka
02-16-2016, 14:41
Also I need one that's NOT crinkly!! Nothing more annoying than a LOUD pad!!

Read my post #15 RE: SILENT Xtherm Large.

Wayne

Hosh
02-16-2016, 16:20
Outdoor Gear Lab's testing stated that some of the tester found the Xtherm "sounded crinkly". Probably not a big issue for some, but certainly not silent for everyone.

wornoutboots
02-16-2016, 16:23

Wayne

Thanks,...got it!! I plan on pulling the trigger on the new one

Casey & Gina
02-16-2016, 18:40

Wayne

I was at an REI Saturday. They had the new NeoAir XLite Max SV in stock, along with an XTherm. I could tell that BOTH were rather crinkly just pressing on them rolled up in the package. There was an XLite Max SV display model out that I played around with and it was really crinkly as anticipated from poking the packed ones. So it seems that the 2016 models are back to being really noisy. I had not even seen a noisy XLite before but this one was identical in noisiness to the new XTherm - I wouldn't like to spend a night on either. The yellow color is significantly lighter on the XLite and the XTherm looks like it has glitter paint now instead of the more subdued grey I seem to remember seeing before. Since the SV is brand new and the XTherm appearance has changed, there's no doubt in my mind that these were both the latest models I was looking at.

The SV is a neat trick and indeed blew up in lightning speed when I tried. My wife couldn't blow fast enough for it to be effective though. The rolltop made me a bit uneasy - I'd probably stick with just a standard valve if I were to buy one.

Hold on to that silent XTherm, who knows when you'll find another!

Venchka
02-16-2016, 21:28
Thanks. Will do. 2014 was a magic year.

Wayne

heatherfeather
02-16-2016, 21:47
I was at an REI Saturday. They had the new NeoAir XLite Max SV in stock, along with an XTherm. I could tell that BOTH were rather crinkly just pressing on them rolled up in the package. There was an XLite Max SV display model out that I played around with and it was really crinkly as anticipated from poking the packed ones. So it seems that the 2016 models are back to being really noisy. I had not even seen a noisy XLite before but this one was identical in noisiness to the new XTherm - I wouldn't like to spend a night on either. The yellow color is significantly lighter on the XLite and the XTherm looks like it has glitter paint now instead of the more subdued grey I seem to remember seeing before. Since the SV is brand new and the XTherm appearance has changed, there's no doubt in my mind that these were both the latest models I was looking at.

The SV is a neat trick and indeed blew up in lightning speed when I tried. My wife couldn't blow fast enough for it to be effective though. The rolltop made me a bit uneasy - I'd probably stick with just a standard valve if I were to buy one.

Hold on to that silent XTherm, who knows when you'll find another!

Yep, do not trust the toll top closure. It's very fussy. I tried one for a weekend trip in Joshua tree. I had to wake up and re-roll it and/or reinflate every couple hours. That damn thing went back as soon as I could find an rei.

On the other hand, I really don't understand why people are so bothers about the noise. I usually wake up before I roll over anyway. And you can always wear earplugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
02-16-2016, 22:04
My test for sounds from my Xtherm:
Gently inflated for a perfect nights sleep.
No sleeping bag.
Lie on my back.
Roll from side to side.
Listen for sounds.
No sounds.
Maybe the extra width performs some voodoo magic? No clue.
This really is a mystery.
If I were trying one in a store, I would put a sleeping bag over the pad to see if that muffled the sound.

Wayne

Hosh
02-16-2016, 23:28
Thanks. Will do. 2014 was a magic year.

Wayne

Make sure you store it on it's side in a temperature controlled room

Venchka
02-16-2016, 23:52
Grinning. It is. Thanks for checking.

Wayne

Casey & Gina
02-17-2016, 11:43
On the other hand, I really don't understand why people are so bothers about the noise. I usually wake up before I roll over anyway. And you can always wear earplugs.

Earplugs don't make for a comfortable night's sleep - I find that they make one's ears sore after prolonged use so wouldn't want to sleep with them in. I also think it's important to be able to hear things outside in general. I barely wake up and roll over throughout the night - a crinkly pad would make me wake up to a greater degree, and not be able to slip as easily back into sleep. And while, sure, it's not the biggest deal and you can get used to it, it's hard to advocate when there are tons of silent pads on the market, and apparently, Therm-a-Rest knows how to make them too as they did in the past - just wish they'd go back to it even if it meant an extra ounce or something. I'd also kind of prefer not to bother others in close proximity every time I roll over even if it doesn't bother me.

Casey & Gina
02-17-2016, 11:43
Make sure you store it on it's side in a temperature controlled room

Why's that?

Hosh
02-17-2016, 11:47
It keeps the cork moist and expanded, you should rotate it every 6 months or so.

heatherfeather
02-17-2016, 12:40
Earplugs don't make for a comfortable night's sleep - I find that they make one's ears sore after prolonged use so wouldn't want to sleep with them in. I also think it's important to be able to hear things outside in general. I barely wake up and roll over throughout the night - a crinkly pad would make me wake up to a greater degree, and not be able to slip as easily back into sleep. And while, sure, it's not the biggest deal and you can get used to it, it's hard to advocate when there are tons of silent pads on the market, and apparently, Therm-a-Rest knows how to make them too as they did in the past - just wish they'd go back to it even if it meant an extra ounce or something. I'd also kind of prefer not to bother others in close proximity every time I roll over even if it doesn't bother me.

Out of curiosity, have you ever actually spent the night on an xlite? I had misgivings before I bought it, but it is so light and reasonably comfortable I decided to take the leap. And the noise really was not as big a problem as it is often made out to be. And while there are quieter pads out there, there is nothing that combines lightness, durablility, and comfort the same way. I have been through an ungodly number of pads in the last couple years, always hoping to find something better. But I keep going back to it. My other setup of choice is a torso-length inflatable under a 1/2" ccf pad. The only reason I use that setup is that I like the reduced inflation time. That setup is 2 ounces heavier than the xlite regular, and slightly more comfortable (to me, not all might agree), but then I have the bulk of the ccf pad on the outside of my pack.

And a note on earplugs. I have teeny tiny ear canals. I have found these to be much more comfortable than any other earplug. http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max-small

If I do not wear earplugs, I wake up quite frequently at little noises. I can still hear loud things, but it takes out the little cracklings a and rustlings, which are not something I feel like I need to be awake for. Haven't been trampled by a moose or eaten by a bear yet.

heatherfeather
02-17-2016, 12:44
And I have not had any complaints from people sharing a tent with me on my xlite. In fact my boyfriend and another friend I also backpack with are both planning on buying one for themselves.

Casey & Gina
02-17-2016, 13:50
It keeps the cork moist and expanded, you should rotate it every 6 months or so.

Ahh... :)

Casey & Gina
02-17-2016, 14:04
Out of curiosity, have you ever actually spent the night on an xlite?

Yes, but only the silent ones. The ones in the store, I'd just never consider buying...

[quote]And while there are quieter pads out there, there is nothing that combines lightness, durablility, and comfort the same way.

...that is, except for certain vintage NeoAirs!

My other setup of choice is a torso-length inflatable under a 1/2" ccf pad. The only reason I use that setup is that I like the reduced inflation time. That setup is 2 ounces heavier than the xlite regular, and slightly more comfortable (to me, not all might agree), but then I have the bulk of the ccf pad on the outside of my pack.

Perhaps the CCF pad on top reduces the effect of the short pad dropoff...we found using short XLites alone to be pretty uncomfortable. It could be made better by putting our packs under our legs but then that made side sleeping very awkward/difficult and somehow a bite valve got squished and turned the inside of our tent into a swimming pool. So, I'll take the extra ounces for a full pad, haha. Also, our situation is somewhat unique because there are three of us sharing the width of two large pads and a quilt...it just works out better than separate arrangements. As for bulk, we carry 25"x77" CCF pads, 4 of them in the winter, so I know all about bulk! 20" wide CCF pads are a lot more manageable, particularly if you only carry one. That said, we will likely switch to inflatables for a long-distance hike simply so I could not have to deal with all the bulk.

And a note on earplugs. I have teeny tiny ear canals. I have found these to be much more comfortable than any other earplug. http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max-small

If I do not wear earplugs, I wake up quite frequently at little noises. I can still hear loud things, but it takes out the little cracklings a and rustlings, which are not something I feel like I need to be awake for. Haven't been trampled by a moose or eaten by a bear yet.

Hehe, I'm not worried about being eaten, but I'd like to have a look if I can. Or hear some small critters having a go at my pack. I generally sleep fairly light and like to maintain a sense of awareness in general.