PDA

View Full Version : Scenic 7-10 day backpacking trips in SE??

cuiquentin
02-16-2016, 01:55
Hi, all,

Looking for (preferably) scenic 7-10 day backpacking trails to do during the summer in the southeast (GA, AL, Carolinas, TN, maybe even states that border the previous states if it's an especially good trip). Can be loops, can be section hikes, can be its own trail, can go off trail and cross towns, can be almost anything! Looking to hike around 20 miles/day, so maybe a total distance of around 150 miles. Shuttling recommendations and advice are also appreciated! Thanks!

Rain Man
02-16-2016, 11:20
You're from Miami, Florida? Sure you can do 20 miles a day in the Appalachian mountains? You don't mention your experience level of doing that.

I would mention the Foothills Trail in SC, which has a spur making the total somewhere close to 90 miles I think, and which can also be combined with other trails.

swisscross
02-16-2016, 12:42
US64 -Winding stair to I40 through the Smokies.
A little shorter at 130 miles but enjoyable.

AlyontheAT2016
02-16-2016, 13:10
Google the Linville Gorge Wilderness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuiquentin
02-16-2016, 15:48
I'm a student at UF in Gainesville, and have backpacked for weekend trips (no longer than four days at a time), so am looking for a longer trip during the summer.

egilbe
02-16-2016, 16:29
I'm a student at UF in Gainesville, and have backpacked for weekend trips (no longer than four days at a time), so am looking for a longer trip during the summer.

Try shooting for an extended weekend trip of 10 to 15 miles a day before starting off with 20 mile days.

and as Rainman mentioned, have you climbed any hills? Or several in a day?

Rain Man
02-16-2016, 19:58
Art Loeb Trail. Citico Creek Wilderness. Slickrock Creek Wilderness.

NoSew
02-16-2016, 22:34
Start at dicks creek gap in GA, then hike North on the AT until you need to get home, you can arrange a shuttle from the trail wherever you decide to stop, this is a great section

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

evan_rolltide
02-16-2016, 22:34
Foothills Trail is pretty nice. After that you could swing by Asheville or the US National Whitewater Center to add a little timne to your trip

MuddyWaters
02-16-2016, 23:35
Whats your definition of scenic? 1 or 2 views per day? Because thats about all you get in dense southeastern forest.
I really doubt you will do 7 20 mile days in a row. I doubt you will do 7 15 mile days in a row. I expect you need to turn down your expectations a notch or two for distance. Maybe plan 100 miles or so.

From a logistics standpoint, there would be nothing easier than the AT. From winding stair gap (mile 110) to Davenport Gap (238) is the highest elevation and some of most scenic including the GSMNP. 128 miles, doable in 9 days for sure with a day off at Fontana or such to resupply and rest.

Mr. Bumpy
02-17-2016, 12:50
Damascus loop using Iron Mountain Trail to Grayson Highlands and return on the AT is a great summer time hike and easy logistically.

Last Call
02-17-2016, 14:00
Sipsey Wilderness in the Bankhead National Forest, in Northwest Alabama, is outstanding....

Bear Bag
02-17-2016, 14:21
Bartram Trail/Appalachian Trail loop beginning and ending at the Nantahala Outdoor Center.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/viewtrip/60410

Lyle
02-17-2016, 18:47
Didn't see the Sheltowee Trace mentioned yet. Mostly beautiful trail starting on northern TN boarder with KY. Runs north through Cumberland falls across KY.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/dbnf/specialplaces?cid=stelprdb5345386

cuiquentin
02-17-2016, 20:03
@muddywaters, I've done 20 miles days before, including Art Loeb, Duncan Ridge, and the FT in Big Cypress (which includes 1 mph sections of marl and knee deep water). You're probably right; I most likely won't be able to manage 20 miles/day, but that's the goal. 15 at least. But no need to condescend; not sure why you doubt...

cuiquentin
02-17-2016, 20:13
@muddywaters sorry for the snarky response; i'm by no means of the imagination an "experienced" hiker, but i know how to backpack and expect myself to manage at least 15 miles per day (simply because i've done it before)

Slo-go'en
02-17-2016, 20:41
Damascus loop using Iron Mountain Trail to Grayson Highlands and return on the AT is a great summer time hike and easy logistically.

I was going to suggest this. You can start at Marion, VA and loop back.

Skyline
02-18-2016, 01:18
Foothills Trail is pretty nice. After that you could swing by Asheville or the US National Whitewater Center to add a little timne to your trip

I would second (third?) the Foothills Trail EXCEPT you said it would be summer. The FHT spends about 2/3 of its route at relatively low elevation, near a lot of water. If you like hanging out in a sauna, you'll love the FHT in summer. But in Spring, Fall, (and for some, Winter) it's a great place to be. YMMV.

MuddyWaters
02-18-2016, 08:23
@muddywaters sorry for the snarky response; i'm by no means of the imagination an "experienced" hiker, but i know how to backpack and expect myself to manage at least 15 miles per day (simply because i've done it before)

Big difference between hiking 20 miles, and doing multiple days in a row of that in ga/tn on the AT. It arent flat.

Most people cant do it
Many of those that can, dont want to
Good way to injure yourself too if not used to it
If you think its for you, go for it

MuddyWaters
02-18-2016, 08:23
Double post