PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic ... need previous thru-hikers opinions on where and when

Brewerbob
02-16-2016, 12:32
I don't know how to search the forum for similar topics without getting eleventy billion threads...

So, there's no chance in hell that I'll make the Class of '16 as a thru hiker. Putting it off until '17 where it will happen come hell or high water. The next best way to meet all of the retards that are the Class of '16 is to provide trail magic. I live in Baltimore, the gf in Harrisburg. For those on Appalachian Trials on Facebook, I've already asked this question but figured the more input the better. Assuming MD or PA, where would be the best place to set up? So far the consensus (of about 2 or 3 people) is somewhere on the northern end of the PA trail. Where did WV, MD, PA beat you up the most? Where did you need trail magic and not find any?

I don't mind hiking a few miles in from a cross road. I don't mind a drive of a few hours. I was originally thinking as far from a shelter as possible but a shelter would be less impact and a place people can relax without sitting on misshapen rocks. The furthest from a trail town and most unexpected is what I'm looking for.

Another question would be ... when? It'll have to be weekends as I'll still be a working slob but when do NOBO, SOBO, and Flip-Flops start arriving at your suggested location en masse?

Costco dogs are 1) good 2) cheap 3) and most importantly 1/4 lb each. A few bags of oranges, few of grapes maybe. I may get as fancy as actually making something (brownies, cookies, etc). Oh and of course a cooler full of sodas, gatoraides and whatnot.

Just Bill
02-16-2016, 14:21
I did an extensive search for you;
Probably the best possible place on the whole trail to do magic is at this location- http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/volunteer

Good, cheap, and most importantly at a 1/4 mile each trip all the retards* will really appreciate true magic. The trail has enough magicians.;)

*I know you were joking.

4eyedbuzzard
02-16-2016, 14:31
The next best way to meet all of the retards that are the Class of '16 is to provide trail magic. Not all of them are retards. Only about 25% per ATC.
Another question would be ... when? Likely in late May thru June and even early July. You'll have to wait for them. Be patient. 'Cause they're slow.

The Cleaner
02-16-2016, 14:49
Some folks these days take offense when you say "retard". The PC term is "Intellectual or Developmental Disability"...just sayin':(

Studlintsean
02-16-2016, 14:53
Some folks these days take offense when you say "retard". The PC term is "Intellectual or Developmental Disability"...just sayin':(

Agree 100%.

Sarcasm the elf
02-16-2016, 15:02

Yes, and "retard" was originally the polite word that was used as a replacement when it was decided that "Imbicile" was offensive. Both were actual academic terms, neither was intended to be derogatory when they were introduced. Thirty years from now people will be telling us that "Intellectual or Developmental Disability" is offensive and will provide us with a newer politically correct term to use. So it goes.

Brewerbob
02-16-2016, 15:48
Yes, and "retard" was originally the polite word that was used as a replacement when it was decided that "Imbicile" was offensive. Both were actual academic terms, neither was intended to be derogatory when they were introduced. Thirty years from now people will be telling us that "Intellectual or Developmental Disability" is offensive and will provide us with a newer politically correct term to use. So it goes.

Until then, I'll stick with retard. Anyone that is going to walk 2200 miles in the woods is pretty retarded, myself included. Also pretty sure that if you went looking for reasons a person could be committed to a insane asylum AGAINST their will, walking in the rain, walking in the woods alone, talking to one's self, etc. were all covered. You know, looking and acting like a thru hiker.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2016, 15:53
a thru-hike is no big deal so quit using the word retarded to describe walking

Brewerbob
02-16-2016, 15:57
I did an extensive search for you;
Probably the best possible place on the whole trail to do magic is at this location- http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/volunteerSmartass!! :sun

On a serious note, that's all trail maintenance and the like. I didn't see anything (only a quick glance) on providing trail magic. Did I miss something?

I'm actually looking to be away from wherever the clubs will set up. I would imagine they have the cross roads and parking lots covered. I want something like an especially brutal summit/descent, an extra special boulder field, ... something really nasty where a cold drink would really help.

Good, cheap, and most importantly at a 1/4 mile each trip all the retards* will really appreciate true magic. The trail has enough magicians.;)

*I know you were joking.Little bit of a misquote there Sparky!!

Anywho, how the hell can people get upset by something as mild as that and still claim to use the internet on a regular basis?!? I say if that was your biggest disappointment today, then your day was pretty damn good!!

RollTide
02-16-2016, 16:12
Not all of them are retards. Only about 25% per ATC. Likely in late May thru June and even early July. You'll have to wait for them. Be patient. 'Cause they're slow.

Watch your microaggressions bro

Puddlefish
02-16-2016, 16:12
In the interest of not rehashing everything, take a look at this thread for all sorts of opinions on trail magic. Somewhere in that thread is the official ATC policy as well.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/116632-Hiker-feed-issues

I blathered on more than my share in that thread, but if you can't thru hike, just get out on the trail without the cash and prizes and talk to those who are interested in talking. Some of us don't need to be bribed to talk to other people.

Tuckahoe
02-16-2016, 16:20
Rather than a hiker feed sort if thing, who not meet thurs at a point along the trail where they could use a shuttle and offer rides? Such as Pine Grove Furnace.

squeezebox
02-16-2016, 16:40
Buy a shovel and an ax, Instead of food.

Brewerbob
02-16-2016, 16:51
Watch your microaggressions broI've seen estimates as high as 30% are retarded enough to finish. Seems to be getting higher and higher as the yrs go by. That begs the question of ... Is the trail getting easier or are they building better retards these days?

In the interest of not rehashing everything, take a look at this thread for all sorts of opinions on trail magic. Somewhere in that thread is the official ATC policy as well.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/116632-Hiker-feed-issues

I blathered on more than my share in that thread, but if you can't thru hike, just get out on the trail without the cash and prizes and talk to those who are interested in talking. Some of us don't need to be bribed to talk to other people.Wait, I'm supposed to talk to the thru hikers? They smell funny.

I'll check the link. Thx!!

Rather than a hiker feed sort if thing, who not meet thurs at a point along the trail where they could use a shuttle and offer rides? Such as Pine Grove Furnace.Not sure what's going on there. I could do shuttle rides I suppose. I did just buy a station wagon. If that thurs was meant to be Thursday or week days in general, that wouldn't work so well. Earliest I could start to shuttle would be 6pm or later.

Buy a shovel and an ax, Instead of food.I have multiples of both already. My chainsaw died tho. I could do a weekend thing for trail maintenance prior to busy traffic time.

Puddlefish
02-16-2016, 16:55
Wild guess that "thurs" was an autocorrect from "them."

Tuckahoe
02-16-2016, 17:05
Well damnit! It should be "why not meet thrus" as in plural thru. Combination fat fingers and auto correct.

Brewerbob
02-16-2016, 17:36
Well damnit! It should be "why not meet thrus" as in plural thru. Combination fat fingers and auto correct.
Lol, that makes a little more sense. Shuttling would help 4 or 5 at a time times. Soda and water somewhere would help out more.

The Cleaner
02-16-2016, 17:41
a thru-hike is no big deal so quit using the word retarded to describe walking and Lone Wolf scores again:rolleyes:

Brewerbob
02-16-2016, 17:50
and Lone Wolf scores again:rolleyes:
There are a bunch of crotchety old farts in here (Whiteblazes as a whole). Wasn't sure how to take that reply.

Traveler
02-16-2016, 18:20
I've seen estimates as high as 30% are retarded enough to finish. Seems to be getting higher and higher as the yrs go by. That begs the question of ... Is the trail getting easier or are they building better retards these days?

Don't think the trail itself is getting easier, could be douche bags* feeding people keep them in the game a little longer.

*said with much mirth :D

Just Bill
02-16-2016, 18:26
On a serious note, that's all trail maintenance and the like. I didn't see anything (only a quick glance) on providing trail magic. Did I miss something?

Yes.......

Sarcasm the elf
02-16-2016, 19:12
Yes.......

That is by far the shortest comment you've ever posted. :D

High Mileage
02-16-2016, 19:13
Join the class of 2016 FB and you can pretty much ask where everyone is at and actually ask them. This will ensure you know when they are coming through.
Port Clinton has a little spot for everyone to set up camp for free, it's a good spot for sure.

High Mileage
02-16-2016, 19:55
As far as the 30% finish rate I think it's due to the new tread pattern used to get around.
It appears that Goodyear,Firestone,Bridgestones, ect are becoming a popular choice for mileage. It's pretty common and I find it weird to claim the hike after skipping whole states for some.

evyck da fleet
02-17-2016, 00:00
Well the southern end of the state has PenMar Caledonia and Pine Grove parks so there are plenty of opportunities for thrus to yogi food. The rest of the state has plenty of delis and towns on the trail so hiker feeds aren't really necessary.

WV MD and PA are pretty easy. While I was happy to come across a hiker feed in PA on my thru, I would have liked it more had someone taken the time to volunteer to cut back the prickers and tall grass so I didn't have to stop to pick ticks off me between Lehigh and Delaware Water Gaps.

I know that's not the answer you're looking for but there were plenty of hiker feeds in the south. Any reason in particular who want a hiker feed instead of trail maintenance? Some of us will actually stop to talk to day hikers, trailrunners and maintainers. The mid-Atlantic is a pretty boring section of trail.

Brewerbob
02-17-2016, 08:05
Don't think the trail itself is getting easier, could be douche bags* feeding people keep them in the game a little longer.

*said with much mirth :D

If you make it to PA from either SOBO or NOBO, you deserve a hot dog. Now if you're a flip flopper, you just keep right on walking. No hot dog for joo.

Puddlefish
02-17-2016, 09:09
You asked, you were answered, you ignored the answers, just do what you please I guess.

Here's the ATC suggestions. https://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/suggestions-for-providing-trail-magic.pdf

Brewerbob
02-17-2016, 09:21
Join the class of 2016 FB and you can pretty much ask where everyone is at and actually ask them. This will ensure you know when they are coming through.
Port Clinton has a little spot for everyone to set up camp for free, it's a good spot for sure.

I'm on FB with the Appalachian Trials Class of '16 group. You're referring to a Whiteblazes group?

Thx!!

Brewerbob
02-17-2016, 09:31
As far as the 30% finish rate I think it's due to the new tread pattern used to get around.
It appears that Goodyear,Firestone,Bridgestones, ect are becoming a popular choice for mileage. It's pretty common and I find it weird to claim the hike after skipping whole states for some.I'm more of a traditionalist myself. I wouldn't even skip a section just to come back to it later unless I was running out of time for Baxter.

Well the southern end of the state has PenMar Caledonia and Pine Grove parks so there are plenty of opportunities for thrus to yogi food. The rest of the state has plenty of delis and towns on the trail so hiker feeds aren't really necessary.

WV MD and PA are pretty easy. While I was happy to come across a hiker feed in PA on my thru, I would have liked it more had someone taken the time to volunteer to cut back the prickers and tall grass so I didn't have to stop to pick ticks off me between Lehigh and Delaware Water Gaps.

I know that's not the answer you're looking for but there were plenty of hiker feeds in the south. Any reason in particular who want a hiker feed instead of trail maintenance? Some of us will actually stop to talk to day hikers, trailrunners and maintainers. The mid-Atlantic is a pretty boring section of trail.Calling PA southern can get you shot in certain circles.

I'm not against trail maintenance, I've just not done it before. But then I've not done trail magic before either. Trimming weeds, while necessary, isn't very glamorous. That said, helping build, roof, repair a shelter would be good. I've not looked around a lot but those big projects seem to be their own mini work vacations. I'm limited to weekends and holidays.

shelb
02-18-2016, 01:47
Whatever you do will be appreciated by many! Please, just be sure to Leave No Trace!

Thank you for your generosity!

Malto
02-18-2016, 07:26
I'm more of a traditionalist myself. I wouldn't even skip a section just to come back to it later unless I was running out of time for Baxter.

Calling PA southern can get you shot in certain circles.

I'm not against trail maintenance, I've just not done it before. But then I've not done trail magic before either. Trimming weeds, while necessary, isn't very glamorous. That said, helping build, roof, repair a shelter would be good. I've not looked around a lot but those big projects seem to be their own mini work vacations. I'm limited to weekends and holidays.

nor do you get the extra special attention that you get from giving hikers food that they don't need. This is exactly why I don't have a hero worship of many of the so called "trail Angels". I believe it is as much about "being someone"as it is a selfless act of kindness. The true heroes are those keeping the trail maintained so that we can hike even when it isn't glamorous and they don't show up on Facebook. just Bill nailed it.

Traveler
02-20-2016, 10:00
nor do you get the extra special attention that you get from giving hikers food that they don't need. This is exactly why I don't have a hero worship of many of the so called "trail Angels". I believe it is as much about "being someone"as it is a selfless act of kindness. The true heroes are those keeping the trail maintained so that we can hike even when it isn't glamorous and they don't show up on Facebook. just Bill nailed it.

Spot on and well said.

squeezebox
02-20-2016, 10:17
Do as high impact and as less ego as you can handle.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2016, 08:37
i'll be doing trail magic at gooch gap on march 1st
http://www.goodtricks.net/frameset6.html

Traveler
02-21-2016, 10:07
i'll be doing trail magic at gooch gap on march 1st
http://www.goodtricks.net/frameset6.html

Are you going to go with the "Making a Coin Come out of your Ear" trick, or just the usual three card monty and make their money disappear this year again?