PDA

View Full Version : Baxter in off-season

Casey & Gina
02-16-2016, 16:51
How do people do winter thru-hikes and other such off-season activities if Baxter is closed? Is the park closed to all prior to June 1 or is it just generally accepted to be a bad idea for SOBO hikers to try to start before then?

nsherry61
02-16-2016, 16:59
Baxter isn't closed. Apparently it is quite the winter wonderland/adventureland. . . It may, however, be a total pain to manage permits and reservations!

From Baxter's web site:

Above Treeline: Winter mountain hiking/climbing: Parties planning to winter mountain hike or climb (travel above treeline or off marked trails, including ice or snow climbing) in a single day are subject to the same registration process as winter campers. Please read the Policies & Procedures (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/WinterPolicy.htm) for Winter for more information. Permission for winter mountain hiking or climbing can not be granted over the telephone. Very fit skiers traveling in ideal conditions may be able to ascend Katahdin via the Abol Trail in a single day, but this is generally impractical because day users expecting to travel above treeline are required to register with the Park seven business days prior to the date of their climb. There are few if any ice climbs that can conveniently be done on a day-use basis, although there are a few moderate ice climbs near the Park Tote Road, such as those on the southeast side of Doubletop Mountain. (However, these routes also require crossing Nesowadnehunk Stream.) Winter Day Use Above Treeline Permit (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/pdf/WinterDayUseTreeline.pdf).

Casey & Gina
02-16-2016, 17:04
So...you just have to register for a permit a week in advance? I notice they define winter as ending March 31st - so are the rules the same in April and May as in June? Is there any permitting required during this time?

rafe
02-16-2016, 17:09
How do people do winter thru-hikes and other such off-season activities if Baxter is closed? Is the park closed to all prior to June 1 or is it just generally accepted to be a bad idea for SOBO hikers to try to start before then?

The latter. Winter thru hikes are quite rare, sobo winter rarer still. Baxter isn't exactly closed, but I really don't know the rules and regs for accessing Baxter and Katahdin in winter.

What I do recall from my Baxter hikes is applying in early January for shelter reservations in summer. We always got the dates we asked for, but -- one does not simply show up for backpacking treks in Baxter. Day use is allowed without prior reservation, within limits.

LoneStranger
02-16-2016, 17:18
So...you just have to register for a permit a week in advance? I notice they define winter as ending March 31st - so are the rules the same in April and May as in June? Is there any permitting required during this time?

There is a period between Winter closing and Summer opening when the mountain is effectively closed to hiking. Mud season is a good time to stay off most any trail in New England, but the alpine environment up there is extremely fragile. They err on the side of caution and only open the mountain once things have dried out enough. That is why the opening date is not specific and changes year to year based on conditions. Other parts of the park may be fully accessible for weeks before the summit reopens with normal rules in force as far as camping and parking permits.

SteelCut
02-16-2016, 18:07
A bit off topic but there is a current thread on Mountain Project discussing logistics for a winter climb of Katahdin. It discusses some of the winter logistics, etc. and has an interesting video showing conditions from last week.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/katahdin-winter-ascent/111416484

egilbe
02-16-2016, 18:39
The Tote road around Baxter is closed to vehicular traffic durung mud season. The park is open, but hiking is strongly discouraged until things dry out. The trails in Katahdin are opened on a case by case basis. Some trails will be open before others dur to safety concerns. I believe the last trail was declared safe to use on June 5th last year. Abol trail hasn't been open the last two years due to fear of a huge rock slide that shifted during the Winter that waas still unstable.