PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands area 30 miles hike?

K2 Travels
02-17-2016, 17:13
Looking to do a 30 mile section (3days, 2nights, with drive time). Was looking at Massie Gap to Damascus but I want to cut the creeper section / AT section out as it does not sound too great.

Thought maybe a Troutdale to Summit Cut hike would be nice but cannot find any information for access points at Summit Cut, anyone help?

Also thought a Fox Creek to Saunder Shelter hike would be nice but again not much information out there on it.

Looking for someone's opinion who has hiked this area before, any advice would be appreciated.

K2

Tuckahoe
02-17-2016, 17:36
Massie Gap to Damascus is probably my favorite. I will usually do the three miles to Thomas Knob, then camp in the woods about 100 yards beyond the shelter. From there hike to Whitetop and camp up there; finally hiking down to the point where the AT and the Creeper intersect and camp along there next to Whitetop Laurel Creek. I would agree that the AT from that point to Damascus is boring, I find that 12 mile section of the Creep through Whitetop Laurel Creek Gorge is rather nice and relaxing.

Gambit McCrae
02-17-2016, 17:46
Elk Garden to Teas Road is my favorite in southern VA.

K2 Travels
02-17-2016, 18:26
Where does Teas Road intersect with the AT?

K2 Travels
02-18-2016, 01:04
Leaning towards Fox Creek to Saunder Shelter side trail. Anyone have information on parking or access to Saunder Shelter side trail?

bigcranky
02-18-2016, 09:18
Saunders Shelter is on the top of Straight Mountain - there is no vehicle access. Closest points would be Straight Branch parking area, south, and the Hassinger Bridge parking area north. These are each several miles away.

You could start at the Mt Rogers HQ on Rt 16 and hike south to the Massey Gap parking area. That's about 30 miles I think, maybe a bit more. We hiked that last summer in two long days, but it makes a nice 3-day hike. Or end at Fox Creek, which is shorter but misses the High Country.

If I wanted a 2-night hike with the "grand tour" of the high country, I'd probably do a loop of the AT, Mt Rogers Trail, and Iron Mountain Trail. It's ~24 miles, you can park in several different places, and it hits the open balds as well as the deeply forested summits. I'd probably park at Grindstone campground (small fee, but safe), and do the loop clockwise - climb up to the Iron Mountain Trail, head east to the AT, then go north on the AT a short distance to the Hurricane Shelter -- there is some decent camping there and a great little creek. Then the next day, reverse course going south on the AT down to Fox Creek then up Pine Mountain and around past Scales and over toward Grayson Highlands. There are some excellent campsites along the creek just before you cross from the FS land to the state park near Wise Shelter (tent camping isn't allowed in the park, even though they have a shelter). Then the third day climb Wilburn Ridge, hike past Thomas Knob, to the junction with the Mt Rogers National Scenic Trail, which goes straight down to Grindstone and the car. It's a nice loop, and the scenery gets better each day.

Edit: if you get the Nat Geo map of Mt Rogers, this loop is pretty obvious -- also lots of ways to modify it as you hike.

K2 Travels
02-18-2016, 12:03
That loop looks nice, did not think of it.

This is what made me believe there may be an access trail near Saunders Shelter.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u651/knoop20/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqdkvvij1.png

K2

bigcranky
02-18-2016, 12:13
Well, yes, shelters usually have something nearby for maintenance, but it's often not publicly accessible.

Lone Wolf
02-18-2016, 13:29
there's a forest service road off of 58 that is 1.5 miles to saunders shelter