PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Village No longer Dry!

Max Power
12-19-2005, 00:03
I don't think hikers are lushes or anything, but this may be important news. The Village, which use to have many complaints from hikers due to their lack of beer, is no longer dry. You can now not only get beer and spirits from the peppercorn restaurant, but purchase beer from the local Texaco.
This may be comforting to many of you.

smokymtnsteve
12-19-2005, 00:25
there goes the neighborhood

that ole demon alkyhol

12-19-2005, 00:43
In this case I do not think that the beer at the village is not worth missing the Hike Inn.

Sly
12-19-2005, 01:04
Although I've never stayed at the Hike Inn, I have stayed at Fontana Village twice and had a great time. Everything is there and you're not so isolated. I also understand FV has better and cheaper rooms.

Besides having gracious hosts, what's so special about the Hike Inn?

Max Power
12-19-2005, 01:23
Although I have never stayed at the Hike Inn, Jeff and Nancy have a great reputation. I once stopped there to talk to Jeff about living and working in the area and he was very informative. It seems the personal service that they give is a little more special then what a resort can give.
I believe they both are fine establishments who compliment each other. Combined they make a nice entrance or exit from the Smokies.

Skyline
12-19-2005, 01:29
Although I've never stayed at the Hike Inn, I have stayed at Fontana Village twice and had a great time. Everything is there and you're not so isolated. I also understand FV has better and cheaper rooms.

Besides having gracious hosts, what's so special about the Hike Inn?

Nancy and Jeff are the top reason to stay there, and included in their room pricing they'll take thru-hikers to Robbinsville or wherever to do all the things you need to do.

I found a website (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49140-d226731-Reviews-Fontana_Village_Resort-Fontana_Dam_North_Carolina.html) that shows Fontana Village Resort room prices to average $109, but the Companion shows a hiker rate of $26pp, $5EAP. Quite a difference in quotes. I've stayed at the Hike Inn twice but never went into the Village, so could it be they have some cheaper lodging alternatives that wouldn't be on that website?

MedicineMan
12-19-2005, 02:44
like the personal service/shuttling jeff provides AND his ability to identify all the mountains you drive by to the trailhead-gives a nice perspective of the route.
enjoyed the pool at the village....
and have stayed at the cabins rented....its all good

peter_pan
12-19-2005, 10:05
Jeff and Nancy and the Hike-Inn get my vote...super folk.

Pan

Jaybird
12-19-2005, 10:19
I don't think hikers are lushes or anything, but this may be important news. The Village, which use to have many complaints from hikers due to their lack of beer, is no longer dry. You can now not only get beer and spirits from the peppercorn restaurant, but purchase beer from the local Texaco.This may be comforting to many of you.

will the Texaco deliver to the FONTANA HILTON???????????:D

Lone Wolf
12-19-2005, 10:24
No alcohol allowed at The Hilton. TVA strictly forbids it. Guns too.:D The village is very cheap to stay in. Beer makes it even better now. I'll be able to watch The Masters Tornament with a coupla cold ones.

max patch
12-19-2005, 10:52
Well, its not entirely a question of staying at FV or the Hike Inn. Another option is "neither." You can always go to FV to resupply and laundry and make to the dam. Don't have to stay at a hostel just because its there.

MOWGLI
12-19-2005, 11:08
No alcohol allowed at The Hilton. TVA strictly forbids it. Guns too.:D The village is very cheap to stay in. Beer makes it even better now. I'll be able to watch The Masters Tornament with a coupla cold ones.

LW, a couple is two in my book. How many is a coupla? :-?

max patch
12-19-2005, 11:36

Isn't the unit of measurement a six pack?

Couple = 2 six packs.

Lone Wolf
12-19-2005, 15:23
What max patch says.:)