PDA

View Full Version : Montbell bags

cheaphiker
12-19-2005, 05:28
Does any one have any opinions on montbell Alpine Down Hugger3? on their site its rated to 14f, 1.5oz and at $235. I've been looking at all other ul down bags and this price seems reasonable for these specs!
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.:sun

stag3
12-19-2005, 08:53
I have the Montbel Hugger #3 rated for 32 f, and I like it a lot. I got this last year and find it very confortable (good room). I've lost about 4 pieces of down over 6 nights of use. Compresses as advertised. The full zipper is good for the warmer nights, and I've used mine like a quilt. The half zippers will not let you do this. Did you look at the Super Stretch-a little more expensive, + 3 oz, but lots of wiggle room.

I've not tested the extreames in temperature---40 F is cold in South Texas.

DebW
12-19-2005, 11:41
I also have the Montbell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger #3. Specs are accurate. Loft is very even due to box baffling - down can't shift off the top of the bag. Nice fit and features. I'm happy with it.

stag3
12-19-2005, 12:00
DebW.

Have you used the bag over the 32F to 14F range? My reading of the Montbell literature is that 14 F is the real extream and 32 F is toasty warm. Other bag manufacturers use a single temp rateing. So comparing to others, is the Montbell a 14 F or a 32F bag?

cheaphiker
12-19-2005, 22:17
Thanks for all the input. Right now I'm still shopping around for a light weight down bag, and this one peeked my interest. If any one could suggest what to add-on to this particular bag to use for when temps drop down to the low 20's to high teens?(overbags, liners, quilts) and associated costs.

DrewNC2005
12-19-2005, 22:31
I have the Mont-Bell UL Super Stretch #2 and it is rated from 24f to 5f. I've slept in 24F weather with a t-shirt and shorts and one pair of smartwools and been very comfortable. With more clothes, I could see how you could hit 5f. Great bag - go with the long if you are 6 ft or over.

hustler
12-20-2005, 01:04
My room mate has one and likes it overall. He has complained a bit about how it comes unzipped of the coarse of the night. Has anyone else had this problem or does he just sleep weird?

DebW
12-20-2005, 12:10
DebW.

Have you used the bag over the 32F to 14F range? My reading of the Montbell literature is that 14 F is the real extream and 32 F is toasty warm. Other bag manufacturers use a single temp rateing. So comparing to others, is the Montbell a 14 F or a 32F bag?

I'm a cold sleeper. I'd rate it 35-40 for me to be comfortable sleeping in the open (ie. shelter, hammock) without clothing. Inside a tent the 32 rating might be accurate. I wouldn't try pushing it below that. The loft is around 4 - 4 1/2 inches.

kncats
12-20-2005, 20:34
Mont Bell may be using something similar to the European EN 13537 standards for sleeping bag temperature ratings.

The upper limit is based on a "standard" man as the highest temperature without sweating to have a compfortable night sleep.

There is a comfort rating based on a standard woman having a comfortable nights sleep.

A lower limit based on a standard man as the lowest temp to have a comfortable nights sleep.

And finally, the extreme rating is a survival rating for a standard woman.

4whim
01-31-2006, 20:59
I purchased a down montbell ul last year,,,compresses great,,,but cold sleeper - I found (of all things), my derriere got cold even though had fleece tights and warm clothes on at nite,,,,found that rating was about 10 degrees off (kep in mind,,,female sleeper so that may be part of discrepancy).

DebW
02-09-2006, 12:00
4whim, if your butt is cold while lying on your back, you need a better pad. It's got nothing to do with the sleeping bag unless your butt is cold while lying on your side or stomach. If side sleeping, make sure that the bends in your body are not compressing the loft of your bag.

4whim
02-09-2006, 20:09
thnx for info DebW. I was missing my thermarest out there and planning to take it,,,makes sense cuz on all my car camping travels where I have had my thermarest,,,no prob!